Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 09:26 AM

106,842 posts, read 109,092,448 times

Advertisements

i don't like to see more than 35- 40% of assets spent down delaying .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,795 times
There was no reason for me to wait until 70. Even waiting my social security was less than half of that of my husband. I am a bit older than him. I took it at my full retirement age. We have pensions and other investments. He retired at 63 1/2. His company paid for a year of cobra for each of us. We only had to pay a few months of cobra for him before Medicare. We did not spend down anything to wait until 66, our full retirement ages, to file. I got the spousal adder when he turned 66. My family is long lived. His is not. Break even points were not in our calculations. Hold harmless and ease of Medicare payments were. Social security is about 25 percent of our income now. We did not need it to live comfortably, but more money is always nice to have.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:18 AM

6,775 posts, read 5,080,459 times
With respect to spending down assets, as long as SS is enough to cover the basics like food, utilities, insurance, etc... I think one should keep enough assets to cover the big "lumpy" expenses that could arise. These are things like home repairs (foundation, sewer connection, roof, etc), or big dental bills. Sure, this isn't easy to estimate, but that's how I would look at it. Without some amount of liquid assets, when one of these events happens the only recourse would be to take a loan (if possible) or sell something.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,243,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m curious where you stand on this:

My age 70 Social Security check will be $43,524 in 2018 dollars. Make me 62. Make my IRA balance $400k. Assume it’s invested in something safe that tracks inflation. I pull out $50k per year. I’m paying taxes on $38k after the $12k standard deduction. 12% bracket money. Say I live somewhere with low or no state income taxes at that income level. I’m spending about $45k per year. At age 70, I start collecting my COLA protected Social Security check and have a trace amount left in my IRA account that rounds it up to that same $45k.

You’ve written a number of times that you wouldn’t spend the IRA to zero. From a worst case analysis point of view, spending it to near zero is the most conservative thing to do since you get the inflation protection for life. My girlfriend has similar career high income with a slightly lower Social Security check coming. Survivor benefits aren’t a consideration. We would be living on what would be a mostly tax free combined $80k+. No RMDs triggering the tax torpedo. I don’t have to sweat a big market correction and sequencing problem.

I have other assets so my numbers are better than that but I don’t see the problem with zeroing out my tax deferred portfolio to bridge myself to age 70.
What happens if you split up? Looks like you will be living right on the edge with no buffer for unexpected expenses. I know this is just a what-if, but many people would be more comfortable with taking the relationship risk than the market risk. Not me.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,243,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
For me, spending it down, while keeping it in a risk free vehicle, would be more painful than watching the market drop 50%. At least there’s the chance, if not the probability, of a market recovery.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:09 AM

while i was delaying ss i only kept 1 year in cash for spending . the rest was in a 50/50 mix . i would just rebalance yearly to refill cash . it is not like i would just put 8 years of spending in cash instruments

Old 05-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
There was no reason for me to wait until 70. Even waiting my social security was less than half of that of my husband. I am a bit older than him. I took it at my full retirement age. We have pensions and other investments. He retired at 63 1/2. His company paid for a year of cobra for each of us. We only had to pay a few months of cobra for him before Medicare. We did not spend down anything to wait until 66, our full retirement ages, to file. I got the spousal adder when he turned 66. My family is long lived. His is not. Break even points were not in our calculations. Hold harmless and ease of Medicare payments were. Social security is about 25 percent of our income now. We did not need it to live comfortably, but more money is always nice to have.
same here , ss is about 25% of income . i took it at 65 and my wife 62 . i retired at 62

Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
Quote:
Ok. So let’s say I’m 62, 1 million net worth, $400k in IRA, the other part 50% in a house and 50% other liquid or at least saleable assets. I hit 70 with the IRA mostly drained, a paid for house, $300k that could be spent, and that $43,524 COLA protected Social Security benefit. I could also sell the house if I age out of being able to live there.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:27 AM

i only count liquid assets when i look at what i consider safe to lay out . you can choose to count what you like .

the house should be reflected in a lower draw needed as opposed to renting when you live in it . . you would need to layout your regular draw plus the additional ss for 8 years .

if it was me i would not be comfortable with my balance , you did not say how much in total would be coming out for 8 years delaying .

Old 05-30-2018, 11:52 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
Quote:
i only count liquid assets when i look at what i consider safe to lay out . you can choose to count what you like .

the house should be reflected in a lower draw needed as opposed to renting when you live in it . . you would need to layout your regular draw plus the additional ss for 8 years .

if it was me i would not be comfortable with my balance , you did not say how much in total would be coming out for 8 years delaying .
For arguments sake, let’s say I’m shooting for a COLA-protected cash flow of $50k. From age 70 onwards, Social Security would be most of it. I’d only need 15% more to top it up. Ignoring the house since I don’t plan to sell it, I see no reason why I couldn’t stop working at 62, burn the IRA over 8 years in the most tax efficient way, and hit age 70 with a big slush fund to handle any unexpected expenses. With those hypothetical numbers, I can spend an inflation indexed $50k forever with just about zero risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement