Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:09 PM

761 posts, read 604,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A lot of people from other countries say that about the United States.
My guess is Clark, people who stay in the US for retirement have roots / family / friends / and want to stay connected, or are too ingrown to this culture to even think of leaving for another country to retire.

Retirement in another country has a far off distance to it that might be off putting for some.

Some do indeed make the plunge, but these are a rare few in comparison. I don't think we as Americans reflect on other places that would be more fulfilling, places that might offer us a better way of life. Maybe we would feel like strangers intruding.

I love your point which is well taken, and you have me thinking about that statement more deeply.
Thanks for the cerebral massage.

Tidal dream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 12:22 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Mostly just want to stay healthy and continue doing things I love like riding my scooter on rural backroads, bicycle local rail trails, hiking with my dogs, golfing on my fav country course with my golf buddy, cooking, picking, reading, writing, blogging, doing photography, rescuing dogs and cats, watching old movies on TCM, eating, and napping. These are everyday things that I am already doing and have done for years. I just have more time to do them now. I wouldn't mind seeing the Grand Canyon, seeing the PNW, and traveling up into Canada. Right now I'm a 24/7 caregiver, so I am pretty limited regarding travel. But I am content for now. I mainly hope to keep good health and just continue to enjoy the simple things in daily life.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:32 PM

226 posts, read 298,138 times
I'm a list maker from way back. I had a list of things I wanted to do before I ever saw the movie and learned what a bucket list was. The trouble with my list is I keep adding more things to it than I scratch off. I do wish I had done some things when I was younger rather than wait for retirement because now I am not in good enough shape to do them.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
We've been knocking items off the bucket list at a quick rate over the past couple years since retiring. Just did another one a few days ago, walking through the mist cloud of Victoria Falls from the Zambia side during heaviest flow season. Unforgettable, I can still hear the non-stop thunder in my ears.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement