Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late sixties, and my health is great right now.

I only take synthetic thyroid (because they nuked my thyroid) - and that's it.

I feel good, mostly - I do have anxiety, but it is situational (family problem).

I am into holistic health and do a lot of things that I think create health.

Just wondering how everyone else is feeling physically/emotionally/mentally/spiritually.

I think docs now HAVE to ask you how you are doing emotionally at appointments - don't know where I read this or if it has to do with Medicare, or what, but I think it is good - it's going to be hard for them to manage though, with those 10 minute (or is it seven?) appointments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:54 PM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
I'm 70 and in (what I believe is) much better than average health for my age. My BP is low, my weight is normal and I don't have any "old person ailments" yet except for a bit of stress incontinence. I exercise regularly. My only meds are thyroid, an antidepressant and a cholesterol drug.

Emotionally, I am doing as well as can be expected for a person who had a traumatic childhood that left me with chronic anxiety and depression. In spite of that, I am optimistic by nature and always try to look on the positive side. The only real change as I've gotten older is that I think about death more than I used to.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
72. Feeling great. Take no medications. Can still hike uphill for half an hour if I take it slow. Still involved in the community, making music, hobbies like woodworking and blacksmithing, have no chronic pain other than a sore left elbow that still works fine. I figured out years ago that religion is a scam, so my spiritual health is perfect.

There are a couple of down sides. I'm getting the cataract in my left eye done in May. The right eye was done a couple years ago. I would also like to have more sex, but can't bring myself to pay for it, so a couple times a week will have to do.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
60, decent health, no prescription drugs of any kind yet. I take vitamins occasionally when I Rembrandt it.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:18 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Asks the person whose screenname is "nobodysbusiness"!

Old 04-21-2019, 08:49 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
mid-50s and I feel like I'm in the best shape ever - even when I was active in high school.....fitness is my part time job ---usually do something every day......my main motivator was living in a retirement community where people my age all seem to have a huge beer gut, many smoke, and appear in poor health -and I didn't want to be like that......kind of proud of where I've gotten myself. But when I'm proud of myself, I see some folks in their 80s doing some really great stuff (swimming, running, hiking) that I'll thrilled to do if I get to that age.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
66 ,great health , slightly diabetic but okay with a hint of meds

Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I'm in my late sixties, and my health is great right now.

I only take synthetic thyroid (because they nuked my thyroid) - and that's it.

I feel good, mostly - I do have anxiety, but it is situational (family problem).

I am into holistic health and do a lot of things that I think create health.

Just wondering how everyone else is feeling physically/emotionally/mentally/spiritually.

I think docs now HAVE to ask you how you are doing emotionally at appointments - don't know where I read this or if it has to do with Medicare, or what, but I think it is good - it's going to be hard for them to manage though, with those 10 minute (or is it seven?) appointments!
I think depression is pretty common in the elderly and often overlooked.....it's a required part of assessment during doctor visits (along w/ pain, ability to care for yourself, alcohol consumption, tobacco use, safety issues, etc).

Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Female, 65. Very good health (knock wood). I think this is mostly because my part-time job involves a lot of walking and lifting up to 40-lb. boxes. No prescription meds of any kind, and no physical complaints (again, knock wood). My blood pressure averages about 115/75. Worst thing is my dental health, but that has been a problem of mine since I was a child. I am a size 8 and on a mostly low-carb and healthy foods diet (although I cheat at least twice a week), but I would still like to lose about 15 pounds, but at my age, since I feel good, I don't have the motivation I did even ten years ago.

I do feel very fortunate when it comes to my physical health, and okay-to-good emotionally/spiritually/mentally most of the time.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:33 AM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
My weight is just right, the distribution...not so good.

That scrapping sound you hear is my butt dragging.

That car wreck 9 years ago has not helped.

I'm 85
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement