Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 04:07 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on Medicare know anything about MedFlight coverage if you need to be airlifted to a higher level of care (like in a rural area). I have already posted on the insurance forum but thought someone here might know also. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 07:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,416,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Does anyone on Medicare know anything about MedFlight coverage if you need to be airlifted to a higher level of care (like in a rural area). I have already posted on the insurance forum but thought someone here might know also. Thanks in advance.
Are the doctors saying that the patient must be moved, or is the family requesting this? If the doctors are saying it is necessary, you have a chance. Has anyone tried calling Medicare to ask? Usually the air ambulance companies are very familiar with coverage criteria.

In general, insurance (including Medicare) will not pay for a MED-flight if "similar" care can be obtained locally. We had to pay for my father's air ambulance out of pocket. We tried to appeal to his insurance company, but they denied it.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
I would suggest talking with someone with EMS once you move to Ridgway. Ruth Stewart lives near you so talk to her or stop by the fire station. I've only known CareFlight to be called a few times, mostly for serious traffic accident victims or people that mountain rescue has to get.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I would suggest talking with someone with EMS once you move to Ridgway. Ruth Stewart lives near you so talk to her or stop by the fire station. I've only known CareFlight to be called a few times, mostly for serious traffic accident victims or people that mountain rescue has to get.
Thank you. I had no idea how it worked, but know that it is only in case of major emergency where no equivalent care can be had locally.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
If you are serviced by a single medivac provider you can usually buy a lifetime membership, (~$1000) BUT... the attending EMS makes the call on your type of required transport, based on your condition. They can't call / tie-up medivac resources if you can medically be transported via camel. I know of instances where medicaid recipients were medivaced, but not sure the level of reimbursement .

Old 12-24-2017, 01:55 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you are serviced by a single medivac provider you can usually buy a lifetime membership, (~$1000) BUT... the attending EMS makes the call on your type of required transport, based on your condition. They can't call / tie-up medivac resources if you can medically be transported via camel. I know of instances where medicaid recipients were medivaced, but not sure the level of reimbursement .
Our mediflight service is $50 a year. That’s for both of us. It’s the call of the medical provider. Mrs5150 was transported from the emergency room to a higher level hospital 50 miles away via helicopter when she had her heart issue a few years ago.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Thx 5150, I had forgot about the annual rates (I only did the LT for entire family, since kids were in same service region but not at home)

Our annual is $65 and covers 4 states.

I see BDL's proposed area may be covered by 6 state region Classic medical transport (out of UT) $60/ yr individual... But... they require you to carry medical insurance (that leaves me out till I'm age 65)
http://www.classicairmedical.com/membership-page-2/

Colorado does appear to have 3 providers, but I don't know their overlap.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,224,477 times
From the Medicare.gov website - https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/am...-services.html Note it says, "may pay."

Medicare may pay for emergency ambulance transportation in an airplane or helicopter if your health condition requires immediate and rapid ambulance transportation that ground transportation can’t provide, and one of these applies:
  • Your pickup location can't be easily reached by ground transportation.
  • Long distances or other obstacles, like heavy traffic, could stop you from getting care quickly if you traveled by ground ambulance.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:38 PM

436 posts, read 302,830 times
We have two medflights in our area. About $10-$12 per mo to belong to both medflights.

I, too, would like to know even though we are not Medicare age yet

Old 12-24-2017, 04:46 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thank you. I had no idea how it worked, but know that it is only in case of major emergency where no equivalent care can be had locally.
I don't remember the requirements for medical but I do recall that entrapment expected to be more than 30 minutes would bring Hershey Med Flight on scene. All the patients I loaded were trauma cases.
As far as payment, I have no information on that. You should certainly sign up as a member of your local ambulance, volunteer or paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement