Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,697 times

Advertisements

I have been mowing my yard in Atlanta myself and generally spending about 45 minutes to an hour each mow, ever since my divorce in 1997. I have had my retirement home in TN since last year and, since I couldn't be in two places, I have had to hire a lawn service. $30 a week to mow/edge in growing season. I have made the decision to give away my lawnmower and edger in Atlanta before I move at the end of the month and get out of the mowing business. I will still do yard work, but I am done with the mowing! I have to admit, I carry a bit of guilt about it. The yard in TN is smaller and I COULD do it myself. I just don't want to! How does everyone else handle the decision to hire out work that you used to do yourself...and still could. Do you feel guilt at spending the money? BTW, I am in my second week of retirement and spending my time in TN while the Atlanta house is on the market. I have to say that walks by the lake with the dogs in the middle of the day are fabulous! I even took in a movie matinee. Still hard to wrap my head around the fact that this is now my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I have been mowing my yard in Atlanta myself and generally spending about 45 minutes to an hour each mow, ever since my divorce in 1997. I have had my retirement home in TN since last year and, since I couldn't be in two places, I have had to hire a lawn service. $30 a week to mow/edge in growing season. I have made the decision to give away my lawnmower and edger in Atlanta before I move at the end of the month and get out of the mowing business. I will still do yard work, but I am done with the mowing! I have to admit, I carry a bit of guilt about it. The yard in TN is smaller and I COULD do it myself. I just don't want to! How does everyone else handle the decision to hire out work that you used to do yourself...and still could. Do you feel guilt at spending the money? BTW, I am in my second week of retirement and spending my time in TN while the Atlanta house is on the market. I have to say that walks by the lake with the dogs in the middle of the day are fabulous! I even took in a movie matinee. Still hard to wrap my head around the fact that this is now my life!
nope - hate mowing. Like to grow veggies, but take care of a yard - no. If you can afford it and would rather do something else that you enjoy - why not? Isn't that what retirement is all about?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
I mow my own grass on my own terms and own schedule. There are just some things I don't want to hire out.

Hell, though, it's your time and your money. If you want to quit mowing and hire it out, you don't have to justify that to anybody but yourself.

You may want to think twice before giving your equipment in Atlanta away, you might decide you want it in TN.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
HOA pays for the service along w/ tree (palm, oak) pruning, scrub trimming, edging, irrigation.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post

I don't mow my yard since it's all rock but I do have WEEDS...lots of them. So I have a guy come and spray every month. He's done such a great job I don't have that many weeds anymore but it's coming into the 'season' so I'll keep him. I could do it, yes, but he only charges me $30 mo. and my yard looks great, rocks and all. You do what you want to do. It's your time and your money so who cares what others think?

Old 04-12-2018, 06:42 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
I would look toward the mowing as exercise and do it as long as it was convenient and I was healthy. But if you can afford it and do not like doing it contract out all the yard work if you like.

So if you would spend the time at the gym then I would cut the grass, nothing to do with costs.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:44 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
HOA pays for the service along w/ tree (palm, oak) pruning, scrub trimming, edging, irrigation.
Actually you're pay for those services. HOA manages it.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
If I could afford to have someone clean my house and do my laundry, I'd do it in a heartbeat and feel no guilt whatsoever.

There are other things I'd much rather spend my energy on. Like gardening, organizing my hobby room, cooking and canning. I hate that I have to take time away from those things to do housework that I absolutely loathe. Exercise or no. I'd rather walk my dog any day of the week.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,792 times
I mow almost an acre without a riding mower, just a regular one and have been doing it for 15 years now. Sometimes it's over 100 degrees.

I'd love to have someone do it for thirty bucks, but we only have commercials companies and $50 to $75 a week is too much for cheap me to justify.

At least now I don't have to spend my few weekend hours doing it. I now have all the time in the world!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
nope - hate mowing. Like to grow veggies, but take care of a yard - no. If you can afford it and would rather do something else that you enjoy - why not? Isn't that what retirement is all about?
I so agree with you. However in my retirement. I have two houses that need yard work. I am paying someone to take care of the rental property. I haven't told my wife that yet. I was waiting to see if she would do something but she hasn't. It is her property but I am expected to take care of it. LOL well $3500 for the entire season will take good care of it. Maybe she will sell the property instead for next year. But I will take care of my own yard for the time being. At least it is only one yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement