Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

If you are in her life, she will name you. Tell your granddaughter to let her name you as she begins to talk.

My grandson called both his grandmas a cute name—Mimi, I think. But his parents constantly corrected him, and now he just calls us grandma and our first name. Totally fine, but being called Mimi would have been so cute.

When he names you, just say, yes I am whatever. I think you’ll really enjoy having that special name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
When my grandson started talking my mom wanted to be called Grand-Mama. He had already mastered Grandma for me and looked confused when we tried to teach him Grand-Mama - I guess it sounded too similar. We ended up with MaMa Thelma, which surprised my mother because she thought her name would be too difficult for a toddler to say. His other great grandma became Mama Dorfie (Dorothy). He was very adamant that it was Dorfie and not Dorothy.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:37 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
All I know is, I’m so grateful that I have them all, that they can call me whatever they want. We are blessed in that our DIL is very close to her grandparents, and parents.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
When I was about nine we moved to a new neighborhood. My mother had invited our new next door neighbor lady over to chat, and I mentioned something about visiting my grandmother.

My mother hauled off and slapped my face. "She's not your grandmother. She's my stepmother!"

With this she was off and running as the new wacky neighbor.

Bizarre thing is my mother cultivated a relationship with this woman that was frequent and cordial, and I was always along...and clueless that this nomenclature was a hot potato. I guess I had never used that title before as I did call her by her first name. Parents need to be seen, not heard more often and let the kids and the grands do their stuff without this helicoptering and manipulation.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Grandpa and Grandma by all five and that’s the way we wanted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement