Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:32 PM

558 posts, read 338,306 times

Advertisements

I’ll go first. Save money. Went out for NYE. SO bought a drink for $7. Did not even take one sip. I was the driver, so I didn’t touch it. Little things like that add up. Yes, yes, I know but I will be tracking every penny. I failed the last 40 times, but this time I am serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Let's see.

1) Continued improvement of finances. Last year was my first good year, but I had a legal issue that cost me thousands of dollars and still wasted money in other places. Under those circumstances, I did a lot better than I would have expected.

2) Generally be nicer to people. I get to know a lot of people, and ultimately, I can be an ass to a lot of folks. I rub people the wrong way. I'm extremely opinionated and I need to be more neutral.

3) Reduce drinking to weekends only. I'll often go to bed at a reasonable hour on Friday/Saturday nights to get up for weekend activities, but I tend to drink during the work week and go to bed late.

4) Lose weight. This year was the first year I ended at basically the same weight I started at, though I did gain a lot during the year. I need to lose 40-50 lbs.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
None.

I’ll do what I need to do regardless of the date.

New Years resolutions are guaranteed to fail. Anyone care to report different?

Old 01-01-2018, 08:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Several years ago I quit making New Years Resolutions and instead began choosing one quote to try to incorporate into my life. More a mindset than anything else.

Some stuck more than others but those that stuck, really have stuck. The one that made the biggest difference in my life is this:

"Seek first to understand."

And this is an ancient one but wow does it make a difference: "Treat others like you want to be treated."

Last year was "When people show you who they are, believe them."

This year my quote is "If you have to choose between being right and being kind, kind is right every time."

One year, I chose "It was on fire when I laid down on it." And that was appropriate too for that year!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Read more, drink less beer, spend less time watching, fretting over news events and things out of my control: Trump. Keep fit. Keep traveling the country. Listen more.

My fitness and weight loss resolution from last yr were complete successes.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Break the dadgum sugar habit. It starts with not buying foods with added sugar. Since I live alone, it should be easy to control what foods come into my home. So when I get to the BOGO Entenmann's display at Publix, I should just look the other way, right? Right?

Old 01-01-2018, 08:25 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
I weigh 220lbs. 5'-9" male. I want to permanently lose 20lbs MINIMUM this year. It's not so easy at age 59 anymore, as I have spinal issues (stenosis, cervical and lumbar) and COPD (chronic bronchitis form of it) with asthma. 40lbs loss would be better. I can't run, but I can walk fairly well.

Still, that's less than 1/2lb a week, so I'm hoping I can do it. I'm overly fond of drinking Coca-Cola though, as IMO it actually works BETTER than the newer albuterol asthma inhalers when breathing gets tough.

Put me on notice, and make me stick with it!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:44 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Just one - MOVE.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
My resolution this year is the same as it was last year: every night, to say, out loud, three things that happened that day for which I am grateful.

The things might have been as simple as having a stress-free grocery shopping trip or hearing from my adult kids or getting my monthly pension check or even getting a good HVAC checkup. Those may sound like unimportant accomplishments but, when thanked for out loud, they became blessings to be appreciated.

I found that doing this every night last year made me feel much more appreciative of every aspect of my life. Yes, some days it was very hard to come up with three things for which to be grateful -- but those were the days when I needed to do so the most.

And I found that it was very important to express my appreciation for the three things OUT LOUD, as that tended to make me focus more on the positive aspects of my life.

Last edited by TFW46; 01-01-2018 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Those pesky typos

Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
I just crossed off "2017" from last years list & updated the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement