Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And it's not good to blindly make false equivalences without looking at the domestic or foreign city statistics rather than entire countries as a whole.

For instance, here are some U.S. cities that have higher rates than the murder rate in Mexico you cited:

St. Louis, MO - - - - - - - - - 59.29
Baltimore, MD - - - - - - - - -55.37
Detroit, MI - - - - - - - - - - -43.82
New Orleans, LA - - - - - - - 41.68
Birmingham, AL - - - - - - - 37.21
Jackson, MS - - - - - - - - - -31.08
Baton Rouge, LA - - - - - - -26.23
Hartford, CT - - - - - - - - - 25.69
Salinas, CA - - - - - - - - - - 25.29
Milwaukee, WI - - - - - - - -24.15
Washington, D.C. - - - - - -24.10
Kansas City, MO - - - - - - 23.03
Savannah, GA - - - - - - - 22.48
Cincinnati, OH - - - - - - - 22.11
West Palm Beach, FL - - - 20.97
Memphis, TN - - - - - - - -20.52

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/nat...80bda8e.html#1

I don't see threads with dire warnings telling people not to retire to Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc., every time someone gets murdered in one of those states, but every time there's a murder of an American in a foreign country, it's suddenly unsafe to live anywhere within that country's borders.

You forgot Louisville, KY...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm often amazed, on these international house hunting shows, how Americans seem not to notice walls around the property or bars on the windows. They're probably there for a reason! I wouldn't want to be that neighbor everyone resents, either...
Been to Miami lately?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
First, crimes like murder, rape, and robbery can happen to anyone at any location. If it's you then that is the most unsafe location in the world. The only way we can compare is look at probabilities and overall statistics.

Second, the murder rate in Mexico has been soaring. Defenders love to cherry pick and compare the worst US cities with Mexico overall. But if the US can have an overall rate of 5.4 but range 20-50 in the worst urban areas, then what kind of rates do you suppose Mexico might achieve in it's worst urban areas if it's overall rate is 20.5? Compare apples to apples.

And then there's the matter of crime solving and convictions. In the USA, the clearance rate for murders was over 64% last year while in Mexico it's less than 2%. This complete lack of justice is one reason only 5% of crimes get reported in Mexico, where only 1% of those ever go before a judge, where only 2% of those get convicted. This couple's killers will never get arrested much less convicted, unless Mexico decides it is necessary politically in which case they will "find" someoneto arrest and convict.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:02 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
First, crimes like murder, rape, and robbery can happen to anyone at any location. If it's you then that is the most unsafe location in the world. The only way we can compare is look at probabilities and overall statistics.

Second, the murder rate in Mexico has been soaring. Defenders love to cherry pick and compare the worst US cities with Mexico overall. But if the US can have an overall rate of 5.4 but range 20-50 in the worst urban areas, then what kind of rates do you suppose Mexico might achieve in it's worst urban areas if it's overall rate is 20.5? Compare apples to apples.

And then there's the matter of crime solving and convictions. In the USA, the clearance rate for murders was over 64% last year while in Mexico it's less than 2%. This complete lack of justice is one reason only 5% of crimes get reported in Mexico, where only 1% of those ever go before a judge, where only 2% of those get convicted. This couple's killers will never get arrested much less convicted, unless Mexico decides it is necessary politically in which case they will "find" someoneto arrest and convict.
I have some other issues. I have no particular reason to believe that the statistics in Mexico are as accurate as those as in America. My hunch is that in a third world country many homicides are not reported or noted as such. In the USA, I suspect the crime statistics are reasonably accurate.

People can retire anywhere they want. However, I wouldn't touch Mexico with a ten foot pole. I don't even vacation there anymore.

I suspect that the entire government has been hopelessly corrupted by drug cartels. If the cartels want someone dead, the police all look the other direction. If the tourist industry is afraid that the true crime statistics will frighten away tourists, I suspect the government in Mexico simply doctors the numbers.

It all comes back to something I've repeated when these threads about retiring in a foreign country come up. Yes, America is expensive to live in. Its expensive because we have police that don't take bribes. We have judges that are not for sale. We have government agencies that do their best to keep accurate numbers. Our water won't give you diarrhea. Civilization isn't cheap, but does anyone really want to live without it?

Old 06-06-2018, 03:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I have some other issues. I have no particular reason to believe that the statistics in Mexico are as accurate as those as in America. My hunch is that in a third world country many homicides are not reported or noted as such. In the USA, I suspect the crime statistics are reasonably accurate.

People can retire anywhere they want. However, I wouldn't touch Mexico with a ten foot pole. I don't even vacation there anymore.

I agree on the statistics. Whether discussing crime or economics or whatever, it's easy to go online and find detailed statistics in the US but when it comes to 2nd and 3rd world countries you are reduced to estimates or unreliable numbers.

I disagree on the degree of doom. One can cringe at the thought of living in an area where the violent crime rate is 50 versus 20 but it's important to remember that is per 100,000. The odds of being a victim yourself remain very low. And crime is not wholly random. Sure, in some cases you are just at the wrong place at the wrong time but most of the time is can be related to who you are with and what you are doing. Most of those murders in Mexico are cartel-related and most of the victims were involved in drugs.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And it's not good to blindly make false equivalences without looking at the domestic or foreign city statistics rather than entire countries as a whole.

For instance, here are some U.S. cities that have higher rates than the murder rate in Mexico you cited:

St. Louis, MO - - - - - - - - - 59.29
Baltimore, MD - - - - - - - - -55.37
Detroit, MI - - - - - - - - - - -43.82
New Orleans, LA - - - - - - - 41.68
Birmingham, AL - - - - - - - 37.21
Jackson, MS - - - - - - - - - -31.08
Baton Rouge, LA - - - - - - -26.23
Hartford, CT - - - - - - - - - 25.69
Salinas, CA - - - - - - - - - - 25.29
Milwaukee, WI - - - - - - - -24.15
Washington, D.C. - - - - - -24.10
Kansas City, MO - - - - - - 23.03
Savannah, GA - - - - - - - 22.48
Cincinnati, OH - - - - - - - 22.11
West Palm Beach, FL - - - 20.97
Memphis, TN - - - - - - - -20.52

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/nat...80bda8e.html#1

I don't see threads with dire warnings telling people not to retire to Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc., every time someone gets murdered in one of those states, but every time there's a murder of an American in a foreign country, it's suddenly unsafe to live anywhere within that country's borders.
Yes, I agree. I didn't want to make my post longer by going into a lot of detail, but what you mention was embedded in what I was thinking when I wrote "Of course, people's personal risk can vary according to a lot of factors."

Old 06-06-2018, 07:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
Looking at average rates for large countries can be useful up to a point. However, that doesn't tell the whole story, and I never claimed it did. I've had a gun stuck in my face here in Houston, but never in Mexico. I used to travel to Mexico a lot, but I quit years ago on the advice of my best friend from there. As I said, Mexican friends there have been subject to muggings, carjackings, and home invasions. Such things do happen in the US also. However, I suspect (admittedly an emotional impulse) that an anglo-looking foreigner who looks like maybe he has money might be more at risk. Reminds me, it's not just anglo-looking people. A Japanese student of my friend had his briefcase stolen in Mexico City -- it had $50,000 in it. In the case of the home invasion, it was the boyfriend of the family's housekeeper who arranged it. These are just anecdotal details. My point isn't to put down Mexico -- I love Mexico and the people -- but just to call the attention of naive foreigners who might otherwise have an overly myopic and romantic attitudes. I think it's worthwhile to remind visitors to the US of the same thing: be careful when you're in an environment that is unfamiliar.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:52 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
<snip> most of the victims were involved in drugs.
Hello Baltimore!

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Overall, I'm personally nervous about traveling to non-European countries.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Botched robbery? What a stupid lie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement