Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 AM

774 posts, read 1,050,063 times

Advertisements

This is one of the best retirement articles I've seen https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...cid=spartandhp

The author breaks down the likely expenses in low, medium and high cost of living areas in Florida. I like that she uses realistic SS income projections and provides estimates of how large a portfolio needed to augment SS in each scenario.

Last edited by djplourd; 07-17-2018 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Seems a bit out of whack.

$3,000 annually for gas? Seems high. Lawn bills seem high too, unless you're not doing it yourself.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 AM

989 posts, read 770,179 times
We live 30 miles South of Jacksonville in a beach town. You cannot buy a decent home for $165k period! A dump in a crappy area maybe. It is so far off for the JAX area unless you live in a poor run down OLD neighborhood. Median price means nothing for REAL housing calculations.

Our home is >3,000sqft and cost less to insure and run than the example in this report and we are walking distance from a beach. Other items are more expensive. Food is more for example. We average $7,500 a year but do not eat out much.

We do not do our own lawn maintenance and it is $160pm. House Taxes are higher for us as we have a larger home. HOA Costs are about right. We lease a car too and is it ~$400pm.

I am concerned that people write this stuff leading folk into a poor sense of security. I do not know about Boca and Orlando. Both are too crowded for retirement IMHO anyway, and the traffic is unbearable. The Weather in inland Florida is terrible also. 10 miles from the beach is really the better climate all round the Florida coasts. We have been her for 14 years so we talk from experience.

JAX is the best of the 3 but you really need to re-evaluate the housing costs. A simple Zillow check will reveal that one cannot but a decent home in a decent area for <$300k.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
we priced living in the villages .

costs with no mortgage run about 1k a month with a nice home in the 225-325k range . that is village dues , utilities , bug maintenance ,taxes , home maint. , insurance and cable

Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
This is one of the best retirement articles I've seen https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...cid=spartandhp

The author breaks down the likely expenses in low, medium and high cost of living areas in Florida. I like that she uses realistic SS income projections and provides estimates of how large a portfolio needed to augment SS in each scenario.
What I think is hilarious is that the linked article from MSN is based on a withdrawal rate of 4%...

Quote:
In general, retirees can withdraw a maximum of 4% of their portfolio each year without being at risk of depleting their portfolio too early, so the total portfolio value needed to supplement Social Security income to cover expenses in each city is the variable in our calculation.
...but just yesterday, MSN posted an article entitled Don't Cheat Yourself with the 4% Rule, and in that article, they quote the esteemed retirement expert Michael Kitces as saying: Unless we see the return of a Great Depression era, followers of the 4% rule “will most commonly just leave a huge amount of money left over.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ule/ar-AAwJz1S

Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,062 times
I have relatives in FL, some of whom are not doing all that well financially, and it's quite possible to get by on less.

My brother's ex wife did get lucky on housing, buying a new duplex town house at the bottom of an overbuilding downturn a few years ago. I don't know her exact costs, but she mentioned that her total income is around $40k. She is not within walking distance of the water. Bay access is a couple of miles away. She works at a marina on the bay. Beach is about 15 or 20 minutes.

I have 2 cousins within walking distance of the beach, both in older homes, one of which is a converted rental cottage. Neither has an HOA or high property value. Admittedly, some people might be put off by the quality (and size, in the case of the converted cottage) of their homes, but they live simply for far less than the costs listed.

the examples above are in the panhandle.

My sister and her husband rent a small house near JAX; close enough for him to work there. Beach is a ~20 minute drive. I know their total income is under $50k. They don't have a lot left over, but they get by okay.

I think there is an assumption about lifestyle in the article that is more than some of us would insist on.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:34 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Interesting information in this article. It's particularly interesting to me since I live in one of the three cities that were discussed.

Of course, everyone's individual situation is going to differ from the hypothetical couple in the article. Some of the amounts that are cited for Orlando are similar to my expenses, others are very different.

I wonder where the analyst got her information about car insurance. It has been my experience that the amount you pay for car insurance is very different from south FL to north FL.

And where is this hypothetical retired couple driving to so much that they spend $250 a month on gas for one car?

Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 AM

989 posts, read 770,179 times
I think the article can be subjective for most of the general expenses. Where it is really out is for Decent Housing Costs. At least IMHO Living in a beach town, walking distance from the beach, and close to everything else.

Car insurance for us is $800 a year for a new BMW. We spend about $50 a month on Gas but everything is very close.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...83_rect/13_zm/

Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Seems a bit out of whack.

$3,000 annually for gas? Seems high. Lawn bills seem high too, unless you're not doing it yourself.
$3000 is $57 a week. Not crazy at $2.85 a gallon it is 20 gallons a week.

The lawn also includes sewer/water bills also.

Odd part is the $250 a month HOA usually includes cable and water in some places. If you live in a condo then the lawn is included also.

The pic of the Boca Raton Inlet is easily 20+ years old. These condos have been there since 2010:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...98_rect/14_zm/

Note the HOA fee of $7000 a month, this place surely skews the numbers!

The $97,675 annual tax bill hurts too!

Old 07-17-2018, 09:11 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
$3000 is $57 a week. Not crazy at $2.85 a gallon it is 20 gallons a week.

The lawn also includes sewer/water bills also.

Odd part is the $250 a month HOA usually includes cable and water in some places. If you live in a condo then the lawn is included also.

The pic of the Boca Raton Inlet is easily 20+ years old. These condos have been there since 2010:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...98_rect/14_zm/

Note the HOA fee of $7000 a month, this place surely skews the numbers!

The $97,675 annual tax bill hurts too!
The people who can afford that much for a condo probably have enough spending power that the other costs are just drops in a bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement