Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 01:15 AM

186 posts, read 131,866 times

Advertisements

Wondered if I was the only one. Financially it makes sense but we'll be ok anyhow.

I can't imagine not working a few days a week for as long as possible considering I can keep this job or something akin to it working just a few days a week. Maybe work just seasonally being a campground host or something catering to summer vacationers.

Yet I want time to garden, go away for a few days at a time, maybe a whole weekend here or there.

Hubby is 8 yrs older so will be retired before I will.

Depression will probably set in if I don't work at least a few days a week, or seasonally

I want my kin to have more inheritance. Including grandkids. This world will only get worse.

Garden, cycle, church, travel a little...

Cycle alot

Looking forward to it

If you think you will be working full time or part time for as long as possible, what will you do for a living? why work at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 04:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,730 posts, read 58,079,686 times
1) Do realize any discussion of WORK on this forum constitutes a failure to comply with C-D Retirement Forum unspoken Code-of-Conduct - and you will be guilty as charged.!

Depends on the person(& ality)... some are quite content to fully retire an be leisurely.

Others are very engaged in family or volunteering.

Others prefer to do what many call "work" / jobs. (the Self employed / farmers / builders ...)

For a good gig (flexible, 'working' by choice (not need), and worthwhile pay) seems fine to me if someone "works" during retirement.

often for MANY reasons... (Healthcare is biggy + a few more dollars / something-to-be-engaged-within most cases).

We gave all our assets away (including house) while in our 40's, so no additional wealth gain here. But additional dollars during retirement flow to assist travel bug, or BIG toys. (bulldozers and such). Keeping a few business dollars flowing aids travel and tax scenarios. (income properties in different territories we like to visit, + minimal business activities (enough to depreciate the 'toys') . Any of the side businesses could be stopped when desired / needed. If I work-for-wages / travel / and / or for healthcare it is nightshift / flexible, as I prefer to have every DAY shift off. (As I did for 30+ yrs while working to support my farming / homeschooling habit). I don't turn down an overseas gig that will enable me more (paid) travel . (at the moment... early 'retired' (for 10+ yrs) and well below age 65.

Not enough time remaining in this life, I have plenty to do and long list of things to learn (from skilled trades, to music / languages / academia). Use it as best suits you and your companions (family / friends / pets / livestock / & strangers (new friends) you will meet today...)

Old 07-06-2017, 06:02 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
Have you done a search for other threads about this topic? There are numerous.......................................... ...

Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Many people on here will tell you there is no time for work. Unless you need the money there is too much to do. Maybe if you start doing some things you never did before like many on here your attitude will change. Many think retirement is more time to do the things you have always done. It is a time for new things, places, and people.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
For many of us the wonderful part about choosing between work and not having work it is our decision to make. Well some will have to work just to make ends meet there's a good number of us that won't.

I'm 68 and starting last month I went from full-time to part-time employment and I love it. I think my hours are rather unique, I have an 1,550 mile round trip commute so what I do is travel to work on a Monday and stay for 12 days coming back on a Friday. By doing it this way I am away from home for only one weekend.

I come home and stay home for 16 days a period covering three full weekends. Right now I'm home and the weekend coming up is my last weekend at home, next Monday it's back to work. I look at it like two weeks of vacation every two weeks!

And I really think I'm going to enjoy this schedule over winter because we live in snow country but work is centered along the Georgia-Florida state line where winter is more like fall. Not only that but once I'm at work there's no reason we can't be on a sunny Beach enjoying the warm sand in the three hour drive. All this vacation time and I get paid for it.

I get paid to make the commute and the travel trailer I live in is free.

As a bonus work keeps me physically and mentally active. The last thing I want to do is the end up in a lounge chair watching ME TV all day long. That sort of thing will kill you.

How long will I do this? The short answer is I will do it for as long as I feel like doing it. I see myself doing it for at least two more years and then, if I feel like it, I might go until I am 75.

Now that is freedom!

Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
I've been retired for over ten years and I think about getting a part time job.

But then I think about the people and animals that need me to be available and realize it's not possible. And yes, I've hit the spot where I'm getting the dreaded b word - bored.

These summer days can be long. I have an activity or event scheduled almost every day, but it's not the same. Oh well, we shall see how the rest of the summer goes.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:16 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times
No, neither. That is why it's called ''retirement''. And I am busy doing what I want, when I want, and I am never bored. And there is nothing wrong with doing ''nothing'' either. Spontaneous anything, including naps, is the really best part of retirement.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
I've been retired for over a year and a half. A friend asked I could fill in as a church secretary until they hired a permanent replacement. I said OK. After a week and a half I can say I hate it. The job is fine, the pastor is fine and the pay is fine, but working is really interfering with my life!

I want my retired life back!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 AM

199 posts, read 130,939 times
I see the desire to continue working as being healthy for most people, but the problem comes when it's included as part of your financial plan. A plan that tries to compensate for a delay in saving for retirement by planning to continue working as long as possible, is a plan that is fraught with potential pitfalls. Annually thousands are "forced" into early retirement by losing their job in their 50's and 60's and not being able to find suitable employment. Add in health and elder care risk and this plan looks more like a roll of the dice. If possible, everyone should try to plan for early retirement, whether they actually early retire or not is a secondary issue, what's important is creating that buffer to withstand what life may throw at you in the future. Too many people spend as if that income gravy train will never come to an end. Working as late in life as you desire and on your terms should be the goal.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:13 AM

745 posts, read 480,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoQueen View Post
Wondered if I was the only one. Financially it makes sense but we'll be ok anyhow.

I can't imagine not working a few days a week for as long as possible considering I can keep this job or something akin to it working just a few days a week. Maybe work just seasonally being a campground host or something catering to summer vacationers.

Yet I want time to garden, go away for a few days at a time, maybe a whole weekend here or there.

Hubby is 8 yrs older so will be retired before I will.

Depression will probably set in if I don't work at least a few days a week, or seasonally

I want my kin to have more inheritance. Including grandkids. This world will only get worse.

Garden, cycle, church, travel a little...

Cycle alot

Looking forward to it

If you think you will be working full time or part time for as long as possible, what will you do for a living? why work at all?
I loosely plan on retiring from full-time work at 62 and then I will decide if I want to take a low-stress part time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement