Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
...... using Ivory soap to wash what remains of your hair will speed the balding process.......
There are lots of myths, snake oil salesmen and self appointed experts, but NO evidence that soap of any kind has any effect on baldness. Washing hair or not washing hair is irrelevant.

And of course soap removes oils from your hair and skin. That is what it is designed to do. Harsh soaps are those which contain chemicals other than soap. In the old days that was lye that was in excess.

Instead of washing, you can call it stripping if you want. Those "natural" oils and associated dirt, bacteria, and dead skin are part of what we remove with washing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There are lots of myths, snake oil salesmen and self appointed experts, but NO evidence that soap of any kind has any effect on baldness. Washing hair or not washing hair is irrelevant.

And of course soap removes oils from your hair and skin. That is what it is designed to do. Harsh soaps are those which contain chemicals other than soap. In the old days that was lye that was in excess.

Instead of washing, you can call it stripping if you want. Those "natural" oils and associated dirt, bacteria, and dead skin are part of what we remove with washing.

Our scalp pH is 5.5 and hair shaft is around 3.67 which means it is more acidic than alkaline. Our scalp pH being in the acidic range provides a protective mantle to prevent the overgrowth of bacteria and fungus. When we disrupt that acidic mantle with high alkaline products for cleaning, this can cause irritation to the scalp skin which promotes overgrowth of bacteria and fungus which can cause infection that damages the hair follicle and can result in hair loss.

Additionally, alkaline pH may increase the negative electrical charge of the hair fiber surface and, therefore, increase friction between the fibers. This may lead to cuticle damage and fiber breakage. It is a reality and not a myth that lower pH of shampoos may cause less frizzing for generating less negative static electricity on the fiber surface.

The pH of Ivory soap is 9-10, and although it may not be a chemical laden which can also damage scalp skin and that damage can lead to hair loss, just the high alkalinity of Ivory soap does little to promote skin and scalp health because of it's high pH.

If your scalp can recover it's acid mantle on it's own after cleaning with high pH Ivory soap good for you. But many others are not so fortunate and are plagued with scalp conditions as a result of using scalp damaging products and many of those condition can lead to hair loss.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Our scalp pH is 5.5 and hair shaft is around 3.67 which means it is more acidic than alkaline. Our scalp pH being in the acidic range provides a protective mantle to prevent the overgrowth of bacteria and fungus. When we disrupt that acidic mantle with high alkaline products for cleaning, this can cause irritation to the scalp skin which promotes overgrowth of bacteria and fungus which can cause infection that damages the hair follicle and can result in hair loss.

Additionally, alkaline pH may increase the negative electrical charge of the hair fiber surface and, therefore, increase friction between the fibers. This may lead to cuticle damage and fiber breakage. It is a reality and not a myth that lower pH of shampoos may cause less frizzing for generating less negative static electricity on the fiber surface.

The pH of Ivory soap is 9-10, and although it may not be a chemical laden which can also damage scalp skin and that damage can lead to hair loss, just the high alkalinity of Ivory soap does little to promote skin and scalp health because of it's high pH.

If your scalp can recover it's acid mantle on it's own after cleaning with high pH Ivory soap good for you. But many others are not so fortunate and are plagued with scalp conditions as a result of using scalp damaging products and many of those condition can lead to hair loss.
Even one scientific study would help back up your claims?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I was reading my parents WW-2 letters that we saved now for 75 years and my dad kept dropping hints that he wanted my mom to send him some Vitalis. He had a good thick crop of hair but it was turning gray at about 28 years of age (for good reason, he was a paratrooper at Bastogne). She didn't send any so the hints got stronger. She sent a bottle of Coca-Cola. Finally he flat out told her to please send him a bottle of Vitalis. She never did. I suspect that it was too hard to get during the war but she never mentioned it. He had silver white hair when he came home that was very pretty. I inherited his hair but it is a duller gray. My daughter, in her early 30s, has it now and it is mostly silver gray and she loves it.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was reading my parents WW-2 letters that we saved now for 75 years and my dad kept dropping hints that he wanted my mom to send him some Vitalis. He had a good thick crop of hair but it was turning gray at about 28 years of age (for good reason, he was a paratrooper at Bastogne). She didn't send any so the hints got stronger. She sent a bottle of Coca-Cola. Finally he flat out told her to please send him a bottle of Vitalis. She never did. I suspect that it was too hard to get during the war but she never mentioned it. He had silver white hair when he came home that was very pretty. I inherited his hair but it is a duller gray. My daughter, in her early 30s, has it now and it is mostly silver gray and she loves it.
Making a wig from your father's hair is really a neat idea. Is it still holding up well?

Old 01-13-2018, 02:19 PM

136 posts, read 136,092 times
Back the day (early 60's) I had a "duck tail" to maintain. Used Brylcreem I think, but I'm not really sure. Enlisted in '65 and the Army shaved my head. I liked the look and kept it. Don't think it's gotten longer than inch since then. More than 50 years later the only thing I ever put on it is whatever soap I use in the shower.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Quote:
I think I would rather be bald than spend my life with Vaseline in my hair. I cannot begin to imagine what chair backs, car headrests, and pillows must have looked like.
..made me think of this scene from 'Fraiser'

Myself, no hair tonic. Just good shampoo.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think I would rather be bald than spend my life with Vaseline in my hair. I cannot begin to imagine what chair backs, car headrests, and pillows must have looked like.
Apart from automotive headrests, this is not a new problem. It began two centuries ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimacassar

Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Though I like and wore long hair most of my life as I age it thidned and became to much trouble to deal with. I go with a #1 buzz cut so I do not have to mess around with it.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Though I like and wore long hair most of my life as I age it thidned and became to much trouble to deal with. I go with a #1 buzz cut so I do not have to mess around with it.
That doesn''t mean that you can't enjoy hair tonic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement