Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:22 AM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times

Advertisements

March is the worst month in New England. You are ready for snow to stop and you get hit with blizzard after blizzard.
I want us to go some place warm for a month next year.
My daughter and my grandkids live in LA and and that seems the best plan. However she has no guest room in the new house they just nought.
I am considering our options.
We would rent a car and find a place to rent for a month in her city.
Have you done this?
How did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:40 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,410,152 times
I haven't done it, but I considered doing something similar -- leaving the August heat in FL and renting a condo in Orange County CA for a month. But I was planning on driving out, because I have two dogs. In the end, I bagged it because I was afraid I physically wouldn't be able to do that cross-country drive, and I wouldn't realize it until I was in Texas or somewhere. However, if I could have flown out, I think it would have been a great idea. I don't know how much a month-long car rental would be, though.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:26 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
check out Airbnb for small apartments that might be close to your relatives. They might offer a discount for staying longer than a couple of days.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:39 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
check out Airbnb for small apartments that might be close to your relatives. They might offer a discount for staying longer than a couple of days.
All good ideas, IMO. The only thing I'd suggest is if you're wanting to stay in an area that's heavily populated by snowbirds or other visitors at the peak of season ( as March would be in Florida, and I imagine places like Arizona and other warm locations), make those reservations way before you need them- depending on what you are willing to spend, a year ahead of time isn't unreasonable. My sister had hopes of spending about two months during peak season here in SW Florida, but was unable to find anything she could afford ( or for that matter, for less than $ 2500 a month, for a small apartment decently maintained) and she was looking 9 months before she planned to come.

Hopefully this wouldn't be such an issue in areas that aren't in such insanely high demand by snowbirds or other seasonal visitors.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I would do just a short term rental if you're looking to knock the edge off.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:12 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
I certainly agree about escaping the winter. The past 2 years my wife and I visited her brother in Hawaii for several weeks in Feb/Mar. He has sold the house so this year we spent the whole winter in the northeast. Never again. We are thinking another Hawaii trip or maybe Florida. Years ago I spent the winter in the RV in Death Valley and nearby areas. I would like to do that again.

As to your LA trip. I think that depends on your daughter. Does she have time and interest to handle an extended visit? That would not be the case for our kids. They have busy lives of their own and short trips work better. I would consider a shorter visit of a few days or a week or two and then plan something else for your winter break. LA would not be on my list. I lived there for several years. The weather is nice but otherwise I found it to be crowded, devoid of culture and soulless.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:54 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
March is the worst month in New England. You are ready for snow to stop and you get hit with blizzard after blizzard.
I want us to go some place warm for a month next year.
My daughter and my grandkids live in LA and and that seems the best plan. However she has no guest room in the new house they just nought.
I am considering our options.
We would rent a car and find a place to rent for a month in her city.
Have you done this?
How did it work out?
My husband and I did this several times, spending a month up north to escape the awful summer heat in Florida. We rented apartments through VRBO -- most of the rentals give a discounted rate for a month-long stay. Just be careful to do plenty of research on the properties before you decide.

Also, don't be dependent on your family members to provide you with things to do. They have their own lives and shouldn't be required to entertain you on a daily basis.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
I'm the adult child rather than the retiree and live in the same city as my mom so no personal experience. But I have many neighbors whose parents come for an extended visit while staying in a nearby rental to get a bit more privacy and a break from each other when needed. It seems to work out very well, esp. for the grandkids to have some extended time with the grandparents. Not that they spent every second together, but when you are used to seeing grandparents for a week at a time a couple of times a year, seeing them a few times a week for a month at a time really deepens the relationship.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:39 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
We've done this several times using VRBO back when we'd come up from Florida to visit our grandkids. It was always a pleasant experience.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
If you can visit and have a few meals at their house during the day, you could just get a room at a cheap but decent motel with free breakfasts, such as Super 8 for about $85/night. There are some VRBO homes available in the $80-100 range but you have to do your own housekeeping while there, and and pay a cleaning fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement