Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:46 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The OP said spouse. Why do assume, wife?
Since his Profile mentions ‘male’ and ‘straight’, it seems like a fair assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:52 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
We chose 50% survivor benefit, we are the same age, so it did not reduce our monthly by much.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
My retirement includes a 50% survivor continuance with no reduction so I chose no additional deduction. There is significant longevity in the women in my family so my husband will have to make the 50% plus his SS work if I die before him. We do have a term life policy as well through my union, it isn't much 150K on me and half on him (+100K AD&D) but it will cushion the blow if one of us dies before 70.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:24 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Hey all. I'm still a few years away from this decision. I was wondering what choices some of you have made, or what advice you care to share on the matter.

So, when my pension kicks in I can choose to take the full pension amount. When I die, the pension goes with me. A lot of my co workers take the full amount and purchase a whole life policy. My age of leaving this job is going to be between 53-56 years old.
My other options include taking a significantly reduced pension ($7000) for my spouse to get the same amount upon my death.
I can also choose for my spouse to receive 50% of my pension for a slightly reduced amount.
We have other monies socked away in 457's and Roth IRA's .
Thanks
We faced a similar issue with a $10K difference between a single pension recipient and a joint pension and chose to buy a sizable term life policy for far less than $10K difference (plus the pension has built-in COLA's).

At your age, a concern might be a limited term (20-year?) life policy that expired before your expected demise. Another is inflation-eroding the future value/buying power of the policy- particularly if your spouse significantly out-lived you (but, that could also be the case with a pension that had no COLA's). Other factors may be your overall life-expectancies and even the long-term likelihood that the insurance company will still be there to make the payout.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:51 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The OP said spouse. Why do assume, wife?

REALY, C'mon!?

I would choose spousal benefits! A whole life policy at your age would be quite pricey for one and a term wouldn't last long enough.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:00 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
My Dw will keep the healthcare package after I die.

Her choice was whether to put a portion of my pension into a survivor benefit package, that determines how much pension she could get from how much of my pension she puts into it. [the more of my pension she puts into her survivor benefit package, nets her more in her pension]. She opt'ed for zero.

She expects to die before I do.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:57 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No doubt about it, the OP is going to die; whether before or after the spouse is a different matter.
Poor Dave. Just can't catch a break.

I'm still waiting for the OP to answer the all-important headwear question.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:51 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Poor Dave. Just can't catch a break.

I'm still waiting for the OP to answer the all-important headwear question.

Headwear??

Old 03-17-2018, 05:17 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We chose 100% survivor pension. When one of us passes the only reduction in income would be my social security as it is the lower amount. That way neither of us will have a reduction in lifestyle. We have pension, social security, and investment accounts.
I did the same.

100% of all my retirement income decisions have been made under the assumption that I will die first so I would leave my wife in the best possible financial shape.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I did the same.

100% of all my retirement income decisions have been made under the assumption that I will die first so I would leave my wife in the best possible financial shape.

Me too.

Plus if I die first my wife loses health care. In addition I can live on less money than my wife for many reasons.

All told I plan to leave her 100% of the pension. It will be a 12% reduction. To make that up plus cover for the loss of our COLA I plan to stay an additional 2 years.

That increases my base pension plus my social security and reduces the draw down time of our other investments.

It helps that I love my job and have an easy commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement