Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
A lot of salads during the summer. I like to grow a variety of tomatoes, so need something to use with them.

Breakfast it is usually just coffee and maybe cereal unless we go out. I usually do a combo of lunch and dinner - a sandwich maybe. I love sandwiches. And pasta too.

I hate to cook now but wasn't always like that. Don't know what happened. Now I just eat to live, not live to eat! Unless i'm at a restaurant.
For sandwiches do you use bread, or experiment with pocket bread, wraps, tortillas, lettuce wraps, pita bread, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Get a slow cooker & throw meat, savories, veggies, seasoning & broth in there in the a.m. & in the p.m you will have dinner & meals to freeze for several days. I usually cook brown rice with this but a potato in the microwave takes just 5 minutes.

My brown rice also goes great with beans, I usually use Goya's preseasoned varieties, with chicken, either rotisserie bought or thighs thrown into a pan with onions, etc...

Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
For sandwiches do you use bread, or experiment with pocket bread, wraps, tortillas, lettuce wraps, pita bread, etc?
I like ciabatta bread and croissants for sandwiches -especially tuna - mmmm

Never tried lettuce wraps. And being Hispanic, tortillas are a staple, but not for sandwiches. That was considered last resort if you wanted to eat a sandwich and were out of bread - lol. We laugh about having to eat hot dogs or lunch meat in tortillas.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:13 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Get a slow cooker & throw meat, savories, veggies, seasoning & broth in there in the a.m. & in the p.m you will have dinner & meals to freeze for several days. I usually cook brown rice with this but a potato in the microwave takes just 5 minutes.

My brown rice also goes great with beans, I usually use Goya's preseasoned varieties, with chicken, either rotisserie bought or thighs thrown into a pan with onions, etc...
Instead of the slow cooker, may I recommend an Instant Pot? I found one on Amazon for around $80 which serves as a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, and has 4 more functions, all in ONE device.

I need a pressure cooker and am considering buying this so I can clear my cupboards in my small kitchen of several other appliances that are taking up room. Oh, this can saute too, so you don't have to dirty a pan if you're going to finish your dish in the slow cooker. If you make your own yogurt, buy the 7-function for $20 more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFEBQH1...=1CAFBPA4610HJ

Old 06-09-2017, 09:16 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I started using Thomas' English Muffins for sandwiches.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I started using Thomas' English Muffins for sandwiches.
oh love those too.

I learned how to make them - easy and so tasty.

I followed this video - recipe is in the comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwCJQ_RAP8

Old 06-09-2017, 11:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
While this is a soup recipe, it's a very filling meal by itself with a side salad. You did ask for recipes, so here a link for Pasta E Fagioli. I make this one quite often and vary my ingredients a bit each time. I've even used a can of mixed veggies instead of fresh or frozen. I've also used smoked sausage instead of the Italian sausage.

The leftovers go into the freezer. I use a piece of masking tape and and use a marker to put what type of food and the month/year on this small label.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
I do a lot of cooking and freeze things in portion sized packages. While I'm cooking, I listen to audio books I get from the library.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:22 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
oh love those too.

I learned how to make them - easy and so tasty.

I followed this video - recipe is in the comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwCJQ_RAP8
I will try that. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
When DH is elk hunting or when I'm in Mexico for the winter I don't want to cheat myself out of the good meals we eat when we're together. I like things from scratch and don't often care to buy ready-made meals unless it's something from a favorite restaurant.

Here are some of my favorites:

A stuffed baked potato. You can use broccoli or cauliflower in cheese sauce or hamburger gravy. I like dried beef in cream gravy or canned corn with Mexican Velveeta.

A big salad with croutons, veggies, a hard-boiled egg, cheeses and cold meats.

Plain old tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich.

Keep potato salad and cole slaw in the refrigerator and have a sandwich with it. Sloppy joes. Keep a bowl of cut up fresh fruit in refrigerator and a couple of cheeses/cottage cheese to go with it.

Rice, beans and tortillas.

Potatoes and eggs. This is a recipe I got from some people from TX when DH was in the Army. Fry the potatoes with onions and drain. Scramble in a couple of eggs. Eat it with ketchup!

Make nachos from chips, cheese, salsa, onions, olives, what-you-may-have.

Mac and cheese.

Those are a few of my go-to comfort foods that are quick and usually ingredients I have on hand. It doesn't stop me for a splurge or two now and then - shrimp and pasta, a steak or kabob, even one of those little lobster tails.

And it's rare not to have a couple of one or two person-sized meals of leftovers in the freezer of something that was more time-consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement