Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM

60 posts, read 41,746 times

Advertisements

I have had a hearing problem for years. I finally scheduled an appointment at the Audiologist for hearing aids. The Wife on the other hand has excellent hearing but does have a listening problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrebel View Post
I have had a hearing problem for years. I finally scheduled an appointment at the Audiologist for hearing aids. The Wife on the other hand has excellent hearing but does have a listening problem.

I have a listening problem. I deliberately and consciously tune out those who refuse to look at me, speak slowly, and keep their hands from in front of their mouth. I will ask nicely 3 times. ONLY.

My husband on the other hand has a habit of talking. Not speaking to anyone, just letting his thoughts come out of his mouth. It's fine for the kitties and dogs, they think he blabbers all the time anyway. I have learned that he does ... blabber. So I have stopped listening to him. We have an agreement that he keeps forgetting: get my attention before you speak to me, yet he will insist he has told me something or ask "did you hear me?" My answer to that is, "I cannot hear, I must listen." I say that no fewer than 10 times every day. At least I no longer have to say, "...so get my attention first."

Old 03-28-2018, 02:43 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Yes, I saw an ENT and had a hearing test first. They recommended the audiologist.

Movie dialogue is difficult for me sometimes even with hearing aids. A lot depends on the acoustics of the theater. Ironically, the promos they play before the feature are so loud, I sometimes have to cover my ears.
Though I am losing hearing, I'm still quite sensitive to loud noises.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:15 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Though I am losing hearing, I'm still quite sensitive to loud noises.
Same here.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I am guessing not too many people (even those who wear hearing aids) know what kind of things a smartphone app for a particular hearing aid can accomplish with this relatively new technology.

Any one of you using this Bluetooth technology care to chime in with your favorite feature?

I have the Bluetooth/iPhone connection with my hearing aids. This technology seems to be changing quickly. I had my mine in for repair and got a newer one on loan and it had added features in just over a year's time.

I like the hands-free phone call answering. Actually, any sounds that come to your phone can be directed to your hearing aids such as voice mail. If you have music on your iPhone you can listen via the Bluetooth link. One of the features I like is listening to audiobooks downloaded to the iPhone.

The app that resides on your iPhone and manages and keeps track of the battery levels, sound volume, bass or treble balance, and directional adjustments. I have four basic programs -- a universal setting, a conversation setting, a television setting, and a privacy setting. I like the privacy setting because it blocks out unwanted sounds. I watch a lot of PBS and always had trouble with British accents but the television feature has corrected that problem.

There is an adjustment period of a few weeks or longer while your brain gets accustomed to the new hearing aids. Therefore, your earliest experience will improve over time if you wear your hearing aids every day. Part of the confusion of hearing loss is the brain's attempt to fill in the blanks for missing words. Once you get accustomed to the hearing aids your brain doesn't have to guess at words as it learns to trust what it hears.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 AM

10 posts, read 16,047 times
I went to sams club and bought a pair of hearing aids for 2k, liberty hearing aids out of philly I have had many hearing test by Drs. but the test I got at Sams club seemed to be the best one and they really worked , I could hear things like my turn signals blinking ,and birds singing it was the best 2k I ever spent

Old 04-03-2018, 09:02 AM

749 posts, read 581,006 times
Do you recommend going to see your primary doctor and a ENT doctor before you get hearing aids?

Or go directly to an audiologist for a hearing test?

Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Do you recommend going to see your primary doctor and a ENT doctor before you get hearing aids?

Or go directly to an audiologist for a hearing test?
You should certainly see a physician first in case there's a treatable medical problem causing or contributing to your hearing loss.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Yes. I was given a hearing test prior to my release from the military, and had some difficulty with it. I had been with artillery and tank units, but a year at division HQ was probably responsible for the damage to my hearing, due to twelve hours on/off with a radio earpiece with the squelch off.

The VA determined that I needed either hearing aids or an operation; it was my choice. They gave me a couple of weeks to think about it, and I decided upon the operation. I returned to the VA to give them my decision. While in the waiting room, I heard the person sitting next to me moaning in pain. As I turned to look at him, I saw a bloody bandage behind his hear, as he rocked back and forth in pain. Right or wrong, I figured that this guy had "the operation" and I wanted no part of that.

Now 55 years later, my hearing hasn't gotten any worse, although I developed tinnitus along the way. (Oddly, that doesn't bother me.) There are certain actresses on TV that are hard for me to understand - Megan Mullally from Will & Grace, for one - and when I'm spoken to by someone in another room, fuggetaboudit. It's a minor annoyance that I don't even think about until my girlfriend shouts, "Turn the TV down!"

Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Hearing aids are one of the most profitable medical rip offs today. They basically are miniature amplifiers that cost less than $50.00 to manufacture. It's the outrageous costs of advertising those products that raise the prices and the high commissions paid out.
Those full page weekly ads in the newspapers, the TV ads and the dozen or so mailers you get in the mail each month are what you're paying for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement