Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times

Advertisements

I know there are some diehards who will drive until the keys have to be pried out of their cold hands, but I am curious when people stop going to relatives on holidays if it's more than 1/2 hour away, say, or if they would be returning home at night.

I have just stared to think about this. It just seems really stressful to me to drive on the freeway at night with really competitive drivers.

How is it for you?

I am not joining my family for Thanksgiving this year and a big reason is the stress around driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 04:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
I stopped driving after dark (except for very short, local trips) a couple of years ago, as a result of residual glare from LASIK combined with accumulating cataracts.

If I wanted to visit the relatives, I'd find a near-to-them motel room to stay the night, and drive back during the next day.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Have you asked anyone to come pick you up? If you have any teens in the family, they would probably be happy for some extra driving practice.

I generally don't drive at night unless it's a special occasion. Then I am very very careful. Not as stressful if you are not doing it all the time.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I know there are some diehards who will drive until the keys have to be pried out of their cold hands, but I am curious when people stop going to relatives on holidays if it's more than 1/2 hour away, say, or if they would be returning home at night.

I have just stared to think about this. It just seems really stressful to me to drive on the freeway at night with really competitive drivers.

How is it for you?

I am not joining my family for Thanksgiving this year and a big reason is the stress around driving.
I'm only 58 and I hate driving the almost 100 miles each way to be with relatives on these holidays. Seriously, I'd rather stay home and have a nice dinner by myself. I don't only because my mother is 86 and I never know if this will be the last holiday I spend with her. Otherwise, you couldn't pay me enough to spend almost 4 hours on the road on Thanksgiving or Christmas. A half hour drive would be a breeze.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:51 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Yeah - my relative lives an hour away and some of the roads are treacherous.

I should have asked people to include their ages with their responses.

I am in my late sixties.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
I sold my auto recently and no more driving period. But I had been off the freeways for some yrs or long distances...knee was getting worse and now I don't drive.

Friends picking me up for a turkey restaurant treat.

It's been years since I had family stuff as they were 3000 miles away and I quit flying too...stress, who needs it for some turkey.

Daughter and kids are here but they have their plans.

I am comfortable with my life at 79 and Cosamin DS may be saving me from knee replacement HOPE HOPE...

Old 11-20-2017, 05:57 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
I'm only 54, and I hate driving long distances and driving on the interstate, period. I flat-out won't drive on the interstate at night. Secondary roads at night are fine, but only if the drive is an hour or less. Anything longer, and I'm planning an overnight trip so I can do the driving during the daylight hours.

I'd rather be overcautious than risk an accident!

Old 11-20-2017, 06:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
Doesn't bother me at all. I only worry about getting plowed into by a drunk driver or hitting a deer here. Other than that, no biggie. At 66 I still have 20/20 vision and great night vision.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:35 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
I'm 67 and I hate driving, luckily my 70 yo husband loves it. Our grandkids are a 4 hour round trip. If my husband was to pass or be incapacitated, that would be the end of it.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
I'm 71. I love driving. I have a Mustang Convertible and a Viper.

I have no problem driving at night, though I don't do so very often because I don't have much of a night time social life.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive cross country if the opportunity arose but probably not marathon driving like I used to when I was younger. Day trips around my state would be fine. I can get just about anywhere important in 3 hours or less.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement