Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 06:11 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The defense must be proportional to the threat.
What he needed was a spare.
One on the charger, one on him.

I hope where ever life took him after that, he found better things.
He went to a nursing home and rehab, and is now seeking an assisted living facility. Process interrupted by the covid-19 lockdown.

Each time he fell, he had to go to the hospital and was checked in until a Dr said sorry, you're not going home. It's no longer safe for you. We agreed.

He felt he only needed it when he went out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 03:13 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,289,729 times
Don’t get an Apple Watch for someone who is elderly and not tech savvy. Trust me, it won’t work. My fall detection has gone off 4 times, and I didn’t fall. If you raise your arm too high, it goes off. You need to know how to respond. It’s a very advanced device. Just get the life alert pendant.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:40 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Although not exclusively focused on personal alert systems (as it has been written from the point of view of alerts to family members), this is a very good article on the topic -

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/b...uarantine.html

Old 06-11-2021, 01:29 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Bumping this thread, as we are now looking for a device for my 88 y.o. father-in-law, who fell in the bathtub last week and sat there until a neighbor noticed he hadn't pulled his shades up all day. (Bless that neighbor.) Besides calling him on the phone every day from now on, we're looking at medical alert devices. I checked Life Alert, but they are the most expensive plan and their website requires a 3-year contract. What?

ADT has a system and we've also looked at the Lively system, formerly known as Great Call. Anyone have any good or experience with those 2 or with another system? We need fall detection and whatever device he wears has to be able to get wet when he's in the bathtub or shower.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 06-11-2021, 01:30 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
My dad is required to wear one in his assisted living facility, thankfully. Before that, he had one and needed one but he wouldn't wear and and didn't use it. He "didn't want to bother anyone." Sigh.

Old 06-11-2021, 03:38 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
We went with Bay Medical. No contract. So far, service is excellent.

Old 06-11-2021, 03:49 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
This is one thing that has always concerned me, as I have thought about getting one for one of my loved ones. Before I retired, one of the phrases I heard, almost daily, was "butt dialed."
I've pushed my Life Alert button by accident a few times and the response is always "We're glad you're okay" once they identify me. I got the Life Alert because a friend of mine who lives alone had a stroke and couldn't speak well enough to summon help.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:58 AM

1,489 posts, read 795,625 times
I'll say it again that the Apple watch is ideal for this. If you fall it will give you 60 seconds to swipe the watch that you are ok, if you don't respond it will call 911 and guide them to you with built in GPS. The only thing is you must have an Apple iPhone to use with it. There is no required monthly fee other than the cell phone service.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:32 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
I got a Great Call device that has GPS. I wanted it because I walk dogs in the dark and during winter and if I fell on the ice and injured myself I could call for help and be found.

Also for travel or going out on an isolated bike or park trail. Should I need medical assistance or be attacked I can summon help.

I dont wear it all the time but it is nice to know I have it. Helps a lot with my anxiety. I live alone and have had periods of panic attacks. If I need to I can press the button just to talk to someone.

The other night I tossed it in a chair after taking it off and I got a phone call immediately checking to see if I fell. So yes, it has "fall alert". lol

Mine is completely free through my Medicare HMO. It has really helped reduce my anxiety since I live alone.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:40 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
My FIL had the Great Call one I think? This was prior to last year, he is now 91.

Problem was, he needed to put it on a charger to keep it activated.

He fell 3 times in his multilevel home within 5 weeks, and was hospitalized.

GUESS where his alert necklace was EACH time he fell?

That's right...on the charger.

It does little good if you aren't actually wearing it!

So, take heed...

I put mine on the charger overnight next to my bed. I can put it on if I get up in the night. In the morning it is charged for the entire day and goes back on the charger at night. Beats having to change out batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement