Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:41 AM

290 posts, read 250,241 times

Advertisements

I was a kid in the 60's. My friends and I would take a rod with bait to ponds or lakes and fish - even through high school in the seventies.

I still fish today, although it's more about passing the time than catching food. I have a boat in the marina and go out roughly once per week. I usually spend most of the day, and sometimes the whole weekend (sleeping on the boat). While I'm out I listen to music, read books, and drop a line into the water. It's really relaxing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
My dad loved to fish and I went with him all the time. Some of my earliest memories (probably 3 or so) are of going out opening day and fishing a local creek that had Rainbow and Cutthroat in it. We never caught anything big, maybe 7 to 9 inches, but we usually took a nice mess home and had fried trout for a late breakfast!

I still love fishing to this day, 60 years later, but now I fly fish almost exclusively and release most everything. The fish tend to be bigger, up to 3 pounds, and the evening rise is fantastic!

Thanks for helping me remember those early days!

Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I remember going fishing just once, with my siblings, when I was six or seven.

I stood behind my sister when she was casting, and got the hook embedded just above my eye. I remember trailing home behind my brother, clutching the fishing line that was still attached to the pole. ER visit got it out, I still have the scar.

For years after that, nobody ever caught a fish if I was along. I felt like some kind of Jonah. Eventually, thirty some years later, my brother in law not only caught a fish, but helped me catch one, too. Thanks, Bob!

Oddly, the incident came up once and I gestured to my scar. My mother insisted I was pointing to the wrong side. Um, hey, control freak, I know where the scar I've had for decades is.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 AM

8,770 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Just reading about other people fishing, is relaxing. We have not been fishing in a couple of years, but hubby and I love it. Something we will be doing in retirement. We are strictly catch and release

Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
My father took my younger sister and I fishing at a stream while on vacation in Pennsylvania when we were little. Our older siblings had real fishing rods, but we had sticks with line and hooks, and we were catching more than they were. I was small, but it's a happy memory in my mind. My father was disabled, and there weren't too many outdoor outings like that , so it stands out.

As an adult, I've twice gone fishing on the ocean, since I live in New Jersey and that's a thing to do if you live there.

That's about it. However, I will be 60 in a few weeks and I am dating a man who loves to fish, so guess what I am doing on my 60th birthday, weather permitting. It was my request. I wanted to do something different for the big Six-O.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Used to fish as a kid. This would have been in the very late 50s and very early 60s. Grew up in the L.A. area, close to the mountains. There was a debris basin at the top of the valley, (Crescenta Valley), that had a pond. Would jump into the "wash", (concrete lined debris channel), walk to the top of the valley, hop over the dam, and fish at the pond.

Only thing I caught was bluegill and once a catfish. Would carry them home and pan-fry them. Tasty, but not more than a couple of bites. Wow! The things we did as kids.

Even though I am now retired to a 'fisherman's paradise' in North Idaho, I no longer have any interest in fishing.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
My younger sister and I went fishing on lakes in lower Michigan with our parents in a small aluminum boat for bass and bluegill when growing up. We went fishing on a local river shore too, catching carp with Wheatie balls, that was for sport, the carp weren’t for eating.

Dad surf-casted at the ocean and we realized what we were swimming with in the ocean.

I hadn’t been fishing as an adult until our five year old grandson went to a county sponsored finishing day a year ago. He was taught to cast, tie on and got a free pole tackle box and etc.. They fish on the intracoastal, catching snapper, needlefish and some other fish I hadn’t seen before. That five year old can cast and he let me use his pole to do a few. I forgot how fun it was. My son was putting the bait on and taking the hooks out of the fish just like my Dad used to years ago, deja vu!

Old 07-10-2018, 08:41 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
When I was 13, I got a job at the local grocery store. It was pretty typical for us to get some liver scraps and have an adult drop off off near the local river where we'd fish for cat fish until late at night. Once we got our driver's licenses, we'd do that on a fairly regular basis.

My father loved to crappie fish. He'd make his own poles from bamboo which were long enough to drop a minnow right down into a submerged treetop. Many times, you'd drop your line into the water and the bobber would hit the water and keep going down as a crappie would grab the minnow and go with it! He had a small flat-bottomed boat and a small gas motor...perfect for our needs.

In the spring, it wasn't unusual for him to take a day off of work and go fishing. If I was lucky, he'd pull me out of school and I'd go with him. That particular river was a good hour from our house and of course, we'd have to stop and get bait.

If you've never had a 4-lb crappie on the end of a 10-ft bamboo pole, you've never really fished! It's a huge thrill.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I was lucky as my grandparents bought a farm right on the lake. Two of my brothers own it now.
Every summer was spent fishing. Prior to moving to Arizona I lived by the farm & did a lot of fishing with my nephew.

Growing up in Minnesota, fishing was almost a given. Winter fish houses on the lake became communities. There was a lot of partying going on! Summers, fishing was more solitary & relaxing. Great times & there's nothing quite like eating the fresh fish you caught.

Great memories.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Oh, sure.

Granddad took me fishing to resorts of stocked ponds. We did fish for hamour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamour in the bays of the Persian Gulf, usually from bass boats and the like, when I was a child, overseas in ARAMCO lands. In high school, my Father would fly us up to Arkansas to fish.

I was not, however, the fisher child in the family, that went to my younger brother. I have inherited rods and tackle boxes, somewhere, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement