Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:18 AM

1,204 posts, read 935,624 times

Advertisements

I was listening to a John McCormick album today, and he sang Kathleen Mavourneen. When he got to the part about “It may be for years or it may be forever,” I got teary. Any pretty phrase can do that, these days. My 90 year old father will quote from Shakespeare, “To love that well which thou must leave ere long.” Tears. Or long ago songs from my youth, Bread singing “I would give everything I own.” Cat Stevens and Morning has Broken. A poem called Mr Flood’s Party about an elderly man has me in “floods” of tears. “There was not much that was ahead of him, And there was nothing in the town below— Where strangers would have shut the many doors, That many friends had opened long ago.”

Sometimes it doesn’t take words. Just looking at the stars on a clear, cold night, or watching the waves roll in. Or thinking of friends and relatives that were dear to me. An expressive melody in a Scott Joplin rag.

Things seem to make me feel more deeply now than when I was young. Wondered if some of you find yourself getting more sentimental with age. Not sure even if sentimental is the right word. Just that your emotions seem to lie closer to the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Perhaps it is not sentimentality, but more that you are allowing yourself to have feelings that perhaps you used to censor.

Maybe just treat it as a period of adjustment, feel it and don't worry about it.

I can completely identify with comments in regard to looking at the stars at night or the waves coming in. Now that I am old, I sometimes feel that I am seeing them as something new. A not unpleasant feeling.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 AM

703 posts, read 612,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Perhaps it is not sentimentality, but more that you are allowing yourself to have feelings that perhaps you used to censor.

Maybe just treat it as a period of adjustment, feel it and don't worry about it.

I can completely identify with comments in regard to looking at the stars at night or the waves coming in. Now that I am old, I sometimes feel that I am seeing them as something new. A not unpleasant feeling.
Yes, to both of the above posts

Old 03-22-2018, 07:06 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,059,025 times
I think I was more sentimental in my younger years.....when my parents were still alive....now just getting old and ornery.
For instance....Easter was very important, when the kids were young. I would take them to buy a lily to bring to their grandmothers, would enjoy the smiles that the flower would bring. Things are different now. Holidays are not what they used to be

Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
I get sentimental more because my kids are getting older. We have lived in the same house/town since before they were all born, so I am all the time running across things/places that remind me of events early in their lives. I get weepy eyed a lot. It could be a combination of me aging as well as them I guess.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
yes. I started working on my family tree and after finding so many pictures of my father's family - I get sad. We were not that close to them and I wish I had been more attentive.

I'm also sad when older siblings could care less about things like this.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
no

Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Absolutely,
Yesterday I was looking through old photos trying to select one for my son's graduation year book pic. bawling like a baby. lol

I don't know if it's more sentimental or just I have a better understanding of the things that are important to me and it has nothing to do with investments, assets or long term care insurance.

it could also be that I just lost my dog of 15 years a few weeks ago.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:01 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Absolutely,
Yesterday I was looking through old photos trying to select one for my son's graduation year book pic. bawling like a baby. lol

I don't know if it's more sentimental or just I have a better understanding of the things that are important to me and it has nothing to do with investments, assets or long term care insurance.

it could also be that I just lost my dog of 15 years a few weeks ago.
15 years....sounds like you gave him a wonderful life. Sorry for you loss

Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Not at all. When I was younger, I tended to waste all my time thinking of the past or the future.

Now I make a conscientious effort to live in the present and let the past go. What's over is over - whether good, bad, or indifferent times, I can't bring them back or change them. I choose to work on today, to make it the best it can be.
I of course miss the people who are gone from my life but all the more reason to fully appreciate the ones who are still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement