Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM

14 posts, read 15,113 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to retire in a month. Wife not working and for some reasons have no social security. Have enough money and mortgage is almost paid off. So money, invested wisely, is not exactly a worry.

What scares me to death is that I will have no value to offer to the world. I know I am much more intelligent and productive than my peers and others who are 15-20 years younger than me. But suddenly, all my experience and ability to achieve results is going to go waste. I look at my friends output and feel bad as to how come they are producing such bad results. I can almost certainly do better than most of them.

On the other hand, I am sick of taking any criticism from any of the bosses. Not merely that, I am emotionally exhausted as I have always put so much pressure on me to make my work be good. I have high BP, some obesity, bit of ADHD. Not working is certinly going to me stress free. I know I can read, spend time for music, movies, travel.

Still, fear of losing professional work does scare me. Has anyone else felt the same? If so, how did you over come this? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:37 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Take some time off, then visit www.VolunteerMatch.org

There is no greater honor than to be of service to our fellow mankind. Now that "we" are retired, there is time, and opportunity to give back to society. Spend some time making the lives of others better and you will never feel worthless.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
There is no greater honor than to be of service to our fellow mankind. Now that "we" are retired, there is time, and opportunity to give back to society. Spend some time making the lives of others better and you will never feel worthless.
Thank you. Will certainly look into this.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Spend even a little time on this forum and you will find your concerns arise very often. Some people truly do have a lot of difficulty with retired living. Others of us thrive. In my case I began retirement with lots of things I wanted to do, to see and to accomplish. My list just keeps growing.

The "results" I am trying to achieve are much different than when I worked. My career was in a highly technical field. I wanted to develop my non tech skills, my artistic and creative abilities. Retirement is the time to look at your abilities, your passions, your interests and to set new goals in life.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:07 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Volunteermatch is a wonderful site. There are many ways to feel productive in this life. And if the one that's earned a living has caused health problems and so much stress (as has mine and OP's) then surely there's a better way to feel productive.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Volunteermatch is a wonderful site. There are many ways to feel productive in this life. And if the one that's earned a living has caused health problems and so much stress (as has mine and OP's) then surely there's a better way to feel productive.
Yes, just registered and applied for two assignments. Thanks a lot to you and Volosong.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
I think some of us go through this.

I was in the military. A senior NCO. I remember I was in a grouchy mood one day and walked into a county government office. For a while there I was highly ticked off that they didn't stand up when I walked in! I quickly came to my senses and snapped out of that.

Might take you a while to let go and separate your prior work life from everyday life. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:14 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
I also do a lot of volunteer work and have gone back to attending church.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:25 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phakt View Post
Hi,

I am going to retire in a month. Wife not working and for some reasons have no social security. Have enough money and mortgage is almost paid off. So money, invested wisely, is not exactly a worry.

What scares me to death is that I will have no value to offer to the world. I know I am much more intelligent and productive than my peers and others who are 15-20 years younger than me. But suddenly, all my experience and ability to achieve results is going to go waste. I look at my friends output and feel bad as to how come they are producing such bad results. I can almost certainly do better than most of them.

On the other hand, I am sick of taking any criticism from any of the bosses. Not merely that, I am emotionally exhausted as I have always put so much pressure on me to make my work be good. I have high BP, some obesity, bit of ADHD. Not working is certinly going to me stress free. I know I can read, spend time for music, movies, travel.

Still, fear of losing professional work does scare me. Has anyone else felt the same? If so, how did you over come this? Any advice?
Yes there is and can be the fear of losing your professional life. Yes there is if you want the adrenaline raising excitement of being redefined and reinvented in a life revolving around you and the wife and your joint experiences which are still to be defined. Now is the time to shift to finding the value of you, for you and your family. You may find it amazing what provides you great joy in life. As my wife said to me today before we headed out of town that people would laugh if they knew that one of our great joys earlier today was seeing 10-12 Yellow Finches on one feeder. They were all there because a squirrel was being a pain on the other side of the deck.

In fact our last 24 hours have been as we were discussing while walking along the shore line a dream and how lucky we were to be living it. It includes seeing a great production of Jesus Christ Super Star last night. Add in a great sea food dinner from Publix and what a Bada Bing 24 hours.

When we retired we had no idea what would play out. We had some hopes and questions and now almost ten years later we have answers and so will you if you welcome the adventure.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yes there is and can be the fear of losing your professional life. Yes there is if you want the adrenaline raising excitement of being redefined and reinvented in a life revolving around you and the wife and your joint experiences which are still to be defined. Now is the time to shift to finding the value of you, for you and your family. You may find it amazing what provides you great joy in life. As my wife said to me today before we headed out of town that people would laugh if they knew that one of our great joys earlier today was seeing 10-12 Yellow Finches on one feeder. They were all there because a squirrel was being a pain on the other side of the deck.

In fact our last 24 hours have been as we were discussing while walking along the shore line a dream and how lucky we were to be living it. It includes seeing a great production of Jesus Christ Super Star last night. Add in a great sea food dinner from Publix and what a Bada Bing 24 hours.

When we retired we had no idea what would play out. We had some hopes and questions and now almost ten years later we have answers and so will you if you welcome the adventure.
Thank you for the encouragement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement