Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:30 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Yea Dave, the same people that could fire me the next week because they don't like the way I part my hair.
You must own a business, LOL
Nah, not a business owner. I just know the difference between right and wrong and what you did was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 PM

795 posts, read 1,009,209 times
Thanks everyone for your posts.
I can see where this is going, so I won't be making anymore comments here.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Before I retired I worked in a major metropolitan area. My work was very specialized and I worked with certain specific software that pertained to that work. The work was very grueling and tedious. But rewarding by the good pay and satisfaction with the end results. But after about 12 years of it I was fried.
I stopped that work and retired - moved away to a smaller city.
So I see this add on a local job board for a company looking for someone with knowledge and experience with that software I previously worked with. I'm sure I was the only one within 200 miles that had experience with it. Fast forward I interviewed, they made me a good offer the same day. I accepted.
Went in the first day. Fired up the computer and there is the program. I open it up and start thinking what the hell am I doing here. I finished out the day. Called the owner the next morning and told him I would not be a fit for the position etc..
What a big mistake just taking the job because I was a expert with that software. Did not think it through.

Anyone else ever done this in retirement? I feel like a ass.
No, but I’m bored enough to think about it!

Old 01-16-2018, 06:41 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quitting on day 1 sounds like the best thing for you and also for your employer. Trying to tough it out and then quit after weeks or months would have been worse for everyone.

This reminds me of a recent thread about what it would take to return to work after retiring. I did not post a response, but I have thought about it. I figure a firm 6 or 12 month commitment. And a salary of about $300K. That way I could net enough for a major luxury world tour. I would want to spend a couple of months in Europe. My wife would want to include a few weeks in China and I would want to add on a month in Australia and another month in NZ.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
It's really a shame when people pout and pick up their marbles and go home.

All threads and experiences are learning opportunities for someone. We all learn from each other -- IF we're willing.
And of course, unfortunately, some are not.

I think the OP has brought to light an an important issue for some people: going back to work either for the wrong reasons, reasons that the person him- or herself isn't sure about, or just perhaps picking the wrong job.

But sometimes we just don't know those things before hand. Sometimes all we can do is make the best decision with the information we have at the time.
And, if we've done our best due diligence, there's nothing wrong with things not working out. It happens.

A separate issue all together is how the person feels about the ramifications of the situation.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
At least tell us your intention for getting the job in the first place. Were you bored at home? Was it hubris because you knew the program? You've worked before. You obviously know what it's like.

By starting this thread, did you expect everyone to pat you on the back? Personally, I don't get the appeal of returning to work after retirement unless one really needs the money.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Deja vu, like one day of a job.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Deja vu, like one day of a job.
Good point.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 AM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
Quote:
I hear you. You posted your honest experience, and then some respondents indicated you were wrong and/or its your fault. It happens to the OP on every practically Retirement thread.

I felt so burnt out after leaving my job, I have not looked for another one. I completely lost interest in my career and work. I would have felt exactly as you did on Day 1.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:43 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
I’m not licensed in the state I moved to, and I’m not interested in doing what I did for 40 years. Plus when you are old, people think you are also stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement