Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 04:57 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,686,515 times

Advertisements

I know a couple of single people in their mid-40’s who have accumulated no assets and their retirement plan is to wait until their parents die and leaves them their assets/inheritance.

Have you ever heard of this or seen this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 05:17 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,426,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I know a couple of single people in their mid-40’s who have accumulated no assets and their retirement plan is to wait until their parents die and leaves them their assets/inheritance.

Very bad idea - they could live into their 90's and use (or lose it) all for healthcare. They may decide to give it all to charity or to other people! THEN where would you be?

NEVER count on an inheritance - especially when it leaves you no time to recover on your own - into your 50's it is far to late to start saving and you could hit retirement age before they even pass on, anyway. What do you do then to bridge the gap?

Old 09-26-2018, 05:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,805,953 times
That seems a little cold hearted; at some point they could start wishing them dead. Medical problems can bankrupt anyone. One spouse outliving the other, remarrying and passing on before the new spouse can alter the dynamics of inheritance completely, especially if the new spouse is younger and lives a long time, possibly also remarrying. Bad idea for a myriad of reasons.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:43 AM

34,137 posts, read 83,145,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I know a couple of single people in their mid-40’s who have accumulated no assets ...
Have they accumulated the skills needed to accumulate assets?

Quote:
their retirement plan is to wait until their parents die...
Are their parents unaware of the situation?

Old 09-26-2018, 05:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,073 times
Not surprised at all. How they were brought up to think about this type of thing... there you have it.

Millions of people, millions of varying views on money.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 AM

296 posts, read 267,187 times
Yes, one of my female friends and her sister assumed they were getting the inheritance- until their mom died and their dad (at age 85) remarried and has re- written the will to include his new wife, her kids and grandkids. So instead of getting what wa to be about 2m each, they may get 250k, if that.

They are in their 50's with not much time to make up for their poor "strategy" for retirement.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:11 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,460,958 times
My inlaws were pretty wealthy - but never acted as if they were.

When my spouse and I were in our mid-40's I stressed to him that we needed to save as if NONE of their money was coming our way - because life is what happens when you make plans. They could need it - or give it away or whatever.

I know his sister felt differently. ... she being a Grifter of the First Class.

Fast forward - I am de-facto retired (broke my ankle 3 weeks before my retirement date - hah!) and in the last year - a surprise inheritance from MY side of the family allowed us to pay off our house.

Then my MIL died.

We have inherited much of what we were told we would get - save for a couple of "missing" accounts that we believe SIL stole....

And - we have our own nest-egg (almost 1M)...plus pension plus Social Security.

Honestly - you throw ALL your eggs into the basket rather than sit back and feel like they are entitled to you.

We suspect SIL will STILL run out of money..... despite this largesse. She simply does not know money management.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,686,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Have they accumulated the skills needed to accumulate assets?
Yes but they don’t want to. They’d rather spend rather than save.

Quote:
Are their parents unaware of the situation?
I mentioned it to one of their mothers and she scoffed at it (to me) but did nothing. I’ve been the one to encourage them to save and plan but they don’t listen.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,702,387 times
Heard of it, many many times. Sadly a few acquaintances I know have this very plan.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:28 AM

11,879 posts, read 5,858,955 times
Let's keep politics in the political forum please. My MIL was considered well off when my FIL past away at 63. She was very conservative with her money. She lived until she was 94 - and due to being in a nursing home - the money was all used up - which was what it was intended for. No one should ever count on an inheritance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement