Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Botched robbery? What a stupid lie!

Some details of the story are quite odd. The man was shot 18 times! That seems more like a deliberate murder with passion than getting interrupted during a theft. Meanwhile the woman was shot two times in the leg? She died but that doesn't sound like someone intended to kill her as leg shots are often not fatal. Whoever put 18 in him could have easily put a couple in her forehead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Botched robbery? What a stupid lie!
One wonders. I also wonder why a couple from a hot, dry location in the US would choose another hot, dry place in Mexico to have a second home?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
One wonders. I also wonder why a couple from a hot, dry location in the US would choose another hot, dry place in Mexico to have a second home?
My guess: The Sea of Cortez and fishing.

Random fact: Arizona, which you describe as a hot, dry place, has more boats per capita than any other state in the Union. However, it is kind of short on saltwater fishing.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:49 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
The woman had recently sold her home in Escondido which is north of San Diego. I suspect they were southern Californians, who liked a warmer drier location, retiring to Prescott but wanted to also be by the coast. And Prescott is not Phoenix in terms of hot and dry.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Overall, I'm personally nervous about traveling to non-European countries.
That makes your "world" very small!

At your age (young) you will be severely limiting your future, and you best get more settled about accepting living in Appalachia.

Tho 'American' ...In the past 5 yrs I have spent the majority of my time elsewhere in the world than Europe and USA, and I have seen VERY little of the world doing so (missed SA, India, and Africa).

Warnings for USA travelers is really quite low: (4 of 5 pages of countries = Normal precautions) so only <20% of the nearly 200 countries in the world.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...dvisories.html

Warnings for travelers TO the USA are interesting! (And the millions who CANNOT visit the USA due to health insurance fears (Their insurers / countries will NOT allow them to come to USA due to fear of needing USA medical care)

Generally, Not life or death..., but... Be Careful!
25 Foreign Travel Warnings for Visiting the U.S. | Mental Floss
https://safearound.com/americas/unit...es-of-america/

Oceania, Asia, ... there are a LOT of SAFE places to go!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/m...-in-the-world/
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Overall, I'm personally nervous about traveling to non-European countries.

OTOH, away from Europe, we're not subject to terrorist attacks....nobody cares enough about our little part of the globe.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:27 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's sad but it happens. Personally, I would never want to live somewhere where I am looked at as an American with money, probably as a foreign elitist by the locals no matter what country it is.
You may not think of yourself as a wealthy American, but by their standards, you are.
This happens with more frequency here, though.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,693,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
In response to this thread, I posted a link to a news article about a similar botched robbery and murder of a retired couple in Georgia as a facetious warning to people considering retiring to Georgia.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...r-georgia.html

For some completely illogical reason that made no sense whatsoever, that thread was moved to Current Events.

I'm not sure why the murder of a retired couple in a small town in Georgia is a "current event" but the murder of a retired couple in Mexico that has made national news apparently is not.
Exactly!

As people mature, they will (at least should) not be tricked into generalizing from particular incidents.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
In response to this thread, I posted a link to a news article about a similar botched robbery and murder of a retired couple in Georgia as a facetious warning to people considering retiring to Georgia.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...r-georgia.html

For some completely illogical reason that made no sense whatsoever, that thread was moved to Current Events.

I'm not sure why the murder of a retired couple in a small town in Georgia is a "current event" but the murder of a retired couple in Mexico that has made national news apparently is not.

An elderly couple was murdered in their Phoenix area home a few days ago. Today they reported that someone burglarized their home, several days after they were found murdered. Better cross Arizona off the list of retirement places too.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:42 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
An elderly couple was murdered in their Phoenix area home a few days ago. Today they reported that someone burglarized their home, several days after they were found murdered. Better cross Arizona off the list of retirement places too.
Did they report it by way of a séance, sort of like Patrick Swayze reported his murder in the movie Ghost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement