Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:50 PM

23,210 posts, read 29,023,557 times

Advertisements

I've been retired since June 1 and I'm having a helluva time getting my days straight. And, does it really matter?

One weekend, being I just moved to Tucson, I noticed the mail man coming around on Sunday, and thought: One more plus to Tucson, mail delivery 7 days a week! And? It was Saturday, not Sunday.

This last weekend, I waited all day for the mail man and he never arrived. Around 5pm, I asked my roommate: what day is it? Sunday!!!

Glad that I asked him, as there was a big to-do in the community center Labor day, and if I hadn't asked, I would have gone to this to-do Tuesday at 5:30pm and wonder: Where is everybody?

I have a retired friend in Arkansas, and she, too, gets her days mixed up, so I'm not alone!

My flip-up phone only gives me the time, not the date.

One hard lesson learned: when writing checks for monthly bills, make triple-sure the date is correct, as one time I wrote down the proceeding month instead of the current month on the check, and? This guy is post-dating his check so he must not have the funds! What a costly senior moment that was!!!

Anyone else get screwed up with their retirement days? Missed any appointments as a result of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 12:54 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Get an iPhone. It gives you the time, day and date. Just pick it up and hold it vertically.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
No. It's right in front of me on my phone. Plus I keep a calendar for my part time business and social engagements.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:06 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,202,768 times
I have a flip phone that tells me the day, date, and time. I use it for that more than as a phone.

Also, got a watch as a retirement gift from where I worked. Never wore a watch before I retired; now I feel lost without it.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:07 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
You need one of these. Mrs5150 got this as gag gift when I retired that turned out to be very useful.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:20 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
My cell phone provides date and day of week and my laptop shows the date. But I have gotten confused on day of the week several times in the last few months. Usually when I am preocupied working on a home project and not going out much. Fortunately in all these cases I had "gained" a day so had extra time to complete my project. So far I have not missed any appointments but I don't have that many and check the calendar more often if there is an upcoming doctor's appointment, etc. I find not having to pay attention to the day of the week liberating but then I am a bit of a hermit.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:02 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Not anymore messed up than when I was 20. Manys the time I would swear it was Wednesday, at work, and it was Thursday. I still occasionally do that.

Agree to get an I phone or watch that tells you the day & date along with the time.

Watches ----- I stopped wearing watches in my thirties. I was able to "guess" the time within 15 minutes and grew weary of something burdening my wrist nearly every day; I can still do that reasonably well. That may come with having grown up on a dairy farm ---- milking cows requires a strict time frame that needs adhered to morning and evening 365 days/year

Old 09-07-2018, 04:23 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Get a clock like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVP2HS6..._t1_B07226XGQB

KEY FEATURES - This unique 8" High Resolution Digital Alarm Clock clearly spells out the time, period of the day, full day of the week, month and date in large, clear letters - with no confusing abbreviations.

I call it my Alzheimer clock.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:33 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
I've always worried about the "oriented x 3" thing - that is, are you oriented to time, person and place as a quick check on dementia. Obviously the date and day of week are of very little importance once you stop working and don't have to abide by society's routines. Half the time I don't know the date, as in day of the month and I STILL work!

That you know the date seems to be a test derived by younger, non-retired people that should not carry quite as much weight certainly as "person" and "place".

Remember the line from Downton Abbey - "What is the week end" - obviously to the upper crust back then, the day of the week mattered little because they didn't work in the traditional sense - they relied on their incomes.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:40 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
I can be off by a few days sometimes. My wife just reminded me it was Friday (pizza and beer night) and I thanked her because I would have said it was Thursday. Having said that, I’ve always had a problem with time and even chronology to some extent. When I was working, it used to drive my wife nuts when she asked what I was doing tomorrow. I would always tell her the truth, no idea. I would just wake up that morning, look in my DayTimer, and do whatever was written there. I liked not having to think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement