Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 01:16 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,710 times

Advertisements

You're not the only one. I think about all the stuff I need to do either on-line or in the real world when I'm trying to sleep. Then in the morning I remember I have to do something but can't remember what. So then I surf the net hoping to be inspired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 02:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
I opened my computer to do something. I've forgotten what it was I wanted to do. So I'm browsing CD while I try to remember why my computer is open.

Am I the only one?
I don't think, unless there are other concerns you have anything to worry about. We all have these problems from time to time. Now, if you turned on the computer and couldn't remember what is was or you tried to get ice out of the microwave I would be concerned. This morning I did something similar to you: I play a game on the computer each day called "brain Candy" So, today, sure enough it came up, I played it and btw did very well. The subject was short term memory. As soon as I bragged to my hubby about how well I did I went on to City Data or something else. About 5 minutes later, I thought: you know I don't remember playing Brain Candy today, guess I better check it out. Of course within 20 seconds I started laughing at myself. :

Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I once read that this is when you should worry.

If you have forgotten where you put your keys, don't worry.

If you have forgotten what your keys are; worry.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:04 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Discovered C-D when we were thinking of relocating to N.C.; became addicted to all you folks. Wisdom, laughter, most caring folks, especially I believe when my DH moved to Heaven five years ago. So understanding ! Have Posted on and off, Forgot why I returned, as I Posted on the Chat Thread, am on a journey and I like journeying ? with you !

Nah! You are not alone---do you wanna be ? (I Vant to be alone-LOL)

Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I find when I'm rushed and there is mostly this one thing on my mind, short term memory goes out the window. I'll go in and intend to start more coffee, and discover I already had, but while I was doing it I was trying to figure out the best place to start on my project. When I'm in project mode, everything else sort of fades. And I'll get a few things done inbetween, but my mind still really isn't on them, like feeding the critters, and when I'm finished with the larger job, can't remember if I did. Of course my dogs wouldn't refuse another dinner. But if there's no empty cans, then their plan is foiled ;-)

My biggest project of late was finding all 61 posts from usenet of a long novel trek alternative war story (where they lost to the Dominion, of course). Usenet was sort of abandoned and you have to keep looking under a list of searches, and then when your copy the file, have to mark and copy, then save it in the editers format. This repeats for ever message, and takes time and lots of attention. I still have to reformat it but its saved now, and I'm doing a copy for backup. But the whole time the dogs were sure it was time for food, and when I go hunting for other stuff I've lost all my copies of, it will be after they eat.

I think at least for me there is an active memory and a delayed one, and when something is recent and active, its stays active, and if it becomes not, its stuffed away in some biological storage for later. But I'll remember that its there, and just have to tease it back. The best way seems to not try, just create the idea and when its there it pops back.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Discovered C-D when we were thinking of relocating to N.C.; became addicted to all you folks. Wisdom, laughter, most caring folks, especially I believe when my DH moved to Heaven five years ago. So understanding ! Have Posted on and off, Forgot why I returned, as I Posted on the Chat Thread, am on a journey and I like journeying ? with you !

Nah! You are not alone---do you wanna be ? (I Vant to be alone-LOL)
While other people were gaming and discovering the joys of downloading music, back in the 80's and 90's, I discovered message boards. We had some great ones and some bad ones, and the ones which lasted were the ones where people were caring and involved. Then, people often posted with their real name. We had some who kept themselves very unknown, like one guy who I actually met when there was a concert in town. Only once but it was cool knowing him. I figured it out when he changed his online name too.

But known or not known, I think message boards opened a rediscovered way of meeting. Back when people lived in small towns, or were isolated in parts of a city, they often had penpals. They might never actually meet, but they wrote and shared and got to know their penpal as a friend as much as those near could be. Message boards give you a way to be personal with distance, and all the small paragraphs in all the messages accumulate, and you get a real sense of a person you care about. Like the pre-modern penpal.

Some of my best friends started out on a bbs. One of them has passed, sadly, but she encouraged me to move where I have, and I got to know her and the 'family' personally, and she will always be remembered as a best friend I loved. I only wish she'd read my trek stories, but she found them a tad too dark... (yes, I am fascinated by survival and what it costs and that theme runs through my stories. My successful characters all have the 'survivor' gene.)

We live in this huge, busy society, and when someone sits down in front of the screen, and joints in a conversation in posts, they are dealing with real humans, not just screen names.

Last edited by nightbird47; 06-30-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I'm retired too.
Political?
Get on the political/controversy thread and start fights with the Trumpkins or start fights with liberals like me. It's fun. It keeps the mind sharp.

I can't count the times when the smarter Trumpkins send me back to my history and economics text books.
Enjoy.
Frustrating liberals on City Data with facts is my favorite past time.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:54 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,670,979 times
city-data.com--------it's like facebook without all the BS..(for the most part)

Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
city-data.com--------it's like facebook without all the BS..(for the most part)
I'm not on Facebook, but have kind of decided I should be. A lot of the stuff I really enjoy... fan fiction, some of the authors I enjoyed who write it, and just FANDOM. There are filk sites and people talking about conventions and I SO miss conventions. So I am prepared to compromise and make myself a page. Also put all my stories where they can be found.

My millenial son and his wife do live a busy life, currently working different shifts, but while his phone is never far, he's forgotten its also a phone. Maybe I could 'talk' more that way.

But what I like about City-Data is the range of subjects and conversations, and that it must be doing something right since its so busy and with much traffic.

Keep on doing whatever it is since good boards are wonderful.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:19 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
I discovered C-D when I took a hiatus from another message board. This is just ONE of the many windows that I have open at any given time. Right now, I have 10 Firefox pages open, 4 Chrome pages open, plus Wordperfect & two of my computer's libraries open. Some of the pages I have are my email, eBay, Facebook, the Weather Channel, My Yahoo (where I usually get my news), and a few cat stories. Can you say, "Multitasking?" It is normal for me to go from one page, to another and then go back to the first again.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement