Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I think we all expected this to happen. I just thought most boomers would choose a warm climate to relocate to. (Like us) Can't believe how many move North to retire. (we had enough of that slippery stuff)
I’ve traveled the world but my sense of place is New England. After I stop skiing eventually, I will likely find somewhere warm like Portugal to cut the edge off for a few months in the winter. My father retired to the beach in Florida. I have no interest in doing that. I’m fine with my boat launching for Memorial Day and hauled before Halloween. I have AWD and snow tires. I have a fireplace. I have high tech clothing.

I’m planning to retire to the coastal village where I’m from partly due to costs. I can’t afford the massively high cost of living places I lived most of my adult life. My house costs 25% of what I used to own and the ownership costs are affordable when my cash flow drops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 11:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Health and weather. Sick and tired of winter ice and snow. All I need is to fall on ice again and screw up the other shoulder. Or break some bones. Can't breathe when it's cold (Cough non-stop), and can't breathe when it's humid. It's like sucking in water. So warm, no winter, dry. No a great fan of the desert environment, but I can breathe!

And we have met some wonderful people here.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM

543 posts, read 703,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
Or, you could be thankful that we are willing to spend our NY pension dollars boosting your local economy.
State's deficits are in huge part a result of public entitlements. A public worker should at least have the decency to spend that money in the State that gave it to them. Public labor in places with low COL usually don't have anywhere near the salary or benefits of the urban areas of a State like NY

Old 03-30-2018, 12:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I wondered "why in the world does the US Department of Agriculture keep track of so-called 'retirement counties.' I'll bet they have a few hundred employees doing it."
The USDA has a major home loan program in rural areas throughout the United States. I have a lot of neighbors with USDA loans.

https://www.rd.usda.gov/about-rd/age...ousing-service

Old 03-30-2018, 07:52 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Well I live in a beach town and while I love location and what if offers, I’m moving away from all the tourists that flood the town, trash the beach and town, caused prices to sky rocket and have no respect for those living there. Oh and they come from the North and South, no distinction in their attitudes.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:36 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Retiring baby boomers have certainly had a huge impact on my town, Williamsburg, VA. Retirement has become the #1 industry here. There is a lot of new construction, mostly 55+ communities or neighborhoods that advertise heavily in publications for seniors.

Quite a change from the way the town was even 5-6 years ago. When my sister moved here our friends and family thought it an unusual choice for retirement; most people we knew were still mostly talking about NC, FL or AZ. Now it regularly makes the top ten lists for retirement destinations.

People want the milder climate, a small town close to beaches but out of the hurricane zone, lots of parks and outdoor scenery, and lots of recreational/cultural things to do.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
State's deficits are in huge part a result of public entitlements. A public worker should at least have the decency to spend that money in the State that gave it to them. Public labor in places with low COL usually don't have anywhere near the salary or benefits of the urban areas of a State like NY
Nah, take it and run was my plan. Outta there and did it and paying less taxes than if I was still there. Lots of folks do that. Sorta like living in one state and working for a close by state or living in one town and working for another.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
More than anything else, it is crazy policies and high taxes that are driving us out of CA. I hope that NV does not follow suite although it looks like it is starting to.

Quote:
Our pensions are federal (mine military and my wife military and civil service), so unless we move out of the country I guess we are being decent by spending that money where it came from.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
More than anything else, it is crazy policies and high taxes that are driving us out of CA. I hope that NV does not follow suite although it looks like it is starting to.
but... no other states have Prop 13. Most of my CA transplant co-workers returned to CA in retirement to reap the 'benefits'.

I have been chased (taxed) off (3) places due to Californication of property values.

Colorado in the 1970's, WY in 80's, WA at the moment. (property taxes went from $3 / day to $43 / day with inflow of CA equity.

Think how much better we would all be (including the the State of CA), if the equity beyond USA average valuation would had been required to remain in CA!!!

Really sad what happened to MT and WY.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
My property taxes in CA are about $10k/yr, in NV my similar sized house is about $3.5k/yr.

Prop 13 has big effect only if haven't moved. My mom's house in CA (similar value) is well under $1k/yr in taxes, she has been in the same house for 50 years. Nevada has similar idea to CA prop 13, works a little different but similar type of system with a 3% max owner occupied increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement