Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:54 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,990,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post

I also like winter clothes best. Boots, sweaters, scarves, fleece.
I forgot to mention that I love winter clothing best too, knitted things are so soft and fluffy, I'm especially fond of flannel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 07:01 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,219,320 times
I like that I live in a place it doesn't really exist.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:32 PM

6,618 posts, read 7,109,002 times
Nothing about winter is fun. It’s too cold and wet. There’s too much snow and my bones ache. If I never shovel again I would be happy.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:45 PM

43 posts, read 48,983 times
Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,306,733 times
Winter clothes! I think I have more winter clothes to include pajamas than summer stuff. And our summer lasts forever!

I love snuggling in bed under warm blankets. I love when it is cold outside and the sun is shining. I love hot chocolate. No yard work is a bonus.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,556,840 times
The electric bill.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:59 PM

18,740 posts, read 33,455,962 times
As a night worker, I love that the days are great sleeping weather. If I'm in a good mood, great. If not, the weather sort of matches my mood. I once lived somewhere where there was relentless sun every day, regardless of changing temperatures, and it felt like there were no moods.

That said, I really like a sunny cold day. Think you should always need to wear a jacket.

No humidity or sticky everything (and I live in New England at present- but find the summers ever-more sticky, not hot but humid humid).

I love that, in retirement, if I don't want to go out because of snow or driving conditions, all I have to do is wait a day and then go. With work, I have to get on the highway and get to work no matter what. Retirement, I'll light a stove fire and watch the snow come down. Also hope to pick up cross-country skiing in Colorado. Not enough snow for many years in southern New England to bother.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,496,838 times
I like having to dress up warm and have extra blankets to keep warm. Somehow I find that comforting. I like hot chocolate and all the winter foods. I like watching snow falling silently. I always think it should make a sound with all that activity, like the rain, but it doesn't. I like bundling up and walking in it for a little while.

I like that the biting bugs die out. I like that I can always get warm if I'm cold. But in the summers which I don't care for much I'm uncomfortable and hot. I like it when the humidity turns to dryness. I like watching figure skating on TV or sometimes even in person.

During the long time I lived in the PNW, winters never seemed right to me after living in Chicago for the first part of my life and experiencing the winters there. Rain in winter just always seemed odd to me.

I just like winter. Although my favorite is fall.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times
I hate the darkness. I hate the dead trees, dead yards, mud. It's 4-5 months a year here in Tennessee. We get maybe one less month of crap weather than Michigan. I've been considering moving to Tampa for years and plan to be in central FL by the time I'm 35.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 PM

6,784 posts, read 5,510,915 times
Hmm many who posted talk about an inch or two or three shutting everything down...we need a nor'easter like last March that dumped 35" in less than 18 hours for Us. That only ground us to a halt for a day, the second day any " essential personnel " was allowed and day three all was open, except a few missed roads in the small city center. They took a week to get cars off thise street and cleared out.

They don't even bring the plows out until there's at least 3" of snow on the road. And we drive carefully, but normal.
Heck I don't even put on boots until it's at least a foot deep.

At a foot. It starts to get a little dicey, but good tires and careful driving will get you through, no 4 wheel or all wheel needed. Though front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive.

The ONLY real problem we have is the ice. When it gets to a certain low temp ice treatments are no longer effective.

And our winter's are mild compared to the upper plains states, i think.

Schools rarely close but a foot plus will do it, sometimes 8 inches if they have the snow days available.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement