Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times

Advertisements

I tend to sleep much better and sleep more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I tend to sleep much better and sleep more.
This is so true. Already, with the time change on top of shorter days anyway, it's been dark for hours already and it's only 8:30 and I am ready for bed. And my dog is bugging me to go to bed LOL. She started bugging me a while ago.

But, then I get up way before the crack of dawn. But, I kind of like that, too. I can have my entire morning ritual of coffee and writing in my journal, etc., and when the sun comes up I'm ready to take the dog for a walk. Feels like I get more out of my day. Early to bed, early to rise. Feels healthier. I can't make myself go to bed if the sun is still up.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:52 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I like that it's so much easier to control how comfortable I am in my apartment. And I love wearing flannel. And how good my electric heating mattress pad feels on my old bones.

In California. Where I don't have to deal with snow anymore.

When I did live in snow, though, I loved wood heat, and the sound of a wood fire crackling. And the break from having to do yard work. And how quiet it was when it was snowing.
UPS will be delivering ours tomorrow. Looking forward to that heated pad this winter!

Old 11-13-2017, 03:37 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Hmm, someone asked about my indoor plants, and gave me one of several reps.
They requested I DM them, but didn't tell me who they are?

To publicly answer, I have 7 2' plant grow lights, keep the heat at about 70f, and humidified to about 60% with a good ultrasonic humidifier. 60% can be hard to maintain when a lot of heat is required( electric), and higher can be hard to breathe for humans, lol.

I had a Meyer lemon, which produced, but died after it produced, my orange tree was just a short little twig a year ago, but now is 3 feet tall and should produce next year.

My banana plant is now 4 foot tall, also a little sprig last year. It is a Cavendish banana plant and will produce human hand sized edible bananas.it now has a "pup" growing too.

The ginger root grows long green 4-6 ' stalks from a basic corm, it's called, and when they turn brown you cut them back. It needs a big wide pot to grown in. Then you dig up root, wash, let dry and use as you would a gibger root you buy in the grocery store.

The coffee plant is a short plant now but will grow about 6' tall and grow berries that when peeled and dried will be coffee cherries. This is my second plant, the first one didn't do so well, but I didn't quite know how to grow a coffee indoors.

The orange, banana are in large unglazed clay pots, that helps regulate moisture instead of plastic plots where root for can set in. The coffee will go into a larger clay pot as well when I transplant before winter really sets in.

Any other questions, must let me know WHO TO DM.

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:59 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Fewer bugs. The cat never tries to get out. And I like doing some running.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
1) winter time. I hate summer saving time . In my country (in Europe), it's GMT+2 hours. If it's true that Franklin invented that system, he was bonkers.
2) it's snowbirding season. This winter, I'll fly to SA .

Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 AM

371 posts, read 537,467 times
I'll say it in pictures (Vermont)!
Attached Thumbnails
What do you REALLY like about WINTER?-woodstock-sleigh-ride925.jpg   What do you REALLY like about WINTER?-1153-winter-church-street-burlington-vt.jpg   What do you REALLY like about WINTER?-mab_20120130_vermont_peacham_winter_7351.jpg  

Old 11-13-2017, 08:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Two things helped me appreciate winter:

1. In my undergraduate senior year, I joined with 4 other students and rented a farmhouse out in the country 16 miles from campus. I had never lived in the country before. What I found is that without the distractions that filled my daily life, I became much more in touch with the world I live in. Once the leaves were gone, I saw trees and perennials not die off, but store their energy for the spring. One of my housemates and I used to bundle up and take walks in the nearby woods. One time we saw an odd flicker under a small crust of ice, between two rows of fallow farmland near the house. We looked at one another with curiosity, and when we opened up the ice cover to see what was trapped there, a sparrow bolted out. There is a beauty in the stillness of winter that you can only experience if you slow down and open yourself up to it.

2. 26 summers in Houston.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:41 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
I like it when daylight savings goes away and it starts getting dark around 5PM. I am a night owl and love the night. More hours of darkness in the evening help me to sleep better also. I suppose that has something to do with more melatonin being produced since my house is kept on low lighting in the evening. I start to feel sleepier earlier, get to bed earlier, and get more sleep overall.

I also love cold weather and snow (even rain). So even though it doesn't last long where I live, I thoroughly enjoy being outside in the cold for as long as it lasts. Since most others here stay inside more during cold spells, that means that it's quieter out.

I like that I don't need to care for the yard or pay someone else to do it either. Utility bills go down overall too since running the A/C in this hot climate is what really eats up the $$. It's easier to tolerate the house being a little chilly and keeping the heat down, than to be a little warm and save on the A/C. A/C gets cranked way down in the summer and I just cringe and pay the bill.

I love the stark stillness of winter when nature is in repose.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:14 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I'll say it in pictures (Vermont)!
+1

I'll say it in a 2 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAfPQPUaAw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement