Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM

588 posts, read 463,102 times

Advertisements

I went to look at a 55+ apartment in a "affordable housing" community to possibly move to.

I came away with some deep reservations and I would like your comments.

The main issue is that there is only one way in or out...through the large multiroom café, sitting area. Inside that area it appears that this is where the retired sit. Some are on ventilators, oxygen, sitting in wheelchairs, some are asleep and some are just very very old and infirm.

In a way I feel heartless to even say this....but I have a real problem having to enter and leave the building while this large group of people gets to watch my coming and going. And the fact that this group of people are really sick and infirm.

I realize that I may just end up like one of these people. I am 62 now and poor health is just one of the things I will meet as time goes by.

So, what do you think. Am I being unduly concerned?

The apartments are fantastic and the price is great. I really am in a quandary about this. Is this normal that I don't want to live where the really old and infirm hangout all day?

I appreciate your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Yeah, it's depressing. I lived in a condo like that. The upside is, I felt "young" at 60!

This is just the trade-off you're going to get in a senior living place. I'm visiting my sister in a place like that right now and she says she feels like you do. Comes with the territory.

I guess we gotta face it....downer though it is. There might be fire escape stairs you could use to avoid that scene. We had that in the condo I lived in and lots used it for that very reason....

Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
A friend of mine recently moved into 55 plus, income restricted housing. Firstly, to live in one of these you would need to have low income, usually around $30k, and that includes all sources. She is a very active, positive, social person and the adjustment has been challenging and can be down right depressing at times. She was very lucky to get in as the waitlist can be long. You are still young and keep in mind that these places don't provide health care, unless you are talking assisted living facility, which are usually expensive. But if you can still drive and get out and about, you Can have a respite each day and do your own thing.There does seem to be a divide between those who are active and those who are disabled/ill. It would be a big mental/emotional adjustment that you might not need/want to face until you are much older.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM

Yes, I am very grateful to say that I am healthy, fit and enjoy doing healthy and fit things. I still work part time and my income is under $30,000 and my assets are good. I just choose to live a frugal lifestyle and am keeping the bulk of my liquid assets for the times ahead (medical etc.).

This 55+ community does not have a means test. So all I have to do is show my income.

Loveautumn, I agree, it is a very big emotional adjustment and I am leaning toward not going into this community. Not right now, anyway. When life has slowed down and I feel like I want to just sit in the main area with the other "old folks" I will revisit this.

Sand and Salt....yes, it does suck.
The apartments are just awesome but the environment...not so much. Sad, really, really sad. So many sick people at this place.

More comments, please.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:25 AM

419 posts, read 387,811 times
Since moving there is not a matter of financial necessity, I would not be in any hurry to move there. I think living in those circumstances would make me feel old before my time. In your position, I would choose living in a happier environment. At least you know you have this option available for somewhere down the road.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:13 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Is this the only place in the area for 55+ ?
In Denver there is an excellent 55+ community of multiple buildings in a campus-like setting. AFAIK, all have small lobbies like a standard apartment building. There is 1 central building with common areas for sitting, game rooms, restaurant, cafeteria, etc. The friend I would visit there used an electric scooter to get around.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Is this the only place in the area for 55+ ?
In Denver there is an excellent 55+ community of multiple buildings in a campus-like setting. AFAIK, all have small lobbies like a standard apartment building. There is 1 central building with common areas for sitting, game rooms, restaurant, cafeteria, etc. The friend I would visit there used an electric scooter to get around.
There are others, however, they are either for people with much more disposable income or they are way too far away from where I work. The commute itself would cut off any disposable income I would have made going into "affordable housing."

Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
There is one I've seen pics of in Santa Fe. $3750 to start....beyond my income unless I use savings.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I don't much like the single entrance/exit from a fire safety standpoint, or do they have fire exits? Probably they do, but take a look at those.

In general I don't like apartments. Young rowdy, noisy people age into old rowdy, noisy people.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't much like the single entrance/exit from a fire safety standpoint, or do they have fire exits? Probably they do, but take a look at those.

In general I don't like apartments. Young rowdy, noisy people age into old rowdy, noisy people.
That is what struck me. That doesn't sound right. There have to be building codes that prevent the disaster that would be plain to see should there be a fire in a building with one exit and a bunch of people who can't walk.

My sister lives in a 55+, though it is attached units, condos and co-ops. She loves it, and it works for her husband, who is wheelchair-bound now. I would not choose to live in a 55+. The place where my sister lives is very nice, but it's depressing as hell that everywhere you turn, all you see is elderly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement