Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:23 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Cool story!

Just to satisfy my own curiosity......How does he pay for all that adventure?
When he was living in San Diego he was doing fitness coaching. It's all done over the internet or by phone, so he can still earn money as he travels. When he runs short, I kick in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:16 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
When he was living in San Diego he was doing fitness coaching. It's all done over the internet or by phone, so he can still earn money as he travels. When he runs short, I kick in.
Very cool and yeah he is living the life!

BTW do you want to adopt another son?

Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Does he have a video link with clients? I want to set up something like that with my trainer.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:20 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
'Luxury Van' is an oxymoron.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I don't get the RV living thing. What's wrong with a hotel that has a bed and a good shower? Instead of dumping $100K+ on your portable hotel room and truck, invest the money and use the gains to fund travel.

When I was on the board of directors for our credit union, we'd get back at least two or three of these Winnebagoes each year. They drop in value quicker than a cheap car. Many people buy them on a whim and then use them just a few times. They end up parked on an RV lot rotting away. There are acres of them around here.

My advice: Rent and qualify the lifestyle before you buy. You'll likely discover things that you had not anticipated.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I don't get the RV living thing. What's wrong with a hotel that has a bed and a good shower? Instead of dumping $100K+ on your portable hotel room and truck, invest the money and use the gains to fund travel.

When I was on the board of directors for our credit union, we'd get back at least two or three of these Winnebagoes each year. They drop in value quicker than a cheap car. Many people buy them on a whim and then use them just a few times. They end up parked on an RV lot rotting away. There are acres of them around here.

My advice: Rent and qualify the lifestyle before you buy. You'll likely discover things that you had not anticipated.
I get what you're saying, but with your scenario, you are assuming the RV is not their primary residence. For many nomads, young and old, the van/RV/5th-wheel/bus conversion/etc. is their primary residence, they don't have the luxury to be able to park "their house on wheels" in the driveway of their home.

Many of these true nomads register their vehicles in South Dakota, which has one of the easiest qualifiers to become an official resident: spend a single night in the state, where most other states you need to spend 6 months + 1 day. Then they use mail forwarding companies to receive their mail as they travel throughout the US.

I definitely agree with you, if a person/couple already has a house and decides to drop some major bucks on a tricked out RV on an impulse and doesn't really end up using it, then yes, that was definitely a poor decision. But you also have to think of all the other reasons/scenarios people buy things like that, maybe that's where they will be living full-time and they don't want a traditional house anymore.

Last edited by cjseliga; 04-23-2018 at 06:15 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 06:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
There are days when I think how nice it would be to live in a van or RV. Just sell my house and travel from state to state following the nicer weather. Do you need to plan ahead to find places to "hook up to" for electric & water?

The routine of daily living is getting to me. Maybe it's because I haven't had a vacation in 11 years.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Keep in mind that for people recommending the "shower and bathroom at parks" thing is that many parks pretty much close their restrooms for the entirety of the "offseason," and we're not just talking about the dead of winter. I went up to Roan Mountain in Tennessee at the first of April and all of the restrooms I found in the public areas were closed. Maybe they're ope for campers, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:22 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Keep in mind that for people recommending the "shower and bathroom at parks" thing is that many parks pretty much close their restrooms for the entirety of the "offseason," and we're not just talking about the dead of winter. I went up to Roan Mountain in Tennessee at the first of April and all of the restrooms I found in the public areas were closed. Maybe they're ope for campers, but I wouldn't count on it.
That's why a lot of nomads chase 70-75 F weather all year round, which means they spend most of their winters in SoCal, Arizona, Southern TX, and Southern FL, where facilities could still be available. I still say, just use a portable shower that you can attach to the back of your van and it's gas heated.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:48 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
I can see some appeal to renting a big RV to drive across the country and back for a few months as a one time bucket list item. Traveling in a van where you use Porta potties and take a shower once a week? Nope and nope. Zero appeal for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement