Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:21 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,553,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I feel sorry for your friends with no hobbies. I can't believe such people exist. Hobbies, being alert, being interested in something, being motivated keep us young. These people, sorry to say, but I think will decline much faster than the rest of us. Health wise and mentally.
Really? Tell yourself that all you want but it doesnt work out that way. Genetics, income, have alot more to do with longterm health and welfare than a hobby? Whats a hobby anyway? I may be retired but I still go to the grocery store, cook, clean, take care of the old dog, pull weeds, mow the lawn, clean up dog poop, etc etc etc. maybe at some point I get to read a book, watch a tv show, etc etc. you must be a man because very few women ever retire. All the activities of daily living still need to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 05:26 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,246,501 times
Retired people spend a lot of time not giving a rat's patootie what other people think of how they choose to spend their time.

Last edited by Chaofan; 05-29-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 05:28 PM

765 posts, read 474,630 times
lol...... spend way too much time on CD forums firm in my belief that whole world is entitled to my opinions

but also seem to find plenty of time
1. volunteering
2. harassing congresspeople for having no backbone
3. staying out of the sun lest i get even more wrinkles
4. finding all sorts of mischief to get into just because i can get away with a whole lot more now that i'm a geezer....... come on y'all, let's go have some fun!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,353,742 times
I haven't developed many hobbies, and I'm okay with that. I have NO patience with anything that requires manual dexterity. Used to read A LOT, but now I become fidgety. Used to walk my dogs a lot, but the poor current Doberman has "impulse control" issues and makes these utterly insane noises when she sees another dog (non-aggressive, just OBNOXIOUS, so it's embarrassing).

Spend most of my time watching British series and historical documentaries and my NEW love is to look up 70's and 80's bands on youtube It's kind of a blast, actually (CSN&Y, Dave Mason, Bowie, U2, Culture Club, Big Country...the list is endless)

Old 05-29-2018, 08:14 PM

371 posts, read 288,370 times
My 75 yr old neighbor is a homebody, her 63 yr old husband is not.
She invited me to Tai Chi so we go 2x per week.

She also goes to a meeting for one hr, not sure what about.
They came to our house for dinner but she wanted to leave 1.5 hrs afterwards and her husband did not.
He said she just wants to go home and sit in front of the Boob Tube

Her schedule-

Tai chi- 2x week for 1.5 hrs
1 hr meeting
---------------------
3 hrs out of the house out of 168 HOURS a.k.a one week

They go grocery shopping once a week and eat out sometimes. But that's it!!

I couldn't live like that.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 PM

Cycling 3x per wk (1.5 to-3 hrs each time)
Gardening- Ever other day
Tai Chi- 2x per wk (1.5 hr class)
Bible Study
Church -every other week
Hike- Every other week
Fishing- 1x per month during the season
Watch TV- Almost daily
Study health related topics online
City Data
Work at least 24 hrs per wk

Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,653,490 times
Still new at this retirement thing.

My day today:

up at 7am, prepared light breakfast for my husband;
watered garden, pruned roses;
took husband to VA to schedule appointment;
mail a couple of ebay sales at post office;
went swimming/summing for a couple of hours
put dinner on
sat on patio until 930
took bath
and here I am....checking FB, Instagram, ebay, Postmark, Drudge....

Old 05-29-2018, 09:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I feel sorry for your friends with no hobbies. I can't believe such people exist. Hobbies, being alert, being interested in something, being motivated keep us young. These people, sorry to say, but I think will decline much faster than the rest of us. Health wise and mentally.
You are confusing hobbies with activities. Most people have some sort of activity they like to do. Not everyone has a hobby.

In any case no one wants your pity. I suggest you expand your horizons, read a book maybe, learn that there are many different kinds of people who exist in this world and many do not indulge in hobbies.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You are confusing hobbies with activities. Most people have some sort of activity they like to do. Not everyone has a hobby.

In any case no one wants your pity. I suggest you expand your horizons, read a book maybe, learn that there are many different kinds of people who exist in this world and many do not indulge in hobbies.
I didn't see him desiring your pity so relax a bit ok. He expands his horizons via a hobby like most people do in some form or another.
He makes some very good points in his post.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Still new at this retirement thing.

My day today:

up at 7am, prepared light breakfast for my husband;
watered garden, pruned roses;
took husband to VA to schedule appointment;
mail a couple of ebay sales at post office;
went swimming/summing for a couple of hours
put dinner on
sat on patio until 930
took bath
and here I am....checking FB, Instagram, ebay, Postmark, Drudge....
This is a good life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement