Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:33 AM

294 posts, read 293,687 times

Advertisements

What do you consider to be hobbies? You seem to be saying that going to the gym or playing golf or reading aren't hobbies. I think that they are.

Personally, I spend a lot of time on the computer just, well, doing what I'm doing as I type this. Or I read twitter then go read some articles that get linked there. I read the paper online (well parts of it anyway). I have a few blogs I enjoy reading. Is surfing the internet a hobby?

I also play video games. Are those hobbies?

My mom who is in her 90s was one of those who watched a lot of TV in retirement. Her two main things she enjoyed doing was to watch TV and read the newspaper. She is big on cleaning and would vacuum her den every day. Between keeping the house clean, watching TV and reading the paper her time was occupied in a way that she likes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:15 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I believe some people with no hobbies actually have the hobby of home and yard maintenance and cleaning.
Everyone has things that have to be done all the time like cleaning but those with no hobbies must have some time with nothing to do. What do you do?
I know some watch sports and that takes time, I hate to think very many people just vegetable out in front of the TV.
I go to different church events during the week.
I retired at 62 and a lifetime hot rodder I finally had time to work on cars but about the late 60's that became to much work and too hard and too tiring.
Also a lifetime Model Railroader and that really takes time.
Also I am now into slot cars too and am building a track.
These two more than take any extra time I may have, I neglect cleaning the house over them.
Some play golf or other sports. Go to the gym.
I have a friend who reads a lot.
A lot of people never had hobbies all their life.
I feel sorry for your friends with no hobbies. I can't believe such people exist. Hobbies, being alert, being interested in something, being motivated keep us young. These people, sorry to say, but I think will decline much faster than the rest of us. Health wise and mentally.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 PM

672 posts, read 443,542 times
I have no extra time.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,818 times
I spend a great deal of time on the computer, I also watch TV. I used to have an interest in sewing machines and working on my guns, but I am no longer really able to do anything with those things other than read about them. and my vision is getting bad so can't even do that much longer.
I have never really been a hobby person.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:45 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Here are some dictionary definitions of "hobby":

An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
A pursuit done outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation.

It could be anything. Doesn't have to be some "worthy" activity as long as you enjoy it. Pretty simple.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:10 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
I have more books than years left to read them.
I visit several online forums most days.
I exercise in the community pool when the weather permits.
I bought my first condo in 1987 and have not done yard work since.
Never played golf, boats are more fun.
I try to keep up on my loafing, which includes watching old TV shows like Twilight Zone, Mr Lucky, Paladin and Peter Gunn.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I've never understood why it bothers so many people that others may get their relaxation and enjoyment from watching movies, sitcoms, dramas, and other entertainment shows on tv. It wouldn't be my cup of tea to spend my days that way, but I certainly don't react negatively to others who do. And I definitely wouldn't pejoratively refer to it as vegetating.
Thank you.

Some people’s hobby is being judgmental of others.

I never had a hobby in my life but I do have interests. They vary. I kind of find something that appeals and just do it.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Here are some dictionary definitions of "hobby":

An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
A pursuit done outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation.

It could be anything. Doesn't have to be some "worthy" activity as long as you enjoy it. Pretty simple.
I think the the key word here is “regularly.” The only thing I do regularly is wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night. Everything else is whenever.

If anyone feels sorry for me because of that I feel sorry for their narrow mindedness in their inability to accept the choices of others.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:44 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,174 times
I don't really have a hobby. Still, I enjoy retired life so much! I enjoy playing video games, listening to podcasts on my iPad while doing jigsaw puzzles, looking at far away places on Google streetview, checking out whatever interests me on YouTube, reading forums like this one, talking to my friends, eating at restaurants, going on pleasure drives, and a million other things.

I hardly ever watch my 60" TV any more, although I do turn it on once in a while (less than an hour each week). I would watch it more but I am having more fun doing the other things listed above. Even though I don't watch much TV myself, I think it gets a "bad rap" and is no worse for us than many other sedentary forms of entertainment. I agree with this quote,
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
since I was usually sitting when I was reading, how is that better than watching tv?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:21 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,196,514 times
Living in a 55+ community, i can tell you that my retired neighbors basically do whatever they feel like, whenever the feel like it. One neighbor likes to sleep in late and then hangs out in her house or goes out on little shopping trips and that's all she needs. Another does volunteer work that he enjoys, and spends a lot of time in his garden, reads and takes little vacations here and there. Another is pretty social and has little get-togethers often, fishes and builds things. Another likes the outdoors stuff and likes to hike, RV and camp a lot. Of course they do a lot more, but this is what I've noticed just observing

I could go on and on, but they all just do a lot of what they did when working, but now have a lot more time to do it. I personally don't see why people are so obsessed with having a "hobby". What is that anyway? Just some activity you enjoy doing and devote time, resources, and effort to. For some, that could be as simple as sleeping a lot! Or loving to watch tv or stream movies. I think when you retire, what you spend your time doing just evolves organically. If you find yourself bored, you just look around for something new (or old) to do.

As we all age, we need more rest and down time, so trying to imagine when your'e young, what retirement looks like is impossible, because you're looking through filters of boundless, youthful energy and the vigorous health of a young person. Just in the last decade of my life (50s), I've very much noticed that I don't have the energy or desire to conquer the world like I used to. It's not a resignation, its more like a natural slowing down and very happy to do it! It's not a sad or weird thing like I thought it would be in my 20-30s.

I'm not at all worried about what I'll do when I retire. I just figure the answer to that is, whatever I want with very little time constraints. That alone would be heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement