Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:27 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How many "blindly" relocated; that is, without spending an extended period of time in the new location first or at least visiting?
What do you consider as an extended period of time in the new location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
How many "blindly" relocated; that is, without spending an extended period of time in the new location first or at least visiting?

Not me.

We visited the area in 2012 on vacation with NO plans to retire anytime soon.

We spent the months of January, February, June, August, and October 2014 in the new place so as to determine that summer was manageable. In general, we enjoyed the summer months more as the crowds clear out and we have better access to the facilities.

We moved in December 2014.

I had no intention of owning two homes for an extended period of time. I had no desire to "snowbird" as it is too hard to maintain two sets of doctors, two sets of neighbors, and too many complications. It was either move to Arizona or stay in Chicagoland until we found a place we wanted to retire to.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
That might need to be a separate thread; I might start one. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Me I guess. I had been in the general vicinity twice for vacations and loved it, but I spent moths doing some heavy duty research before making the leap.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
Interested in seeing this thread as well. I don't care to travel all over the country researching, nor do I have the funds to do so.....so a lot of online research, street view, etc. Still haven't settled on a location and time is coming up soon to sell and get out of Dodge! I think I'm just too danged picky! Hope to find out more how others have found a suitable location without visiting in person...if it can be done!

Old 01-08-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Interested in seeing this thread as well. I don't care to travel all over the country researching, nor do I have the funds to do so.....so a lot of online research, street view, etc. Still haven't settled on a location and time is coming up soon to sell and get out of Dodge! I think I'm just too danged picky! Hope to find out more how others have found a suitable location without visiting in person...if it can be done!
Try making the realtors understand that you can't just pick up and leave your job and hop on a plane and take a vacation every time you have a question about a property for sale in another state!

Old 01-08-2018, 12:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter how much you research a place on line, you'll never get the feel for it without visiting. And you should visit a number of places so you can also make comparisons. If you're that short of funds, how will you pay for all the costs associated with a move?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:30 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
I would like to see this thread also. We have been doing a lot of on line research to. NC, SC, FL. One thing we do know we must be fairly close to a beach, and leaning towards an over 55 community. But which one, where??????

Old 01-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It doesn't matter how much you research a place on line, you'll never get the feel for it without visiting. And you should visit a number of places so you can also make comparisons. If you're that short of funds, how will you pay for all the costs associated with a move?
Money isn't the issue with me; responsibilities at home are. Not everyone is footloose and fancy-free and can globetrot at will!

Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I think that's just the point. If you have a limited amount of funds but are not poor, do you want to spend thousands of $ flying around the country, paying for hotels and rental cars and restaurants or spend it on moving costs?
Of course you need to visit a couple of areas before making a decision. It doesn't mean you want to fly to 6 different destinations and spend a week at each one. I'd want to narrow it down quite a bit before visiting and spending that money on numerous visits to numerous places. That's where online research and google maps come into play nicely. Of course if money is not an issue, you can spend a few weeks at several locations around the country no problem.

Last edited by marino760; 01-08-2018 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement