Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times

Advertisements

For example, I worked for the state of Florida for 10 years and part of my pay went to FICA and when I moved north and worked for a state institution in IL they did not collect FICA taxes (i.e., I didn't pay into Social Security) for the two years I worked for the state.

Some think it's good not to pay into Social Security so you have more take home pay but then I think of all those people who worked for the state of IL and the state pension plan has been in shambles in recent years, thereby decreasing your social security benefits or if you worked for the state of IL all your life you haven't contributed to social security at all, and therefore won't get any SS benefits.

But ironically, IL is one of 13 states which don't tax social security retirement income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Some governmental units (state and local as well as public schools) can declare themselves as exempt from FICA.

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-05-786T

Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some governmental units (state and local as well as public schools) can declare themselves as exempt from FICA.

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-05-786T
Thanks, I just find that a disadvantage for those state employees, like I said particularly in IL if those state employees don't receive their pensions until the state gets out of the hole.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:03 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Because we are the united STATES of america.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post

But ironically, IL is one of 13 states which don't tax social security retirement income.

actually, there's only 13 states that do tax SS.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...its/index.html

that aside, if you know going into the job the employer doesn't pay into it, it's on you to put money aside for the future, and not getting that amount taken out of your pay gives you more money to invest.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

that aside, if you know going into the job the employer doesn't pay into it, it's on you to put money aside for the future, and not getting that amount taken out of your pay gives you more money to invest.
True, you should be saving or investing that money in a manner that reduces your tax liability (pre-tax deductions). Ironically, you gave me a link that shows 13 states that DO tax SS, but the link I gave earlier is 13 states that DON'T tax SS. All different states but ironically there's 13 of each, so what's with the remaining 24.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Not paying into SS while working so you can have more take home pay is really short sighted. It hits home when you retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

And good luck with that! Most people will just spend that extra $300 a month take home. Investing, sure. But how much growth will it take to give you $1600 a month for life (plus COLAs) and free part A Medicare?

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-11-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,395 times
IME many of the jobs/employers that don’t pay into Social Security are state and local government entities (many are LEO and fire departments) and the idea is that the money will be directed toward a defined benefit pension instead. But that has been evolving and will continue to evolve as those entities switche to defined contribution and TSP-type plans instead of pensions, with Sovial security becoming part of the retirement equation for those employees affected. (i.e., the feds’ shift from CSRS to FERS).

And it can be a very small group within a larger entity. I worked for a state corrections agency. The bargaining unit security staff were in a non-SS plan but the rest of the agency paid into SS.

The folks who are going to have a real problem are the individuals who seek the clergy exception to SS and fail to save anything in lieu.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Railroad emplyees also had a program separate from Social Security.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:17 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post

The folks who are going to have a real problem are the individuals who seek the clergy exception to SS and fail to save anything in lieu.

That has been discussed among many different denominations, especially the Southern Baptist Convention. Non participation in SS also means no disability coverage as well as no retirement coverage.

Some independent churches try to push their pastors into NOT taking social security as it saves them the 7.65% portion of the payroll taxes. However, the pastors that I have counseled have been told to participate in SS unless they are very independently wealthy ... which is unlikely.

By the way, that is just scratching the surface of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement