Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 01:32 AM

35 posts, read 43,364 times

Advertisements

I am 56, my husband died almost two years ago. I live in a beautiful home that is way too big and with a hefty mortgage payment--I should have moved right away, but losing my other half froze my brain, and I'm just waking up now. I need to work since retirement age is still several years away, and I need health insurance. I need to live near a bigger metropolitan area for job opportunities. Wish I could hole up in a little cabin somewhere and live off my savings, but that isn't in the cards, so hi-ho, hi-ho, it's back to work I go!

Anyway, besides being incredibly jealous of those of you still with your spouses and partners and enjoying a peaceful, stress-free retirement , I was wondering if any of you have moved into a retirement community while still working a full-time job. I think I would feel safer being a part of a community, and it would be nice to make friends again (my husband got ill right after we moved here so we couldn't make social connections, and my kids are across the country). I don't want to find that I would be isolated from people since I won't have the free time that others have. It sort of defeats the purpose of moving into such a community if one has to be around 24/7 to be a part of social activities.

Is this workable, being non-retired in a retirement community?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
Many people live in "retirement" communities and remain in the workforce either full or part time. The community can be a fancy 55 and up development or a set of independent apartment buildings.

In my mother-in-law's place, there are people who work in every building. Activities are both during the day and the evening. But you would have to check out any places you are interested in to see if they fit in what you need with your schedule. Generally the majority age of the population in the community you investigate will determine the times of activities. I assume you will be looking for a "younger" demographic.

Note: I moved into a suburban community and found that there were only two of us who either did not work or have a large number of kids. The two of us (thankfully we were neighbors) found out we were pretty much alone all day.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:59 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
The developer/manager/owner of my 55+ community up here in North Idaho once explained to me that the residents are roughly divided into three groups. Full-time retirees, snowbirds, and people who still work full-time. The ones who work are still part of the community, but sometimes felt left out as most activities are during the day.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-30-2018, 05:13 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarynB View Post
I am 56, my husband died almost two years ago.

I live in a beautiful home that is way too big and with a hefty mortgage payment--
I should have moved right away, but losing my other half froze my brain, and I'm just waking up now.
Does that mean you've got a RE agent to sell it soon? Don't dawdle.

Quote:
I need to work since retirement age is still several years away, and I need health insurance.
I need to live near a bigger metropolitan area for job opportunities.
Plan to move into a smallish rental near your job for a year or so.
Make some friends in the area. Do some dating.
Quote:
I was wondering if any of you have moved into a retirement community...
You're nearly twenty years from that decision.

Quote:
Thanks for any advice!
Once the house is sold and you KNOW how much you might NET from the sale
look into other living situations. But don't even think about these until the sale is completed.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
Since these communities call themselves "55+ Communities" rather than "Retirement Communities" I feel there are lots of residents who are approaching retirement but still working.

Start by doing some house clearing. Then receive estimates for the value of your home and its Net return to you after sale. Decrease this Net estimate by 10% for risk, then by $10K for money to improve/refresh/personalize your new home. Armed with this information you can then start looking to see what is available in your affordability range in communities catering to the 55+ crowd.

Best of Luck!

Old 06-30-2018, 05:57 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
The community I am familure with probably has 10% to 15% of the residents working full time as they are not ready to retire. Some retired individuals work part time for the socialization. I think an over 55 community is a good choice. If the community is still building new homes I think you will find younger neighbors in that area. But you will probably find better deals on homes in the older section. I think as the community gets larger you will have a better opportunity to find a group of people and activities that you fit in.

Waiting for a while after a death is a good idea.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:10 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,804 times
I am sorry you lost your husband and are facing this alone. But I can assure you from what I see in my development that you would have an active social life. I was in my late 50’s when I moved to this development which is 90% retired, but probably 15-20% single and I worked full time. Needed benefits too!! There are many activities both during the day and evening. There’s a very active singles group here. They go to shows, dinners, lunches, and trips. Many developments are maintainence free which would help significantly in things like yard work.

I never felt like I was missing out on things when I worked. Plenty to do after work, evenings and weekends. Very easy to meet new friends, and many are single.

What part of the country do you live in? That makes a difference too.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:00 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
I am in the process of downsizing. Oh, it is so hard to let go of stuff.

1) Starting today, make a box of items for Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. & bring it over!
(I am good at making boxes, not so good at handing them over!)

2) Make an appointment with a real estate agent to see your house.

3) Call you bank and get names and numbers of appraisal companies. Make an appointment with one.

4) Look at 55+ communities.

It is a wonderful idea to go into a 55+ community! Do something everyday to get you there.

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-30-2018, 07:18 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Go check out a few 55+ communities. Different communities have different demographics, and activities, etc. You are probably more interested in what are considered Active Adult Communities, rather than Retirement Communities. The difference between these two euphemisms is that the former has tons of activities ranging from hiking, cycling, kayaking, wine tasting, gardening, etc. The latter is more geared to the needs of folks in their much later years.

I agree that you should ask for calendars and schedules when you visit communities to ensure that there are activities available when you are off work. Tour the facilities, and talk as much as you can to the residents about how they like it, especially residents who seem to mirror your own age/ style. Many activities will be on weekdays and you might feel excluded. Of course in some jobs, you might not work a 9-5, M-F schedule and could participate. Also look into the married vs. couples demographic. Will you be uncomfortable participating if most of the other people are couples? Where I live many couples do their own activities individually and aren't joined at the hip. But some singles here have said they felt isolated anyway. I think that is more dependent on the individual, as I know other singles that are happy as clams here. I also know a lot of folks here who are still working full-time and they participate as they can during non-work hours.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:56 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,874,271 times
I have lived in 2 different 55+ communities over the past 10 years and there were definitely people still working who lived in both. My DH (currently age 66, 67 in October) worked the entire time we were in the first community, and he is still working now albeit part time. I (currently 65, but about to turn 66 in 2 weeks) actually worked for about 1.5 years full time and then another 2 years part time in the first community as well. There are some people here who still work full time.

You shouldn't have a problem at all. Yes there are a lot of things going on during the day, but also a bunch of things at night as well. Plus you can always make plans with your new friends in the evenings. Just clear out that too big house and check out some 55+ in the area you wish to relocate. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement