Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 PM

352 posts, read 263,094 times

Advertisements

We had a conversation at work today, as we do many days, about our future retirement as most of us are 2-5 years away from retiring. One thing someone asked was if it would be a good idea to use money (about $50,000 out of a $250,000 401k) to make up the difference in the money needed to purchase a house where they want to move to. This is money taken after they retire, not before retirement as a loan to be paid back. Is it better to be taxed on that amount when you withdraw it, or is it better to take out a mortgage for that amount. Some argue that they would take out a mortgage and claim the interest etc. on taxes. Others argue that they had rather take a hit tax wise rather than pay all the interest on a mortgage. When you first retire can you even take out a big lump sum like that on your 401K and then not take anything else for a few years if you don't need to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Not knowing the retirement budget 250,000 is not enough to take 50,000 out of at the beginning of retirement.

Do the mortgage and get the mortgage approved while you are still working. This is important.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:41 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
No way am I starting over with move and a mortgage after I retire. Hell my house will be paid off a few short years after that and I am happy where I live.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Let the facts / statistics guide you.
Do the math, run tax and future earning scenarios.

I will die with a mortgage. (no lost sleep over that, the Mortgaged money is spinning off excellent income)
401k (a taxable distribution) will not be used for paying down my personal mortgage. (during my short remainder of lifetime)

A few previous 401ks have already been converted (when I retired 10 + yrs ago) to IRAs which hold LLC which owns income properties (can buy / sell / rent / trade properties... no 'realized gains' / taxes unless the IRA LLC takes a distribution).

Some funds remain in 401ks for it's better asset protection (better than an IRA) and excellent investment choices abound and fees are very low.

When I get closer to age 65 or 70 my priorities may change.

IRAs, 401k's, retirement accts have grown 12 - 17% annually
Personal residence... I don't consider an asset, even tho the tax assessor thinks it is.
(Very high valuation growth area, (Federally restricted zone similar to National Park, no new homes allowed) and has increased 10x in valuation over my cost basis, but that is not very much over a period of 25 yrs)

Personal Residence looks like a Liability on my balance sheet (roof, maint, cleaning, taxes, insurance... income (?)... only IF you sell it... then you still may need a place to LIVE... nothing gained)

Old 06-06-2017, 03:29 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marid4061 View Post
We had a conversation at work today, as we do many days, about our future retirement as most of us are 2-5 years away from retiring. One thing someone asked was if it would be a good idea to use money (about $50,000 out of a $250,000 401k) to make up the difference in the money needed to purchase a house where they want to move to. This is money taken after they retire, not before retirement as a loan to be paid back. Is it better to be taxed on that amount when you withdraw it, or is it better to take out a mortgage for that amount. Some argue that they would take out a mortgage and claim the interest etc. on taxes. Others argue that they had rather take a hit tax wise rather than pay all the interest on a mortgage. When you first retire can you even take out a big lump sum like that on your 401K and then not take anything else for a few years if you don't need to?
BLUF - no that is not a good idea. You are still working if you wish to be done with the mortgage pay it off out of current income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Not knowing the retirement budget 250,000 is not enough to take 50,000 out of at the beginning of retirement.

Do the mortgage and get the mortgage approved while you are still working. This is important.

Do you mean pay the mortgage off while they are still working? I hope so. I am not sure what else you could mean by this.

Well you have got advice marid. I am not sure it is good advice. Yes you can take out a lump sum and do exactly as they said. You can pay the mortgage off or buy a new car or take a long trip someplace. Does that mean it is a good idea? Maybe but maybe not. Everything depends on your income in retirement. Do you have pensions? Did you inherit an estate? Are you planning a move in retirement? What income will you have in retirement?

Your post hints at stuff but there is really nothing to grab hold of and assist with the exception of the mortgage. As intriguing as it sounds paying the mortgage off with a large cash withdrawal from 401k is not good. First off when you withdraw for your 50k mortgage payoff add another 5k to pay the taxes on it. now instead of 200k you are left with 195k and while those numbers are close everything depends on the type of investments.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:11 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
BLUF - no that is not a good idea. You are still working if you wish to be done with the mortgage pay it off out of current income.

Do you mean pay the mortgage off while they are still working? I hope so. I am not sure what else you could mean by this.

Well you have got advice marid. I am not sure it is good advice. Yes you can take out a lump sum and do exactly as they said. You can pay the mortgage off or buy a new car or take a long trip someplace. Does that mean it is a good idea? Maybe but maybe not. Everything depends on your income in retirement. Do you have pensions? Did you inherit an estate? Are you planning a move in retirement? What income will you have in retirement?

Your post hints at stuff but there is really nothing to grab hold of and assist with the exception of the mortgage. As intriguing as it sounds paying the mortgage off with a large cash withdrawal from 401k is not good. First off when you withdraw for your 50k mortgage payoff add another 5k to pay the taxes on it. now instead of 200k you are left with 195k and while those numbers are close everything depends on the type of investments.
I am saying that they do not have enough saved for retirement (based on info given) and they should not take money out of the 401k to pay off mortgage.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marid4061 View Post
That is a big chunk out of that modest 401k balance. But, is there a pension? If the 401k money is just gravy, then it doesn't matter much.

If there's no pension and that 250k is all there is, goodness no.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
All I can say is ... O.... M .... G!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement