Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM

245 posts, read 304,468 times

Advertisements

They've been super inconsiderate since they bought into our small condo building. Kids run wild, lots of screaming, no carpets plus the old building has no insulation.

On our last nerve we asked her to be quiet and she shrieked that we didn't belong in the building (even though we've been here with no problems for 8 years) and should move to a nursing home.

In a nanosecond she took our problem to the zenith, lobbing ageist, personal insults at us. We responded in kind.

Now the problem is having to encounter them plus they have pulled another couple with kids over to their side so its doubly awkward.

Wish we had never asked her to be quiet as its just a mess now - have to check to see if they are coming or going, pass in the hallway or parking lot.

No sign of either of them moving in the near future and in a small building like this its the only way out or just grin and bear the awkward encounters, condo meetings (ugh!) etc.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
It is unfortunate that you responded in kind with the insults, but it really wouldn't have mattered.

They are the problem, not you. Keep your head high, your routine the same, and have your perceived indifference to their insults be your sword of retaliation.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:12 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
Good reason for moving into a +55 situation.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Good reason for moving into a +55 situation.
Maybe that's what the kids meant when they said nursing home?

At least you don't have dogs peeing on your lawn. Right?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
No advice, but you certainly have my sympathy, although I know that's not worth much!

Any chance you can sell and move?

Old 06-01-2018, 03:13 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
I think this just shows that respect for others is declining. Not much you are going to be able to do and I hate to think how the children might act as they get older.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:15 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
55+ is better.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:41 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
You can't tell people with children to try and keep it quiet without making enemies you'll probably regret. Those days are long gone. When I was growing up, my mother would tell us to keep the noise down without anyone asking her to and we lived in a single family home, not a condo. Now, you either grin and bear it, or find somewhere else to live. Personally, I'd grin and bear it if I like my house. Maybe even bake some cookies and bring it over to them as a peace offering and let the dust settle.

Last edited by marino760; 06-01-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 05:07 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You can't tell people with children to try and keep it quiet without making enemies you'll probably regret. Those days are long gone. When I was growing up, my mother would tell us to keep the noise down without anyone asking her to and we lived in a single family home, not a condo. Now, you either grin and bear it, or find somewhere else to live. Personally, I'd grin and bear it if I like my house. Maybe even bake some cookies and bring it over to them as a peace offering and let the dust settle.
I’m about to find out just how right you are. My neighbors are watching grandkids all the time and it is non stop screaming with those kids. It is so bad I can’t sit outside my own house and read a book! I have never heard kids carry on like this. My parents would have knocked the snot out of me for acting like this.
We are about to have a come to Jesus meeting,which I’m pretty sure is going to mean the end of any communication between us. I just don’t understand why people don’t respect others.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:37 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think this just shows that respect for others is declining. Not much you are going to be able to do and I hate to think how the children might act as they get older.

The kids had to learn it somewhere, and we can see where that way. I don't know where respect has gone because it sure as heck doesn't exist much anymore. Parents are getting worse and worse thinking that their kids and grandkids are perfect little angels. Even in restaurants it is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
55+ is better.

Yep...........main reason we chose one. HOA has specific noise rules, plus there is a limit on how long anyone under 18 is allowed to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
...you either grin and bear it, or find somewhere else to live. Personally, I'd grin and bear it if I like my house. Maybe even bake some cookies and bring it over to them as a peace offering and let the dust settle.

Cold day in you know where when I would try to make peace because it just isn't going to happen. They will grab the cookies and see how more rotten they can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I’m about to find out just how right you are. My neighbors are watching grandkids all the time and it is non stop screaming with those kids. It is so bad I can’t sit outside my own house and read a book! I have never heard kids carry on like this. My parents would have knocked the snot out of me for acting like this.
We are about to have a come to Jesus meeting,which I’m pretty sure is going to mean the end of any communication between us. I just don’t understand why people don’t respect others.

Good luck!! Sounds like it's an "either you or us" situation. I'm surprised that no one else has complained. But no way would I allow a bunch of brats and their bratty parents/grandparents force their rudeness on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement