Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure how to post this as I'm not used to people not having/using the internet but, a neighbor confided she was seriously worried because she went down the hall for something & totally forgot why & had to retrace her steps to remember

For those of us who do frequent the internet it becomes laughable because we have all done that.

What I would like to do is to share the moments you have remember forgetting, bring her to my apartment, (as she doesn't have internet/computer or kindle & let her read what we all share.

I know if I hadn't read some of others thoughts/histories I would have been scared of the things we go through as we age. But, with the help of everyone, things make sense & I know I'm not alone.

So...how best to help her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,376 times
Ok, here’s my latest and greatest one.

Today I reached for my glasses, and they weren’t where I normally leave them on the bedside table. 👀But I needed to see in order to look for them, so off I went into the bathroom, where I keep an old pair in a drawer. Subconsciously noticed my real glasses sitting on the bathroom vanity counter, and without thinking, grabbed them and put them on. 👓Pulled open the drawer, got out my old pair of glasses, started to put them on, and realized I now had my good glasses perched on my nose. Where did they come from? I hadn’t even started searching for them yet? I stared bewildered at my face with my glasses beaming back at me, until I realized what must have happened.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
Ok, here’s my latest and greatest one.

Today I reached for my glasses, and they weren’t where I normally leave them on the bedside table. 👀But I needed to see in order to look for them, so off I went into the bathroom, where I keep an old pair in a drawer. Subconsciously noticed my real glasses sitting on the bathroom vanity counter, and without thinking, grabbed them and put them on. 👓Pulled open the drawer, got out my old pair of glasses, started to put them on, and realized I now had my good glasses perched on my nose. Where did they come from? I hadn’t even started searching for them yet? I stared bewildered at my face with my glasses beaming back at me, until I realized what must have happened.
That's exactly what I'm looking for!

How many times do we go looking for our glasses & there they are, on our heads.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:20 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
LOL, good one. Thanks for sharing.

My story is I will think of something at the other side of the house, on my way there I see something that attracts my attention, do that task, then go to say, the kitchen, and just stand there, thinking "what did I come here for"? Lots of times I don't remember, go back to where I was, then remember because of the "trigger" in that place.

I am also good at starting to tell someone something/my thought, but to give them the "full picture" I go back in time to bring them up to date. By the time I finish my "back" story, I have forgotten the point or current details I began telling them to begin with.

You are not alone..........LOL

Old 03-09-2018, 10:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Mine, today — tax time, and I’m printing payment amounts to reconcile 1099’s and I have to figure out why my medical expenses seem so low. And I’ve got a mass of paperwork on the dining table.

Also...my laptop died and we decided since my phone is my main internet device, we’d share his desk top. His office is a mess, and I feel like an interloper. We’ll get there, but I’m still getting used to this set up. And I had to get a new Quickbooks.

Then I had to look up something up on our credit card, and my phone couldn’t access the information, so I had to go to the website, used the wrong numbers and got myself locked out and had to go back to the living room to get my credit card. Stopped at the dining room table to pick up something else and when I walked into the living room totally forgot why I had gone in there(to get my credit card).

I hate tax time.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Mine, today — tax time, and I’m printing payment amounts to reconcile 1099’s and I have to figure out why my medical expenses seem so low. And I’ve got a mass of paperwork on the dining table.

Also...my laptop died and we decided since my phone is my main internet device, we’d share his desk top. His office is a mess, and I feel like an interloper. We’ll get there, but I’m still getting used to this set up. And I had to get a new Quickbooks.

Then I had to look up something up on our credit card, and my phone couldn’t access the information, so I had to go to the website, used the wrong numbers and got myself locked out and had to go back to the living room to get my credit card. Stopped at the dining room table to pick up something else and when I walked into the living room totally forgot why I had gone in there(to get my credit card).

I hate tax time.
Perfect - exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
LOL, good one. Thanks for sharing.

My story is I will think of something at the other side of the house, on my way there I see something that attracts my attention, do that task, then go to say, the kitchen, and just stand there, thinking "what did I come here for"? Lots of times I don't remember, go back to where I was, then remember because of the "trigger" in that place.

I am also good at starting to tell someone something/my thought, but to give them the "full picture" I go back in time to bring them up to date. By the time I finish my "back" story, I have forgotten the point or current details I began telling them to begin with.

You are not alone..........LOL
Lodestar - I do that so often! It's amazing youngsters even put up with us, lol. Ah, but we do have great stories, don't we.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Perfect - exactly what I'm looking for.
The other thing? My grandmother, who hailed from Pennsylvania Dutch stock had a saying that is truer the older I am — the hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Oh, me too...ah I forgot just now what I wanted to share....

Old 03-10-2018, 02:25 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
My house is small and its just me and the four legged kids. But I have to assemble all the 'stuff' I need for whatever project I'm starting. So I get it out and sit it next to the laptop. And I am all ready when I decide I need coffee too. So I go and start coffee, get the cup ready and pour. Of course, I've got to sip it to see if it needs more/less sugar and milk. (yes, I'm very particular about my coffee). I decide it needs sugar, but the sugar isn't open. So then I have to get a knife and slice open the bag. So now I have sugar. I take a taste and add some milk and its perfect. It tastes so good I drink the cup right there. Then get another. Then on the third I go back to the computer. And the coffee is still so good, but what was it I was going to do with the story? Something to do with xmale character? The tall one who can never make up his mind? Then its kind of exciting. Yeah, yeah, he has this special moment. Something he has to do, something which makes all his divergent bits of life be one. And then how when if he does, how interesting it would be.

So, drink another cup. *Yes I do LOVE a really perfect cup of coffee, and do drink a lot of it* And I start thinking, Gee if this person had this golden moment, all that other stuff I already had sort of laid out for him wouldn't fit. And he's not supposed to be the focus, but the kicker who doesn't fit, and I could improve him so much it would be HIS story instead.

So, maybe needing to fix the coffee was meant to be. And its still interesting, and there could be a story with an alternate timeline (LOVE those very much). And I go look at my favorite board, and read mail and such since I know just what to write now, just aren't in the mode for it this moment.

Once, in the winter when the house was COLD, I'd gone to bed to warm up. I was working on this story with a crutial scene, and it had to 'turn' the pathway of the story. I'd been thinking about it earlier, and got cold and laid down with a few dogs and cats and a warm blanket. Then I had this dream. It was just right, PERFECT layout and characters and everything.

I got up, put on my coat, and turned on my computer, and just wrote. It was all there in my head and I just mostly recorded it. It had things to fix in it, but what matters then is just keep the central story together. If I need to look something up or need to add something just note it. The blitz of ideas is only there when it is. When its over its harder to get it back.

So, scanning over it and satisfied, I'm cold and tired and shut down the computer, go back to bed and crash. Later I pull out the added stuff, straighten it out and fit it in and so on, so it fits story and people, but those amazing flashes of ideas are awesome. I try if at all possible to do some notes since they only play in 3d in the mind once. But its impossible to ignore. You just have to save it somehow. Its like the characters in the story reaching out to tell their own.

I'm also exceeding good at 'losing' things. I mean stuff like, where's the keys? I was sure I put them on the hook. Follow by frantic search. Or where's my phone. Of course I have two now so I don't have to go look immediately. But those quick short term memory things tend to not stick too well and I try to keep things in their spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement