Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:19 PM

310 posts, read 446,998 times

Advertisements

Humility: When an elderly volunteer at the hospital takes you in a wheelchair to your car after surgery. Lucky we have elderly people who still want to volunteer. Bless them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:58 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
We have an admin in my office who is 76, my boss is 72.

Sorry, folk, but I'm checking out, reclaiming my freedom in December at 62 years old.

I think they are nuts to keep working. Sad really.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That means wanting to have someone else determine or affect so many other things about your life:
-- when you get up, when you go to bed
-- which days you have free
-- and therefore which times you can do others things: seeing family, taking a trip, golfing, bowling, knitting, gardening, whatever.
Turning 65 in 2 weeks with no plans to retire, though financially I could have years ago. I enjoy appraising homes and have been doing it successfully for 25 years. NOBODY tells me how much work to accept, when I go to bed or get up or which days I have free. My life is entirely my own. But I enjoy meeting new people and seeing how they live. My work takes me around the city and allows me to keep up with what's new around town. As for the report writing, I do it with a good movie or TV show on in the background, so it's very pleasant. I am not breaking rocks here, my job is VERY easy. I left my house at 12:30 today and was back by 2:00. The report will be written in about an hour and for that I pocket $ 600 bucks. What's not to love about that ?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:11 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Depending on the kind of nursing, it can be pretty physical. Who do you think does the bedpan on that 350 pound patient?
There are special bariatric lifts that can move people much larger than that.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 607 times
Default Why people want to work into elderly years?

I am 65+ years old, immigrant from Scotland, working in the San Diego County area for 51 years. 9 yrs. working for employers, and the balance working for myself. College education and NO degree. Family became citizens of the US in the late 30's.

My generation's mindset was, "Get an education, get a JOB,
work hard for someone else, and SAVE for your future."

My public school system lacked two critical mandatory topics of study. Financial literacy and entrepreneurial opportunities.

I was the lone wolf of the family who hated working for someone else and quickly learned I hated being
told what to do, how to do it, and how much I was worth. "Working for the man, both night and day!"
BS!

My point. We all have choices. We always have, and we always will be able to choose our destiny.
Education I had to pay every dime for back in the 60's is free today for a lot of people. There was NO
internet, NO crowdfunding, NO easy way to live off the SYSTEM. I had to make it or not. No free rides,
no handouts.

Three separate businesses in 42 yrs. First business failed after 6 years from a recession. Had to rethink
a new plan, struggle to earn a living for four years so I could save for my second business. Had to see
the opportunities from the recession. Note: I was single with no family to support.

Next point. I did not give up! I learned from my mistakes. I learned from a mentor who taught me how
to survive in a downturn. Fast forward today........

The internet is now my main source of income, with investments for residual income. I domicile in a
income tax free state, and visit California. I freely choose to work part time on the internet which
gives me all my monthly expenses plus savings. My purpose is to help other people with my business.
I LOVE my work because it gives me satisfaction to help desperate people and make a living. Freedom
of choice and risk is not for everyone. Security is not guaranteed.... My life, my choice.

Conquer your fears, and live your life on your terms. My two cents.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:48 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why do you assume that is the case?

I work because I want to and because it's still fun to grow the business.

Freedom means the freedom to choose. If you're conforming to what retirement "should be" then that's not free at all, is it?

That's too bad. I think more people would benefit from spending time working for themselves. It's a little like a high wire act without a net. You find yourself doing things you never thought you could do.

Agree. Own our own business and all these years later, it sort of runs itself. Great employees. We take off when we want. Don't work on Friday's. Now we are going into other areas that will take a year or so to establish. At the high wire without a net stage for new ventures.

We LOVE our work, don't need the money. It fulfills us. I see neighbors retired that what they occupy their time with sounds boring.

And the worrying about money I read on hear. Why retire? Seems like so much of it to say you did? (Seems to be huge with the midwest group).
Tried that in our 40's and early 50's. Learned we need to keep the brain going and connecting with people. Knowing what is going on in the outside world. If I retire, many life long clients we'll lose contact with. Some of these folks we've known since the 70's.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:56 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We have an admin in my office who is 76, my boss is 72.

Sorry, folk, but I'm checking out, reclaiming my freedom in December at 62 years old.

I think they are nuts to keep working. Sad really.

Why sad?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2017, 04:58 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
I loved my job ! Looked forward to it everyday and being self-employed I worked some long hours. But when I got to 62 I took early SS and only worked part time. After a couple of years I sold most of my tools to force myself to take it easier. I stay busy all the time doing things around the house that I neglected during my working years. When one of my old customers would call me up to hire me I'd tell them to 'hire a young person, they need the money'. I took my share out of the workplace and now it's time to give someone else the chance.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 PM

289 posts, read 220,060 times
I'm decades away from retiring myself, my plan at the moment is to work until I'm 60 and then call it quits. All of my planning is predicated around 60. If I run into a bit of good luck I'll move that up by a couple of years, of course things might change and I'll want to continue working but I doubt it at the moment. I think traveling is the greatest thing a person can do, I need to do it when I god willing have the health and ability to do so.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:42 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
My dad will be 72 in August and still works as a social worker at the local hospital in the hospice ward. He makes excellent money and still gets a pension and social security on top of it. He could live comfortably enough without it ($3000 a month net) but likes having structure to his day and being able to help people. They give him his choice of hours, so he works starting at 11 A.M., takes a hour lunch break and goes home at 7. He gets a lot of vacation time if he chooses to use it and can literally travel wherever he wants in luxury. He couldn't travel that well if he was on a fixed income. Plus, his job doesn't involve any manual labor so as long as his mind is good he can do it forever. Goes out to the best restaurants, never worries about money and it keeps him active and sharp. Plus, it is only two miles away from his home. A lot of his friends the same age that retired early lack the discipline and focus work can give, not all but some. It depends on the person. For him, it seems to be a good thing. My mom retired early and is constantly having health issues even though she took care of herself better. He never gets sick even though he smokes cigars and eats worse. I find that interesting.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 06-12-2017 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement