Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
From the link you posted the number is actually 50 Billion. It's easy to use the percentage to make the actual number look small. In ten years, at the same rate, you are looking at 500 Billion, or half a Trillion. It does add up over time.
No, it doesn't add up over time. No matter how you look at it, it still amounts to less than 1% of the money spent. The bottom line is that eliminating foreign aid would have very minimal impact on our budget deficit or national debt, which is the point I was making to galaxihi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Maybe if we stopped paying it out we might not rid ourselves of as much debt as we would like, but I know I could do a lot of good with 50 Billion for a lot of our citizens. I can do ten times as much in ten years.
So you'd eliminate providing military aid to our allies, humanitarian aid to prevent children and others from starving, and other foreign aid dollars for preventing or treating diseases, to do what exactly? And keep in mind that whatever pet project you want this money to go to, you'd be eliminating all foreign aid instead of taking that fraction of a penny from some other part of the budget, say our bloated military budget for example. I think that we could take that penny from it in order for you to "do a lot of good for a lot of our citizens." Don't you? I doubt that they'd even miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Medicaid is going to get crushed. Don't kid yourself. Poor people don't vote. The 30% of Medicaid that is today spent on elderly long term care is unlikely to be there. You don't want to land in a nursing home if you can't afford private pay.

Medicare is going to be "reformed". It's not sustainable as-is. Hopefully, the reforms will focus on "last 90 days of life" spending which is today's black hole. I'm doubtful. I'm expecting two tier coverage. The free/cheap stuff won't cover much. I have $10K per person penciled in to get the kind of coverage I expect and I'm wondering if I've under-estimated it.

Social Security is getting Chained CPI for COLA adjustments. We get to substitute cardboard box for house and dog kibble for food. We're all going to get to deal with that once inflation kicks back in.

Today's news climate with Trump tweets, Russia interfering with US elections, sex scandals, and the high drama in Congress is making most of this invisible. It's standard distraction fare used by magicians.
Historically, Chained CPI lags CPI-W by .03%. I guess if one lives long enough, we're talking real money, but it's the lesser of other reform evils.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! You think that cutting tax revenues so low by eliminating the estate tax, and greatly reducing any taxes paid by the wealthy, will NOT lead to the reduction of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Section 8, Food Stamps/SNAP, WIC, etc? This is the Republican way of cutting social welfare programs. First cut the revenue (after all, rich people are too important and valuable to have to pay taxes), then, when there's no money for all the social welfare programs, cut them.

So yes, YOUR social security and Medicare ARE in danger of being cut in the near future.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Where did you get the idea that absentee ballots are only counted if the race is close or contested?
CBS morning news. It was brought up and investigated in case the Clinton/Trump rave was close.

Also our local CBS news investigated locally and found this too.

You think that's fake news like Trump claims all news is?

Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
If Donald Trump resigns or is forced to resign or impeachment proceedings are initiated against him and he resigns, and VP Mike Pence is found to have lied to the FBI or the public or other unlawful acts and resigns, that leaves us with Congressman Paul Ryan as President. And Paul Ryan has long held the goal of eliminating 'social programs'.

Just a thought.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-07-2017 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 04:27 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
CBS morning news. It was brought up and investigated in case the Clinton/Trump rave was close.

Are absentee ballots counted? - Vote.org

Old 12-07-2017, 05:15 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
They already are talking about how this tax bill and high addition to deficit will lead to the GOP long-term goal of cutbacks on SS and Medicare.
Republicans Will Cut Social Security and Medicare After Tax Plan Passes, Says Marco Rubio
Only if those Republicans are still in office. If they are then, they surely won't be afterwards. They'll be burnt out and hung in effigy.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Where did you get the idea that absentee ballots are only counted if the race is close or contested?
Fox News maybe??

Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
My mother was a poll worker for years until she went to nursing home--and my sister in law was one (in a different county) until a couple of elections ago when precinct workers became very political --something that should have resulted in THEIR being fired from their jobs vs her leaving because she felt threatened--because precinct election workers ARE paid by the county election process...

Absentee ballots are ALWAYS counted if election officials are doing their jobs properly and not interfering with the election process...

Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

I don't believe you heard that on CBS news--
If it was posted on a national news program then it would have been cited as evidence of voter fraud and there would have been much bigger story about it...
What is you LOCAL CBS station--
I would love to send them an email for clarification---
It was only a year ago so I am sure the story would still be on file...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement