Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 AM

812 posts, read 796,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how about a renter who instead of tying up all that money in a house has it invested in other things with greater returns ?

that is flawed logic .
I don't think the renter would *have* all that money because it has been going to rent all those years, not building equity. The only way the renter has an advantage is if the cost of renting is cheaper than the cost of owning a house. (which I'm not convinced it is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:24 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
You’re of course right. Real-estate is not liquid, and does not appreciate monotically. There is a price of entry, and if a person can’t afford that price, then a vibrantly ascendant market is no boon; on the contrary, it just stymies one.

Your friend, though only starting out in life, managed to corral his expenses and to sustain the vicissitudes of daily life, waiting long enough to realize a substantial gain. And he did this without a trust-fund or winning the lottery. My guess is that what separates you and him, is a mere handful of small but enormously significant differences in luck and/or impulse decisions. It’s not that he was morally upstanding, while you were dissolute; or clever and enterprising, while you were dull and obdurate. You’d likely have done just as well, if that handful of turning-points turned in your favor. And a large part of this is the locale where one happens to reside.

I’d rephrase that, to say the logic isn’t so much flawed, as situational. Money that’s tied up, that is nevertheless earning a decent return, is no cause for regret. It can even be a comfort, as it’s shielded from wild gyrations. It’s the long-term tying-up at zero or negative returns, that’s so grating and unfortunate – especially while the other fellow’s money, though equally tied up, is growing handsomely.
Exactly. People trying to break into the Nashville market today have a much higher barrier to entry to clear than he did. It's even worse in places like Seattle that have seen steeper increases. For the older generation, who were just so fortunate to have lived in a Seattle, San Francisco, etc., then cashed out, that's great. For others who lived in less prosperous areas, they couldn't have reasonably assumed real estate values would have marginally increased, at best, by their retirements.

It would have been difficult to impossible to predict that these areas would see anywhere near the gains they have. It would also have been difficult to forecast that many previously fairly decent small to medium sized metros and rural areas would be seeing a generation of decline to stagnation, if generous.

Most of his gains came from the fact that he happened to move to a major city right after graduation. That set him on a path to far greater potential real estate capital gains than those of us in small towns. While there was no guarantee of any massive boom, the likelihood of it happening was higher. His neighborhood is an exaggerated example, but the trend is seen across the metro. His timing was also great.

His income is probably close to what twice mine is, but the real estate decision was as much good luck as anything else.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:01 PM

21,952 posts, read 13,019,895 times
"The only way the renter has an advantage is if the cost of renting is cheaper than the cost of owning a house. (which I'm not convinced it is)."

That still isn't an advantage because you're not building equity in the future; you're just spending less in the present.

Which, granted, is all most people seem to care about or even be able to think about (sigh).

Last edited by otterhere; 06-06-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I don't think the renter would *have* all that money because it has been going to rent all those years, not building equity. The only way the renter has an advantage is if the cost of renting is cheaper than the cost of owning a house. (which I'm not convinced it is).

Cost of renting vs owning varies by time and place. For the past several years, owning is cheaper than renting in like 48 of the 50 largest markets, but at most times and in most markets, renting and owning are financially more equal.

However, in times and places where renting is cheaper than owning, renters typically enjoy only an ephemeral advantage, because fixed-rate mortgage P&I payments remain fixed, while rents tend to just go up and up.

So renters who pay less today to rent than to own often find themselves five years down the road paying more to rent than they would be paying if they had bought.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"The only way the renter has an advantage is if the cost of renting is cheaper than the cost of owning a house. (which I'm not convinced it is)."

That still doesn't give you an advantage, because you're not building equity in the future; you're just spending less at the moment.

"You're just spending less at the moment" is precisely how so many poor personal finance decisions are made, e.g. people who choose the "lower monthly payment" over lower interest rates and lower total costs.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Well HE actually DOES "have" all that money because he made a boatload during his working years, plus he enjoys "stabilized" rent in NYC, a luxury most American renters can only dream of.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

That still isn't an advantage because you're not building equity in the future; you're just spending less in the present.

Which, granted, is all most people seem to care about or even be able to think about (sigh).
I was assuming that the money you save would be invested, sort of what mathjak was suggesting. In reality though, that probably doesn't happen often.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Cost of renting vs owning varies by time and place. For the past several years, owning is cheaper than renting in like 48 of the 50 largest markets, but at most times and in most markets, renting and owning are financially more equal.

However, in times and places where renting is cheaper than owning, renters typically enjoy only an ephemeral advantage, because fixed-rate mortgage P&I payments remain fixed, while rents tend to just go up and up.

So renters who pay less today to rent than to own often find themselves five years down the road paying more to rent than they would be paying if they had bought.
Good point!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I was assuming that the money you save would be invested, sort of what mathjak was suggesting. In reality though, that probably doesn't happen often.
Again, in what? The days of 12% interest are gone forever, and stock market is riskier than ever. The best thing to invest in is real estate.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For every one of those, I can match it with the sap who bought Florida, Phoenix, or Vegas property in 2006 and was wiped out.
Bought with money the buyer didn't actually have, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement