Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:10 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times

Advertisements

We've always had dogs. They provide great companionship and entertainment. They also motivate us to go for walks.

Around 2005, to make a long story short, we ended up with 3 mini-dachshunds.

They are now slowing down and we have retired. I never thought about how they would make travel difficult after retirement. Since they live for about 14 years, we still have a few years to go. We have never thought about any plans other than to keep caring for them until their demise.

Dogs have a lifespan that is inversely proportional to their size, i.e. the small ones live longer:

How Long Do Dogs Live - Dog Breeds and Life Expectancy | petMD

But after that day, What next?

I anticipate my wife falling in love with a new puppy

Pros: Dogs give companionship, unconditional love, built-in burglar alarm, motivation to exercise, and frequent amusement.

Cons: If you want to travel, you have to hire somebody to come over every day to care for them. And you can expect unplanned, expensive vet bills. They also require daily maintenance; feeding, drinking, pooping, blocking off areas of the house, etc.

Furthermore, if you plan to move to a retirement community, they may not be allowed and they will certainly need to adapt to closer quarters. They would be likely to annoy neighbors with whom you share a common wall or fence. That sets a trap. Here, we're stuck in our way too big house because it includes a fully fenced yard. It's great for the dogs but a pain to maintain.

I think I'm in the camp of no more dogs. The challenge will be getting my lovely wife to agree.

What are your thoughts and experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Don't let a dog ruin your life.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 AM

253 posts, read 235,446 times
We are entering our 70s and our dog is 12 years old (a cocker). I love him dearly and don't see how I could do without a dog. But, because I don't think it fair to raise another dog after he is gone, I have decided he will be our last dog. We can't stand the thought of leaving a dog as an orphan when we don't have anyone that we know that would want to adopt.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Over the years, I've had both a dog and a cat and enjoyed both. But travel has been costly as I don't like to burden family members with watching my pets - and I've opted to use my local vet to house them and care for them in kennels or a pet sitter. I found it really unfair to the pets to do this. Finally opted to give the pets away and vowed never ever to again get a pet, no matter how much companionship they provide.

The vet bills got kind of high just for routine things but I didn't really mind that to tell the truth. I never had extreme issues to deal with (ie surgeries).

I do think that pets do a great service for single retirees, especially providing companionship as people get old....in my retirement community it seems like every other resident owns a dog or cat. The dogs are of the smaller breeds....really cute to see.

Our community has ample opportunities for volunteers to work at the rescue centers and guide dog training centers which can be fun if you enjoy pets but can't have one of your own.

https://www.guidedogs.org/

Old 11-13-2017, 04:55 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
We are entering our 70s and our dog is 12 years old (a cocker). I love him dearly and don't see how I could do without a dog. But, because I don't think it fair to raise another dog after he is gone, I have decided he will be our last dog. We can't stand the thought of leaving a dog as an orphan when we don't have anyone that we know that would want to adopt.
Good point. When I retire and get settled into my new home in another state, I'll adopt another dog. Right now, my dog has a terminal illness and won't be around to move with me in a few years.
That being said, buying a puppy for me is out of the question. I'll adopt an adult dog probably a senior dog when the time is right. The happiness and companionship a dog brings me far outweighs any cons that may occur.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:12 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Don't let a dog ruin your life.
lol dogs never ruin your life. 99.999% of the time they enhance it.

Op,
personally I cannot imagine my life without a dog. my dog Hobbes, he is 14 has diabetes and is going blind. He is still a lovable, goofball mutt. We know that he is nearing end of life which is sad but the joy he's brought my family is unimaginable.

Anyhoo, yep the cost can be insane. I kick out 140 bucks a month on insulin and needles alone for him. Now it's especially hard to find someone to care for him on vacation because the person has to know how to administer his meds.

We use Rover to find sitters for him and have had great success.

Dogs enhance one's life imo. studies have show also their great capacity for love, why do you think dogs are used in treating all types of issues, from epilepsy to PTSD.

When Hobbes goes to doggie heaven I'll probably take a break but I can't imagine going longer than 1 year without a dog.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
...in my retirement community it seems like every other resident owns a dog or cat. The dogs are of the smaller breeds....really cute to see.
I didn't know that. I would think that little dogs who tend to yap a lot would annoy the neighbors. So perhaps many of the dog lovers continue their habit during retirement.

But now that you mentioned it, I think about 75% of my neighbors have dogs. When we take ours on a walk, we hear them barking as we walk along the sidewalk.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:37 AM

2,505 posts, read 3,407,676 times
Having a dog (or two, for me) is definitely a wonderful thing. We walk nearly every morning and usually one shorter walk in the afternoon. They are incredibly smart, perceptive, sweet, lovable, loyal, and honest.

Enough research has shown that for people who love their pets, having a dog or cat has health benefits as well. If a person does not care to have pets because they are viewed as "burdens" then of course there won't be a health or attitude benefit from having one!

Old 11-13-2017, 05:40 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I didn't know that. I would think that little dogs who tend to yap a lot would annoy the neighbors. So perhaps many of the dog lovers continue their habit during retirement.

But now that you mentioned it, I think about 75% of my neighbors have dogs. When we take ours on a walk, we hear them barking as we walk along the sidewalk.
As you get older, small dogs are easier to handle and take care of. I can't pick up a Labrador or larger dog anymore in case he/she becomes sick, can't walk and needs to go to the vet. A 40 - 50 pound dog is about the most I can handle properly by myself. As I get older, the size of the dog will get smaller as it reflects what I can do to care for it.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 AM

784 posts, read 730,467 times
You can travel with dogs, you just need to travel differently. Go RVing, and take your pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement