Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

No, this is no different than what the tax forms have stated for as long as I can remember.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that the title of this thread is really accurate. It reads as if this is an extra deduction that seniors are going to receive in 2018 as a result of the new tax law. In fact, seniors have always received this deduction (again, for as long as I can remember). For example, as the chart in the OP points out, for tax year 2017, seniors who are 65+ or blind received an extra $2,500 per couple on their standard deduction. For this new tax year it is simply being increased to $2,600 if married filed jointly.

But I guess titling the thread as seniors to get an extra $2,600 in a deduction if married in 2018 has more clickbait potential than saying seniors will get an extra $100 deduction if married, lol.
Is there some type of reward for getting people to click on threads one creates?

Advertising revenues are maybe increased by more clicks?

And perhaps if one is looking for the $5000 City-Data award or the $500 City-Data award, one wants to get as many clicks as possible......

Or one just enjoys having created an active thread that lots of posters find interesting and are compelled to post on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 05:48 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
But I guess titling the thread as seniors to get an extra $2,600 in a deduction if married in 2018 has more clickbait potential than saying seniors will get an extra $100 deduction if married, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Is there some type of reward for getting people to click on threads one creates?

Advertising revenues are maybe increased by more clicks?

And perhaps if one is looking for the $5000 City-Data award or the $500 City-Data award, one wants to get as many clicks as possible......

Or one just enjoys having created an active thread that lots of posters find interesting and are compelled to post on?
It was a joke. You know, J - - - O - - - K - - - E.

And for those who may have misunderstood my intent, or who otherwise have an impaired sense of homor, I even included a big, green, "Big Grin" emoji. It looks like this:

Since apparently that still wasn't sufficient to identity my comment as a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor directed at my good friend Mathjak, next time in addition to an emoji, I will write in all capital letters: THIS COMMENT IS MEANT TO BE HUMOROUS AND NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

And then I will add a series of emojis thusly:

I trust that such an action will help people realize that such a comment is not to be taken seriously.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
MadManofBethesda,

I thought your post #5 was right on point, excellently stated, and needed to be stated!

I was not criticizing your post #5 at all. I was glad you pointed out to everyone the pre-existing elderly deduction, and the elderly single/married deduction increase. And how the senior/elderly married deduction was going up just $100.

I don't think your post #5 is humorous nor was my response post humorous. The title of the thread is misleading and inaccurately stated - which you accurately pointed out.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-12-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 09:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
So...I DO NOT have to find someone to marry me in 2018 ????? Whew, that was close. LOL LOL

Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
luckily my dad was wrong about what he told me as a teenager because i would have been getting that deduction decades ago for blindness ha ha ha
And just what was it that you were doing that was making you go blind???!!!

We actually owe this year as we thought the 24k was instituted immediately. Imagine our surprise....first time in 18 years,we've owed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement