Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 PM

245 posts, read 304,299 times

Advertisements

Any other "odd bodkins" like me out there who long for candle light, fireplaces, leaf crunching walks, turned up collars, sweaters, sleeping in cool rooms under comforters?

I really can't abide summer, bright sunlight, long days, heat, summer clothes, noisy neighbors out yukking it up with games and cook outs, etc.

Am I the only one who feels like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
I have so had it with winter. Very, very much looking forward to what has been a very delayed arrival of Spring.
In the future we plan on taking an extended trips out of the northeast in the middle of next winter.

I do not like cold or snow or ice or the short days in winter. I don't mind the grandkids playing and making noise in the backyard during the summer months. I certainly like sun and warm days and being able to do things outdoors.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:51 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Probably not.

But my fond memories of Little League Baseball override any memories of fall. Sometimes the shrill call of neighborhood youngsters doing things I used to do takes me back......

Interestingly enough, when I get up early on a fall or winter day, it still FEELS like I ought to be hopping on by bicycle and peddling off into the darkness to deliver my papers.

Some things never leave us...

Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Any other "odd bodkins" like me out there who long for candle light, fireplaces, leaf crunching walks, turned up collars, sweaters, sleeping in cool rooms under comforters?

I really can't abide summer, bright sunlight, long days, heat, summer clothes, noisy neighbors out yukking it up with games and cook outs, etc.

Not looking forward to summer either. I like chilly days with lots of sunshine! We've been having lots of those here in south texas and I know it is not going to last.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:20 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I love fall, but I am not fond of winter. I am glad to be headed away from winter, well into our glorious spring. Sure, summer will be hot, but it is not winter.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
This will be my first summer in Arizona. It won't be as hot as Phoenix, but still hot. Right now the wind has been blowing all day.

I've heard the worst months are May & June. It should be interesting. I'll just have to remember how bad it was/is in Minnesota & see what the next few months bring. Even the summer in Minnesota was disappointing last year, more dark, cloudy days than sunshiney ones.

I've certainly enjoyed the winter here!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:

Yes
Each season has its charm, esp in CA or other states where summers are not humid and winters are not isolatingly cold

Old 04-19-2018, 08:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:

No.

I dislike summer months, the noise, the heat, the bugs, the long days, and glaring sunlight. Blue skies are boring to me. Give me fog, rain, snow, cool days, anything except bright sunlight.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:41 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

No.

I dislike summer months, the noise, the heat, the bugs, the long days, and glaring sunlight. Blue skies are boring to me. Give me fog, rain, snow, cool days, anything except bright sunlight.
ok - how can you be an "oldgardener" and hate the sun??

Old 04-19-2018, 09:34 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Our AZ winters are like heaven, the reason the winter population quadruples at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement