Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:24 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times

Advertisements

When screening states for retirement living, one factor, not the largest for sure, is the tax differences for one state vs another.

It would be useful to have a calculator that takes components of federal income tax returns and produces the relative tax burdens for states an individual would experience would be a good screening tool. I would also like to be able to compare the property tax burden in several locations across different states for a home at various costs.

Has anyone seen such a tool? I am not looking for a precise tax calculation but one that is say 90 to 95% comprehensive. I sounds one tool that claims to do this but ignores differences in how different types of retirement income can be treated when the key types are readily available from the fed tax return.

If none exists perhaps it would be good idea to develop and market one? Any takers or thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Like this, for starters:?
https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

Old 10-31-2017, 03:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
States and even counties are too broad to get a good idea of property taxes.

example: I have 2 homes across the street from each other. On is in a 8.2 tax levy, the other 14.7

I have homes less than 30 seconds part (different counties). Same cost basis, one has $17k property taxes, the other $1200 (Different assessors and tax levies).

In all cases:

1) I use a weighted spreadsheet and plug in the numbers.
2) I never make an offer on property until AFTER I spend a few hours with the assessor and the appraiser (for the county) and the planners.
3) OFTEN it is much better financially to RENT, and to invest your primary residence capital in a PERFORMING asset (real estate or otherwise)

Old 10-31-2017, 05:42 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
You will be happier if you pick a place to live based on your own priorities for well-being, not just low taxes. This applies to retirees and workers. Find a place that makes your heart sing.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
States and even counties are too broad to get a good idea of property taxes.

example: I have 2 homes across the street from each other. On is in a 8.2 tax levy, the other 14.7

I have homes less than 30 seconds part (different counties). Same cost basis, one has $17k property taxes, the other $1200 (Different assessors and tax levies).

In all cases:

1) I use a weighted spreadsheet and plug in the numbers.
2) I never make an offer on property until AFTER I spend a few hours with the assessor and the appraiser (for the county) and the planners.
3) OFTEN it is much better financially to RENT, and to invest your primary residence capital in a PERFORMING asset (real estate or otherwise)
I agree. The problem is the variation within the state. Our state income tax, for example, is a reasonable 6.5%, however we pay 10% due to additional taxes added to it by local authorities. We have no state income tax, which sounds great, but our property taxes are high, and we have one of the highest tax rates on gas.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:03 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree. The problem is the variation within the state. Our state income tax, for example, is a reasonable 6.5%, however we pay 10% due to additional taxes added to it by local authorities. We have no state income tax, which sounds great, but our property taxes are high, and we have one of the highest tax rates on gas.
Then you are so far east of Seattle that you are east of Washington state?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:51 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
There are just way too many variables. Websites I have looked at make sweeping generalizations, that end in error.

retirementliving.com for example does not show that military pensions are exempted in my state.

Also if you are on a pension, you will likely be living on a much lower income than when you were working.

We file Married-Joint, the Standard Deduction and Personal Exemption combined is more than our annual income. Which means that we can't pay income taxes anyway.

For a retiree to worry about income taxes may find that they simply do not apply.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,075,078 times
I think property taxes may be your bigger worry.

Texas has no state income tax but the property taxes just keep going up and up and up.
And when it reaches the cap of how much it can increase they just increase the value of your property to get more money.
Then you go and try to fight the assessment and hit a brick wall. There's an entire industry built up around protesting your property taxes in Texas and it's become almost a "must do" in some of the bigger cities.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:02 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I think property taxes may be your bigger worry.

Texas has no state income tax but the property taxes just keep going up and up and up.
And when it reaches the cap of how much it can increase they just increase the value of your property to get more money.
Then you go and try to fight the assessment and hit a brick wall. There's an entire industry built up around protesting your property taxes in Texas and it's become almost a "must do" in some of the bigger cities.
I agree.

We have seen homes where the property taxes were so high that they were more than my pension.

Whereas now we live in a 'paid-off' home and our property taxes are around $860/year.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,948,858 times
Kiplinger's has a pretty good overview of each state, and their website allows side by side comparison.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...rees/index.php

This would give a general idea of each State's treatment of SS, Pension and other Income. The specifics of the local Real Estate Taxes would require further research.

This would give you one data point to factor in, but don't let a couple of hundred bucks in overall taxes prevent you from retiring where you really want to spend the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement