Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I wonder if they are that way because of fear?

Afraid if they stop going something terrible will happen

I have a sibling and know others like this. Sibling always cleaning either her place or daughters place. Makes me anxious just listening to her talking about it.

Acquaintances with illnesses to include recovering from surgery still babysitting or doing other chores for their kids.

How do they do it! I practically have to force myself to go to the store!

I bet you guys were always that way, amirite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
To me that is normal exercise thing. The fear I am talking about is the frenzy that these people get into and just have to be doing things like mowing grass every day, washing their windows every week.

Taking care of grandkids even though they should be taken care of themselves. They don't think they might have a diabetic episode and pass out at the wheel while they are hauling the kids around. That type of thing.

They should be doing what you are doing. Taking care of themselves too.
Just because you aren't the type to be active doesn't mean active people are the weird ones.

Calling mowing grass and washing windows a "frenzy" is weird to me.

Perhaps it has something to do with your history of taking thyroid meds, antidepressants and other stuff you've posted about.

I qualify as "senior" and have a very active dog walking and pet sitting business and work 24/7 365. I LIKE working and making MONEY.

My grandmother died in her 90s a couple of decades ago...and had a different AM routine every day of the week her entire life. Monday laundry, Tuesday ironing. Wednesday house cleaning, Thursday food shopping, Saturday lawn, etc etc.

When I was a teenager and mentioned cramps? Her answer: "Mop the floor".

And she was 100% correct.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-18-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 11:17 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Just because you aren't the type to be active doesn't mean active people are the weird ones.

Calling mowing grass and washing windows a "frenzy" is weird to me.
It is more in the way it is done.

Guess it is hard to explain in a post.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:50 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I don't get it. Some people are very active, and that's great. Some people can sit around and that's great.

As long as they are happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-18-2018, 01:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't get it. Some people are very active, and that's great. Some people can sit around and that's great.

As long as they are happy.
They might be happy, but inactive people will likely become unhealthy people.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
They might be happy, but inactive people will likely become unhealthy people.
I completely agree.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-18-2018, 01:22 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Some people are contented doing as little as possible to get by. Most of them have been that way all their lives so trying to point out a different path is pointless. I have a son in law who is that way. He is a nice guy, very smart with lots of special skills, but he is just content to get by in life. I breaks my heart and sets a bad example for the grandkids but he is not likely to ever change.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Thank you to the OP who started this thread.

I have been dealing with fatigue for quite a while now. No ambition (oh, I have it in my head about all the stuff I want/need to do, but it never gets physical) to do anything. I used to be very active at one time in my life. I do have arthritis throughout my body, glaucoma which sometimes makes my eyes sore, burning, etc., and a recent diagnosis of diabetes (don't know if I or II yet).

I moved into my apartment in September 2011. It was in the high 80s / low 90s during the move and had been like that for a lot of the summer. High heat/humidity saps the energy right out of me. The time leading up to the move had been pretty rough for a few years.

When I was finally moved in, I just wanted to throw a sheet on the bed and lay down. But as you all know, there is such a thing as unpacking, putting away, etc. I think I felt "dead" for at least a month. Thank goodness for air conditioning.

I'll be 76 soon and wonder if what I'm feeling is "normal." I do a lot of napping. I am a night owl, one of my cats likes me to get up around 5 or 6, which I have to do it or he'll bug me until I do. So I'm up, make coffee, watch morning news. Fall asleep around 9. Up again around noon. But sometimes there is another nap after noon. Up again around 2 or 3. It's ridiculous. I know that but don't know how to break this habit.

Doctor asked me last week if I had a health proxy. Well I do but not sure where it is now and kind of knew it needed to be changed. When she asked if I wanted a DNR I said well only if I'm coming back same as now. She mentioned it's never a guarantee. For the first time I had to think of actually dying. I'm aware we all die, but I guess I didn't put my age/health had to be considered in the formula. I felt panicky and my first thought oh no there is too much I still want to do. But at the rate I'm going now, most of that will never happen.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:03 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It is the old chicken and egg issue. If you are active, you will live longer? Or does being active just mean your health is good to begin with?

I have chronic fatigue, muscle weakness and an autoimmune disease. I force myself to do things every day for pretty much every activity. Otherwise I would be sitting on the couch, taking naps and moving closer to death.
It's no longer a chicken and egg issue. It's been studied. Getting fit, even if you start late in life, can maintain your good health for longer. (Caveat: I'm equating being active with being fit, which may or not be true.)

Old 03-18-2018, 02:05 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
I think the name of this thread might better have been "Physically Energetic Seniors."

Most of the contributors are focused on physical activity, which without a doubt has definite health advantages.

But this emphasis suggests that a stagnant mind, one bereft of curiosity and a willingness to explore beyond the same ol' same ol' isn't part of the profile of an "energetic senior." What about mental "fitness" in the picture of the energetic senior?

Last edited by kevxu; 03-18-2018 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement