Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:08 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,689,802 times

Advertisements

Old age and social cliques seem to be at some very real odds, I couldn't imagine living with a large group of older folks who are still relating to an outdated notion of a good time. Retirement is still a relatively new phenomenon in US society, and as much as we'd like to think of our leisure days as a reward for working it really is a disguised attempt to displace the old and re-staff with the young. That alone should be a clue that we really aren't moving into a "special" world, it just means we outlived our on the job utility. The end of work connotes little beyond that realization and seldom calls for a different address and a whole "new" life..

A recent trip to Green Valley AZ to see friend's who live in a large gated retirement village was a real eye opener. Golf and the onsite bar and grill seemed to be the dominant social activity scene, the many, hours long, town bar--happy hours were also well attended, seems that a profound boredom has set in for those who had seniority there. I'll stay in our home until they carry me out, or, we may just move to a small condo in a few years if the house gets to be too much work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 12:23 PM

6,635 posts, read 7,370,784 times
An observation I have made is that when you downsize to a small home storage space can become a problem. Thus having a large garage can be beneficial.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:46 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,647,518 times
Thanks for the comments and links. We can stay in our home financially. It’s the health/wellness future that is a big question mark.

Even though I’m 70, I have an obnoxiously loud, at times, hobby car, I have a home theater system that we use heavily for movies and rock concert DVDs at near live volumes. This would definitely not work with any dwelling that had shared walls.

We also prefer woods, rocks, i.e. nature rather than lawns, tennis courts and golf courses. My wife has a few friends; I basically have none except her and the cats and I like it that way...people don’t matter to me except when they’re annoying me. Basically, we don’t seem to fit in with a lot of what we see.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:24 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I have a lot of relatives who live in 55+ communities. Me, I like looking out the window and seeing a kid once in a while.
In our 55+ kids visit all the time, including our grands. There are certain hours that they can use the pools also.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:33 PM

8,801 posts, read 5,101,796 times
Love to see them....love to see them go

Old 08-12-2018, 02:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,918,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It's always high school no matter where you go or how old you get. If you weren't part of the popular crowd in HS, age or location isn't gonna change that.
I rarely disagree with you, but.....

We graduated HS in 1969 and 1970. We were hippie-wannabees, my husband got kicked out of public HS in Virginia because he wouldn't cut his hair (parents were liberals and moved him to a private school for last 2 years). I grew up in rust belt conservative city....few hippies but I hung out with them on weekends before going off to college. At my public HS back then, jocks were still king and cheerleaders were princesses.

FFWD to retirement at ages 50 and 51 in 2003. We left DC-Metro for funky mountain town in AZ....everyone else who had moved there in the 2 or 3 years before we did (and thereafter) were just like us! Same deal when we picked an artsy MXN village in 2008; decent number of ex-hippie types among the expats. And guess what....again when we moved to funky, artsy, gay-centric town in FL west coast.

So YES where you retire does make a big difference and YES you can be more popular in retirement than you were in HS And my take on over-55 gated communities, they are not filled with old hippie types, based on those we have visited and the one our friends lived at.

Last edited by dothetwist; 08-12-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-12-2018, 02:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I rarely disagree with you, but.....

We graduated HS in 1969 and 1970. We were hippie-wannabees, my husband got kicked out of public HS in Virginia because he wouldn't cut his hair (parents were liberals and moved him to a private school for last 2 years). I grew up in rust belt conservative city....few hippies but I hung out with them on weekends before going off to college. At my public HS back then, jocks were still king and cheerleaders were princesses.

FFWD to retirement at ages 50 and 51 in 2003. We left DC-Metro for funky mountain town in AZ....everyone else who had moved there in the 2 or 3 years before we did (and thereafter) were just like us! Same deal when we picked an artsy MXN village in 2008; decent number of ex-hippie types among the expats. And guess what....again when we moved to funky, artsy, gay-centric town in FL west coast.

So YES where you retire does make a big difference and YES you can be more popular in retirement than you were in HS And my take on over-55 gated communities, they are not filled with old hippie types, based on those we have visited and the one our friends lived at.

Our 55+ isn't gated and it is older, built in 1968. There are plenty of old hippie types and it is increasing as more older boomers retire. The art, music, woodworking, & volunteer groups naturally have lots of old hippie members, but they are also prominent in the exercise, hiking, travel, & swimming groups.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:34 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,069,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I have a lot of relatives who live in 55+ communities. Me, I like looking out the window and seeing a kid once in a while.
Gotta practice that “get off my lawn” on someone, right?

Old 08-12-2018, 03:41 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,104,535 times
I think it depends what you like. I have visited friends in some 55+ communities and they love it. When I was there we went hiking, play tennis/ pickle ball, saw a concert put up by community musicians some had been professional singers earlier in life others were amateurs but it was terrific. They had classes and discussions regarding current events and many volunteered in community. I found their circle of friends to be very bright, energetic and interesting people. Not once did we go to the happy hour deals. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
So my advice is visit and see how comfortable you feel with people and area and look at the groups that have interests similar to yours and you might come out with a different view of the place.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:47 PM

6,886 posts, read 11,264,021 times
Smile Just spoke to a couple last week ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I mean no offense to those who have found communities to their liking. This is directed at those of us who would like something different. We’re in a too large house and could possibly be talked into downsizing to a retirement community that offered some care options as we get older. The problem is that they are so boring! There is almost no variation in them, manicured settings, golf, pools, hiking trails, blah, blah, blah. The only things I’ve seen are a community or two in Florida or Arizona (can’t remember which now) with an emphasis on those who like cars and RVs. The homes have oversized garages and space for those hobbies.

Has anyone discovered anything different in what’s available? Anything trending?

We are resigned right now to living where we are until we can’t. I just dread moving to the things I see. Maybe I’ll get lucky and just croak right here.
This couple is moving to Margaritaville in Daytona Beach.

(Note: Didn't realize there was an article from Rolling Stone posted about this, however, this couple told us last weekend, people are already living there, loving it and they are selling like hotcakes. I would classify this couple as non-drinkers but they like to have fun but they are not drinkers.
Very healthy looking; met them at a wedding and then found out they are close friends of the cousin we were there for; was shocked when we were told they were 60 plus; thought they looked like around 50 tops. Both husband and wife will retire with a pension; guess that helps keep you happy

Last edited by Bette; 08-12-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement