Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times

Advertisements

I mean no offense to those who have found communities to their liking. This is directed at those of us who would like something different. We’re in a too large house and could possibly be talked into downsizing to a retirement community that offered some care options as we get older. The problem is that they are so boring! There is almost no variation in them, manicured settings, golf, pools, hiking trails, blah, blah, blah. The only things I’ve seen are a community or two in Florida or Arizona (can’t remember which now) with an emphasis on those who like cars and RVs. The homes have oversized garages and space for those hobbies.

Has anyone discovered anything different in what’s available? Anything trending?

We are resigned right now to living where we are until we can’t. I just dread moving to the things I see. Maybe I’ll get lucky and just croak right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 09:07 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I mean no offense to those who have found communities to their liking. This is directed at those of us who would like something different. We’re in a too large house and could possibly be talked into downsizing to a retirement community that offered some care options as we get older.
Are you talking about a Continuing Care Retirement Community?

OTOH, we toured a Sun City "active adult" development in Lincoln, CA, some years ago and noticed there were clinics popping up nearby, presumably close enough you could drive your golf cart there. Now that I look at the map, I see there's a Kaiser facility there now. Is that what you mean?

Quote:
The only things I’ve seen are a community or two in Florida or Arizona (can’t remember which now) with an emphasis on those who like cars and RVs. The homes have oversized garages and space for those hobbies.
Sounds like the air parks we've visited here and there, where you have a hangar attached or near your house. You might even live next to the runway.

I'm with you. I can't imagine anything more boring than living on a golf course. I'd rather have airplane noise, car noise or RVs.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:47 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
I live in a 55+, it's not a retirement community as many people here go off to work each day. Yes, they are all beige, cookie-cutter dwellings but we have an amazingly huge population of artists here. Its all just wood and cement, the individuality is the people.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:22 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
I have a lot of relatives who live in 55+ communities. Me, I like looking out the window and seeing a kid once in a while.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:33 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
I mean no offense to those who have found communities to their liking. This is directed at those of us who would like something different. We’re in a too large house and could possibly be talked into downsizing to a retirement community that offered some care options as we get older. The problem is that they are so boring! There is almost no variation in them, manicured settings, golf, pools, hiking trails, blah, blah, blah. The only things I’ve seen are a community or two in Florida or Arizona (can’t remember which now) with an emphasis on those who like cars and RVs. The homes have oversized garages and space for those hobbies.

Has anyone discovered anything different in what’s available? Anything trending?

We are resigned right now to living where we are until we can’t. I just dread moving to the things I see. Maybe I’ll get lucky and just croak right here.
Interesting thread, I hope there is input. I've been to the Villages in Florida. I wasn't impressed but to say that is unfair but I was only there for a day. My girlfriend and I just traveled throughout Florida just to get away. Dear Hubby's stayed home. It's amazing that two good friends can't travel without being asked if we are gay. Anyway, I've always flown but I'd like to just jump in the car and travel west, then go to Oregon and travel down the CA coast, stay as long or as little as we like. I know it's not long term but we've planned all our lives so why not wing it for once.

I'm wondering if I could do the RV life but don't know where to start with that.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:41 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
We’re in a too large house and could possibly be talked into downsizing...
We are resigned right now to living where we are until we can’t.
Middle ground: Stay in the same community you know but in a smaller property (or apt).

For most the real issues are managing the COST's of staying where they've been.
If you don't have that problem consider yourself lucky.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
I don't like gated and segregated communities (in this case the segregation is by age).

I visited 3 Del Webbs, 2 out of curiosity and 1 when friends moved there. They lasted 2 years. They said there were too many cliques and it reminded them of HS.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...nities-112302/

Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Oh goodie, a retirement home where everyone is drunk all the time. I like to have a couple drinks, but I can have fun without it too. Why is it that at any age people seem to think that the only time you can have fun is if your drunk?

Old 08-12-2018, 12:05 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I don't like gated and segregated communities (in this case the segregation is by age).

I visited 3 Del Webbs, 2 out of curiosity and 1 when friends moved there. They lasted 2 years. They said there were too many cliques and it reminded them of HS.

It's always high school no matter where you go or how old you get. If you weren't part of the popular crowd in HS, age or location isn't gonna change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement