Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are together all the time since I retired. There are times he is in his man-cave on the computer or out in the garage.

Since the weather has been nice we have started our walking/hiking, been twice this year. We tend to chatter a lot on our walks. At home I like to go out on the patio and listen to music on my phone and dose, he watches tv.
We run errands, go to bed at the same time, etc. He gets up before me and lets me sleep and does a few chores.

We talk a LOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 08:36 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
My older brother says "after 40 years there is nothing left to talk about".

Been married 40 years and yes still plenty to talk about there is a new adventure as we move into a new state, our new roles as grandparents, books we are reading, current events, new hobbies, cooking together. We walk a lot and talk. We are together a lot but we also have our own space to do things, spend time with friends. Maybe we will get tired of each other but until Then we are going to have as much fun as possible and care about each other.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Every day we talk about things. We laugh every day. We make a point of laughing together.

Been together since 1969. Still best fiends. Still head over heels in love. Still play grab ass.

Life is wonderful with my wife. It will never change.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My spouse and I are together all the time since I retired. There are times he is in his man-cave on the computer or out in the garage.

Since the weather has been nice we have started our walking/hiking, been twice this year. We tend to chatter a lot on our walks. At home I like to go out on the patio and listen to music on my phone and dose, he watches tv.
We run errands, go to bed at the same time, etc. He gets up before me and lets me sleep and does a few chores.

We talk a LOT!
The woman that got us together all those years ago lives in Hurst.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:27 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Been together since 1969. Still best fiends.
I got a chuckle this morning from that typo.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't know - maybe being in the workforce kept them apart and they wanted to be attached at the hip.

I'm the opposite - I love to see couples doing things together.

I have relatives that don't even know where their husbands are for days. Are glad to say that they can finally be alone for a couple of days. It is just sad.
From their perspective, besides politics , if they do everything together, what do they have to talk about? They both know exactly how each other spent their entire day, firsthand.

And speaking from the outside, if I want to do something with a long-time friend or talk with a friend it annoys the h**l out of me when they drag the husband with them. They didn't do it when they were younger or when we were both in the workforce. Why now? I'm sorry if he has nothing to do except hang around with a bunch of women but don't foist him on me. I didn't marry him and he's not my friend. By the way, I never see the reverse. I never see a retired husband who drags his wife with him to meet ups with his friends. Tell me you have ever seen a group of, let's say, 4 guys and one who has a wife tag along.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
From their perspective, besides politics , if they do everything together, what do they have to talk about? They both know exactly how each other spent their entire day, firsthand.

Well my husband isn't in my head and know every thought or idea I'm coming up with for my art, in my studio or hanging out with my friends. Sheesh do people not think outside the box and think a couple can't be best friends and have fun together. We laugh, we joke around we explore . As for the idea a spouse can't surprise the other even after 40 years hah! I sure as heck surprised my husband the other day.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Every day we talk about things. We laugh every day. We make a point of laughing together.

Been together since 1969. Still best fiends. Still head over heels in love. Still play grab ass.

Life is wonderful with my wife. It will never change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I got a chuckle this morning from that typo.
LOL! Some days it's not too far from the truth.

Good to see you posting. Everything still going well?

Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

And speaking from the outside, if I want to do something with a long-time friend or talk with a friend it annoys the h**l out of me when they drag the husband with them. They didn't do it when they were younger or when we were both in the workforce. Why now? I'm sorry if he has nothing to do except hang around with a bunch of women but don't foist him on me. I didn't marry him and he's not my friend. By the way, I never see the reverse. I never see a retired husband who drags his wife with him to meet ups with his friends. Tell me you have ever seen a group of, let's say, 4 guys and one who has a wife tag along.
Big no-no. I would never do that unless there was no option. A friend of ours went to GNO with my wife and some others. She had eye surgery and couldn't drive so he had to. Being as cool as they always were he went to a different part of the restaurant and ate there.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Well my husband isn't in my head and know every thought or idea I'm coming up with for my art, in my studio or hanging out with my friends. Sheesh do people not think outside the box and think a couple can't be best friends and have fun together. We laugh, we joke around we explore . As for the idea a spouse can't surprise the other even after 40 years hah! I sure as heck surprised my husband the other day.
No story? No pictures? No video? Sheesh what is the world coming to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement