Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

When I was in high school, a prestigious local figure showed me a lot about bodybuilding, nutrition, and proper training technique. I was just a kid lifting heavy. At that time, we both worked out at a more hardcore lifting gym. By the time I started college, I was in better shape than he was at the time - we were both significant steroid users. Even on a tight diet and steroids, I never got below 34" waist. I was 36" at 5'6" 220 at my peak. I looked like Ray Rice at my best.

In the last five years, I've fattened up due to a sedentary job, increased alcohol consumption, and poor diet. I did not drink alcohol all week last week and ate clean, and went from 239.9 lbs last Sunday to 227.3 lbs this morning. I felt a little more taut and spring in my step today. This is the first time I've been under 230 since moving back to Tennessee. I basically peed out 12 lbs this week.

I go to the same Y as he does. We see each other and small talk a few times a week. He wonders how I let myself fall apart like I did, and I wonder how he has a six pack and a million dollar home in this town in his mid 60s. He divorced his wife, and primarily dates perfect women in their 20s and 30s. He is a steroid user, but also has a significant level of medical knowledge and training, so he's going to be in better shape than most meatheads. I no longer exercise significantly, much less take steroids.

This man is short (5'6, 5'7 like me) and has an amazing lifestyle making hundreds of thousands a year and more women than most men could ever have. He's won multiple master's bodybuilding competitions in the region. He's extremely intelligent and a 1%er.

He makes most of his money off his profession, but also makes something in master's bodybuilding. I see him a few times a week, and this man looks better at 64 than most do at 24.

He says I still have more in the tank than I think. We lifted this evening and I am not far behind him with minimal training over the last year or so. I'm naturally a bigger man, but it surprises that such a small man is so strong and put together - at his age! The fact that this 64 year old outpaces 30 somethings is remarkable.

A man of retirement age with a six pack inspires me. He makes me want to be better than I am. He's someone we can all aspire to, not only due to his fitness achievements, but due to his financial achievements.

Do you know anyone like this? A senior fitness expert who is in better shape than most younger folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:07 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Sounds like you've met a mentor.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
He's rich, a womanizer, and sounds self-absorbed. Nope, don't know him and wouldn't want to be bothered.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:40 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
He's rich, a womanizer, and sounds self-absorbed. Nope, don't know him and wouldn't want to be bothered.
Wealth is a character flaw?

Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
What does height have to do with fitness? You have some strange notions...and I don't know how it is possible for ANYONE to lose 12 pounds in a week unless they have one of several medical conditions causing them to retain lot of fluids - like CHF, portal hypertension, etc. If I could lose 12 pounds in a week I'd have done it long before now so I guess he's a good motivator if you can curb your jealousy about his lifestyle - money and looks - yeah, he can get anyone he wants.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 AM

496 posts, read 552,893 times
What is a "perfect" woman?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He divorced his wife, and primarily dates perfect women in their 20s and 30s. He is a steroid user, but also has a significant level of medical knowledge and training, so he's going to be in better shape than most meatheads.

We lifted this evening and I am not far behind him with minimal training over the last year or so. I'm naturally a bigger man, but it surprises that such a small man is so strong and put together - at his age! The fact that this 64 year old outpaces 30 somethings is remarkable.

A man of retirement age with a six pack inspires me. He makes me want to be better than I am. He's someone we can all aspire to, not only due to his fitness achievements, but due to his financial achievements.

Do you know anyone like this? A senior fitness expert who is in better shape than most younger folks?
I do not consider your role model a fitness expert. A body builder may look fit but may not be as strong or have more endurance than an athlete or a gym goer who works on overall strength and fitness and not just building muscles. The fact that this person uses steroid casts doubt in my mind about his true fitness level and his 'medical knowledge'. The many bad side effects, health consequences of steroid abuse are well documented

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...-steroid-abuse

https://www.ultius.com/ultius-blog/e...uman-body.html

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/ar...e-effects.html

A rich man in his 60s who divorced his wife and surrounded himself with many young women of the same age as his children or even grandchildren does not sound very smart to me either. With this kind of lifestyle, I don't know how long he can stay in the 1% group (if this is true to start with).

If I had a son who aspires to be like this man, I'd definitely have a serious talk with him. My daughter had recently engaged to a hard working young man who is quite fit just like her. They are serious hikers, runners and very much into fitness and healthy living. I have no doubt that they will stay fit well into their golden years.

I know quite a few competitor rowers in their 60's & 70's in my rowing club. They don't have six packs but I bet they are much fitter and healthier than your body building idol. They may not belong to the 1% but all retired from long held good jobs and still being married to their 'old' ladies (many of them are also fit and healthy rowers).

Last edited by BellaDL; 06-26-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
When I was in college, we had a little "invitation only" workout group, headed by a guy who was at the time 61 years old, we worked out in what used to be a chicken barn, full of weights. I can't remember his name now, Bob something. He was never married, drove a 71 Nova with a built engine and 4-speed. When a new freshman showed up who was hardcore, the group would talk a bit and then generally extend an invitation. Effectively, this guy had a dozen particularly strong sons "on staff" all the time, although he seldom asked for any help from us.

At that time he held the unofficial bench press record for an under 200 lb man of any age - 490 lbs.

If he's still around he would be 101 years old.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
When I was in high school, a prestigious local figure showed me a lot about bodybuilding, nutrition, and proper training technique. I was just a kid lifting heavy. At that time, we both worked out at a more hardcore lifting gym. By the time I started college, I was in better shape than he was at the time - we were both significant steroid users. Even on a tight diet and steroids, I never got below 34" waist. I was 36" at 5'6" 220 at my peak. I looked like Ray Rice at my best.

In the last five years, I've fattened up due to a sedentary job, increased alcohol consumption, and poor diet. I did not drink alcohol all week last week and ate clean, and went from 239.9 lbs last Sunday to 227.3 lbs this morning. I felt a little more taut and spring in my step today. This is the first time I've been under 230 since moving back to Tennessee. I basically peed out 12 lbs this week.

I go to the same Y as he does. We see each other and small talk a few times a week. He wonders how I let myself fall apart like I did, and I wonder how he has a six pack and a million dollar home in this town in his mid 60s. He divorced his wife, and primarily dates perfect women in their 20s and 30s. He is a steroid user, but also has a significant level of medical knowledge and training, so he's going to be in better shape than most meatheads. I no longer exercise significantly, much less take steroids.

This man is short (5'6, 5'7 like me) and has an amazing lifestyle making hundreds of thousands a year and more women than most men could ever have. He's won multiple master's bodybuilding competitions in the region. He's extremely intelligent and a 1%er.

He makes most of his money off his profession, but also makes something in master's bodybuilding. I see him a few times a week, and this man looks better at 64 than most do at 24.

He says I still have more in the tank than I think. We lifted this evening and I am not far behind him with minimal training over the last year or so. I'm naturally a bigger man, but it surprises that such a small man is so strong and put together - at his age! The fact that this 64 year old outpaces 30 somethings is remarkable.

I'm not as much of a gym rat as your friend however suffice it to say I look better and am in better shape in my early 50s than I was at 40. One thing was I cut way back on alcohol, carbs and sugar. I'm not paleo per se but let's just say paleo inspires my diet.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:58 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Do you know anyone like this?
No, and neither do you. But your creative writing class is paying off.

At least you didn't make this older gentleman a relative this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement